16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Another Model 12 Question
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

Looking at some Model 12's from the 20's & 30's with 2 9/16 inch chambers. Will these guns cycle modern 2 3/4 inch shells?

Rick

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
IDcut
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

My 16 gauge with the 2 9/16" chambers won't eject the 2 3/4" shells. I would assume that your 20 g. would behave the same. The ejection port is too short.
CH
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:04 pm  Reply with quote

The 20s have a reputation for WORKING with 2 3/4 inch ammunition (my 2 1/2" 1913 gun does) while the 16s have a reputation for NOT WORKING with 2 3/4 inch ammunition.

Many have been worked on since then. You have to try it, I guess.
Bronco
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:18 am  Reply with quote

Were most early 20ga M12's of the short chambered variety? My 1913 vintage 20ga is marked 2 3/4 inch. Bob
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:52 pm  Reply with quote

Guess I didn't make my first post clear. I had been looking at some 16 ga. model 12's built in the 1920's & 1930's. I found a nice model 12 16 ga. built in the late 1940's chambered for 2 3/4 inch shells so I won't be having a problem with shell length. Thanks for the info anyway.

Rick

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
walt lister
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:46 am  Reply with quote

Shortening the ejector about 1/8th" will help longer shells clear the port. I've shot 2 3/4" shells in my 1921 #12 for years and had few problems. In answer to Broco's post, many short chamber guns were sent back to Winchester fo have the chamber and port opened up for the longer shells. When this was done they were marked 2 3/4 near the ser #.
Bronco, if you get the chance to compare your #12 with a later one look closely at the front of the ejection port. There should be a small difference where it had been machined to open it up to accomodate the longer shells.