16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Black Remington hull safety issue
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:55 am  Reply with quote

The "burst barrel" post inder the General Discussion section has me worried. Anybody have any opinions or info. regarding the safety of the plastic base wads in tne black Rem?

I'm wondering if anybody finds it neccessary to inspect the hulls (base wads) or if anyone's noticed the base wads becoming flawed as do fiber type base wads sometimes. I will not load fiber base wads.

My Rems hulls vary in age and condition from once fired to approximately 6-7 times fired (or more ?). Being raised on compression formed hulls until bitten by the 16 bug recently, I was not in the habit of inspecting base
wads. I've just been loading them but only inspecting the case mouths.

I guess it won't be too inconvient to grab a flashlight and start checking the base wads but still, I'm wondering what the likelihood of a base failure causing a similar burst is even if the base appears to look good visually prior to loading.

I've never seen a bad base ewad in a hull, what are we looking for?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:42 am  Reply with quote

You should be checking the bore after shooting to make sure no basewad is lodged just in front of your chanber. If shooting a SxS, this is no problem. Pumps or autos may require a stronger puff thru the bbl.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

I was about to post on this myself, so thank you grouse gunner for starting this thread.

The question still remains: is there a safety issue with Rem black hulls???

Do we need to inspect the base wads before each reloading? Do we need to reload these hulls fewer times? Or is the only answer to check the barrel after each shot (harder to do on pumps and semiautos)?

I'm not yet a reloader, but plan to be soon and am collecting black hulls, so this is of critical interest to me (and others, I assume).

Would appreciate some experienced advice.
Bobshouse
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:11 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot mine through my Browning Sweet 16...almost makes me want to trade for an O/U. Are there any compression formed hulls out there that would not have this problem for the 16 gauge?

Getting tired of dropping a pebble through the barrel after each shot, really getting to be a PITA. I don't trust blowing down the barrel, gotta have a visual for me.

Bob
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

I load the blacks almost exclusively my thoughts;
1.ANY offsounding load should be cause for concern-check your bore.
2.I have loaded these hulls 8-10 times with no problems.
3.Inspect the hull before each loading session.
4.Unlike a fibre wad{Federal}Moisture is not an enemy except to the metal.
5.See number 1
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:33 am  Reply with quote

I have never heard of a base wad seperation involving a plastic base wad. However, I also follow the advice that all polyformed hulls should be at least visually inspected for a loose or seperated base wads. A better way is the stick test. simply place a flat bottomed 1/2" dowel into the hull and check how far in it seats against a witness mark on its side. If the witness mark is above the mouth of the hull, the base wad is loose and has moved forward. Throw the hull away.

I also reload them no more than 5 times max. Most of the mouths of my Remington hulls start to split at about the fourth reloading. If its not too bad, I'll load it one more time. however, if the split extends through the folding portion of the mouth, I chuck it. I suppose you could trim these cast offs for 2-1/2 inch reloading but I never do.

Further, I use an MEC grabber and resize the base of every shell, every time. With plastic base wads, this usually helps extend the life of the hull. Its just the opposite for fiber base wads. fiber wads get compacted and loosen up. That is why the old timers recommended 2 reloadings max and dispose of them.

Further, any fiber based Remington hulls that use the old 57* primer are at least 20 years old now. Don't use them, even the once fired ones saved from shooting an old but properly stored box of ammo. I have found that a large number of the old 57* primers needed to reload these old hulls have reliability issues. They are all at least 20 years old too. Most have been exposed to repeated seasons of heat and cold, moisture and drying, mold, dust, and just age. They cause way to many hang fires and squib loads. more guns are damaged or destroyed from squib loads than loose base wads. Save these old primers for the antique ammo collectors and don't use them any more. Why risk a perfectly good gun to save a few pennies. That is not smart, its being a skinflint. Wink 16GG.