16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Anybody shoot a Beretta?
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

In reviewing the threads on the Forum, it seems like we all talk about our classic SxSs, Browning O/Us, Model-12s, and Ithaca M-37s but no one ever mentions Beretta-What's the deal? I recall some posts on the 'Shot Show' thread about wanting Beretta to bring out a true 16g frame O/U and revive the SxS line. Have they not made 16g. guns for the U.S. market since the 60's? You fellas keeping your heads down?
Brad6260
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

Hello,
Let me introduce myself.......Nah .

Ok drew I was considering using an alias because I know all too well that your going to come back with some sort of crap about me owning yet another gun.

I carried my Beretta 687 Grade IV a lot this past year and you know it's hard to get a SXS out of my hands but that is a real sweet handling 20 gauge O/U. Fit, finish,wood and feel are really very good for a sub 2k gun.

Ok you can get it out of your system now.

Adios,
Brad
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

16g. Society: 574-Beretta: 1
SOMEBODY out there-give Brad6260 a liitle help! Crying or Very sad
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

Uhhh-If it's not a 16 and no one makes it we don't talk about it.
MGF
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:48 am  Reply with quote

Well, I'm a newbie to 16s and the board, but I do have two Berettas. One is an older 12 ga. 686S SP ultralight with 28" barrels. Plain as mud stock and black-matte finish ... but a joy to carry and puts pheasant in the freezer.

The other is a 12 ga. 687 SPII Sporting with 30" barrels that is my "all-purpose" clays gun. Feels like a weighty beast compared to my field guns, but soaks up recoil nicely and is a smooth swinger once you get 'er moving.

Were Beretta to put out a 16 on a true 16 frame in the 686 or 687 line, I'd buy one immediately.

No offense to the Citori boys, but I've owned one in 12 and one in 20, and they just don't work out all that well for me compared to the other B gun. Don't know if it's the depth of the receiver or what, but I shoot the Berettas better.
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:41 am  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
16g. Society: 574-Beretta: 1
SOMEBODY out there-give Brad6260 a liitle help! Crying or Very sad

Geez, I am always bailing him out... needs last minute hunting partner, who does he call? Wants to hunt NE next year, who does he call? Must be the whole 2 Brads from Kentucky thing... LOL...

Seriously, though Beretta's are good solid guns, probably more so for clays than for upland, which is what most of us do the majority of here. Also, as hoa implies, if it ain't 16ga, we dont talk about it much here.

I have had 3 Beretta's and would love to have one in a 16 gauge, but they don't seem all that interested in making one. I currently have a SPII, 687 12 gauge and one of the finer automatics in their 390 12 gauge. I also used to own a 20ga White Onyx. Grr, I wish I still had that gun.

Anyway, I like all of those guns for various things. The SPII is really good for sporting clays and skeet/trap, what little of it I do. I shoot low gun because all I am really doing is practicing for bird season. The 390 is a really solid Auto, mostly used as my turkey and bad weather gun.

Berettas are good guns. If they made 16's we would probably talk about them at least as much as the Browning Sissytoris... which at least in 12ga fit me about as well as a fence post and is about as pleasant to swing. LOL, I know thems fighting words, but hey I'm definitely in the classic sxs camp.

Cheers,

KyBrad (from the better city in Kentucky, as opposed to that midwestern city on the river in Indiana... I mean look at basketball. NIT? Sad, sad...*GRIN*)
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:49 am  Reply with quote

MGF wrote:

Were Beretta to put out a 16 on a true 16 frame in the 686 or 687 line, I'd buy one immediately.

No offense to the Citori boys, but I've owned one in 12 and one in 20, and they just don't work out all that well for me compared to the other B gun. Don't know if it's the depth of the receiver or what, but I shoot the Berettas better.

Bingo, that's exactly right on both points. Plus, dont be afraid to call it like you see it. A spade is a spade and a Citori is a fencepost, simple as that. LOL

I would buy a 16 on a true 16 gauge frame made by Beretta in a heartbeat, even a sxs silverhawk, but I would much prefer a 686/7 O/U. However, if you were around for our SHOT show report MGF, you know that Beretta doesnt seem to have any plans for an O/U. Sigh... I wish they could do a limited production run like the Brownings, but nope. Oh well...

I couldn't have said it better myself. Like you, I don't know if its the depth of the reciever or stock dimensions, or weight, or balance point or different forearm, but I shoot the Beretta's better as well.

Cheers,

Brad
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:26 am  Reply with quote

Great-we got two moonshine drinkin' Kentucky boys named Brad and MGF with Berettas. What's the deal?!? Question
And MGF: Don't worry about insulting the sissy-tori guys-you don't carry one if you take offense easily Laughing
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:47 am  Reply with quote

I don't let fools and dumbasses upset me. Heck, they can't help it if they wouldn't know a good gun it it landed slap upside their fuddled little heads. Laughing
MGF
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

Birds in the freezer, dust that used to be clay birds in the air ... and no fenceposts in my gun safe. Dumbass I may be, but life is good. Cool

Seriously, it's not that I didn't want the Citoris to work out for me. Heck, I did buy and try a couple. Browning makes good guns for the dollar, and I wish they fit me better ... but the actual shooting convinced me I had to turn elsewhere.

If the Citioris did fit me better, I wouldn't have to look all over hell's half-acre every time I want a decent gun at a reasonable price ... but such is life.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

I think the last sxs 16's Beretta made were those in the 409 (essentially same gun as the old Silver Hawk) series, and they stopped making them in the late 60's. Check that . . . they did make the GR series guns (68-76 or so) in 16ga, but the only GR 16 I've ever seen had sling swivels, etc, no importer's name on the gun, so my guess is it was acquired overseas. Doubt we'll ever see a Beretta 16ga sxs. Not sure I have ever seen a Beretta 16ga OU, although I'd be willing to bet they did make them for the European market.
woodcock
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:08 pm  Reply with quote

Back to the question at hand---16gauge guns and who makes 'em----- and who doesn't----and why we wish they would, etc.,etc.,etc.
My surmise is that the chance of a new 16 ga. on the market is pretty slim---just not enough profit in it -----BUT why couldn't we lobby for a nice 16 on a currently produced 20 gauge frame---how sweet! AND, it has previously been done. One would get the idea that such a gun could be produced again with much less investment by the manufacturer. Whaddya' think?
MGF
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:32 am  Reply with quote

KyBrad16ga,
Got a link to that Shot Show report?
Tried a search, but am getting back an ungodly large number of results to sift through.
Thanks.
Mark
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:04 am  Reply with quote

Very interesting. 16g. Society: 574 vs. Beretta: MGF and the KY moonshine twins Brad and his brother Brad.
One would think from the Forum discussions that more 16ers shoot Darnes and Charlins (FRENCH guns for goodness sakes Shocked) than Berettas. Now I know for a fact 16gg shoots one of those other Eye-Tal-Yun Pur-zinni-elli things. I've had a 390 Trap and 682 Unsingle that I couldn't hit the trap house with but a buddy has a fancy 6-something Sporting gun he had the stock custom bent and it pointed like a dream for me.
If anybody has an in with Browning, they might point this thread out to the management as pretty strong justification for expanding their $1000-2000 16g. line-they seem to own it. Thoughts?

Last edited by revdocdrew on Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
MGF
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:53 am  Reply with quote

I can understand why some guys just can't trust that Beretta company. They just haven't been around very long, and who knows if they'll stay on the market. Laughing