16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  RGL Headache
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:15 pm  Reply with quote

Picked up 50 once fired RGL's the other day--went to load and thought I would pull my hair out.Grabber was set up to load the same---couldn't get a w ad to seat--ended up placing them by hand after useing needle nose pliers to open them up --STILL a tight fit-never experienced this problem before--Dropped wad guide down,etc. Also couldn't keep a consistent crimp for more then a few hulls.This is not my first time loading shells--It's almost as if the hulls were somewhat undersized?????
deer hunter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:20 pm  Reply with quote

rgl's are the smallest inside diameter . Depending on your wad choice , they can be a little testy . I have the 12 ga grabber 8'' away from the 16 - when ready for the wad , I put the 16 on the primer seat rammer and shove it in till it hits the shoulder . Dr's and gualandi still go in tight but will work . rem and AA wads should be easier to set in .

huntNnut
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:24 pm  Reply with quote

Gotta watch Remingtons, some are a little shorter than others. If you look some are 70MM and others are 67MM, it is written on the side of the hull sometimes. Both are sold in boxes that say 2 3/4".

Beautiful isn't it?

hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:51 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys---I have loaded 1000's with the Grabber-only adjusted the crimp starter,powder and shot then was ready to go---no matter what hull--this one thru me for a loop--never thought to measure the hull thats' why I dropped the Winchester's in the first place years ago.
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Would warming them on a radiator make them more pliable?

deer hunter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:58 am  Reply with quote

Mark , those cases I got from you are MAXXXX length . About 1/2 won't come out any of my m12's . Ok in the 870 of course . But , shave 1/16 or less off the mouth and they are fine ! Guys - just goes to show how extremely touchy some of the old guns are ! Sounds like a fairly simple thing to shave these off , but it isn't , so they go in the 870 ! bill the jackass ! don't ask , right Joel !?

huntNnut
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:32 am  Reply with quote

Bill,

Those new Remingtons you have are untouched, basically still in the rough. Full length and unskived. That is why I never messed with them.

I have on old Model 12 - 16 Gauge 2 9/16" chamber, untouched, that I was thinking of using those hulls for. I was going to trim and then roll crimp them. Then I happened upon some 67mm Fiocchi hulls that were skived. That ended my fascination with those Remingtons.

I hate roll crimps, except for the fact they look nice. Embarassed Laughing

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
Picked up 50 once fired RGL's the other day--went to load and thought I would pull my hair out.Grabber was set up to load the same---couldn't get a w ad to seat--ended up placing them by hand after useing needle nose pliers to open them up --STILL a tight fit-never experienced this problem before--Dropped wad guide down,etc. Also couldn't keep a consistent crimp for more then a few hulls.This is not my first time loading shells--It's almost as if the hulls were somewhat undersized?????

I've experienced some fairly wide variation in length and in volume as well with RGL hulls. Last year, I started into a stash of 10 year old plus once fired RGL black hulls. Aside from the slightly longer copper colored steel bases, the hulls appeared to be identical to the newer ones with brass colored bases. I had to remove one of the 28 ga filler wads I normally use in an R16 wad to load my standard 3/4 ounce load. These older hulls are within a few thousanths of the newer ones in length so they have to have less volume. I can't figure how this is so, but I can't get a good closed crimp unless I load in only one filler wad instaed of my usual two. Go figure. Arguing with the older hulls gets me nowhere. Laughing

All I can suggest is to keep fiddling with your press adjustments until you get what you want and don't mix up the hulls with any of your other RGL hulls. Anyway, good luck.
Peacore
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the post guys.

I am just getting ready to load a large quantity of these hulls for summer skeet and I intend to use the DR wad.

I'm just finishing loading a years supply of the new Win AA HS 28 ga. hulls and had a heck of a problem because of verying lengths. I ended up setting my caliper to the long length and passing each hull through it to sort them so I can load without problems.

I'll be checking my RGL hulls before I start loading. Hope I find just two lengths. I'll be using a Size Master 77, usually it works pretty good.

Ernie

Stack16
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

Derhunter---Bill,

bill the jackass ! don't ask , right Joel !?

Joel is,nt the only one that knows about this---- I heard her as soon as
she hit the porch. At first I thought " are you talking to me lady"

I'm surprised she did'nt take you out to the correl to take A picture with one of the real ones so she could say that she had A picture of A pair of Jackasses.

Griff
deer hunter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:39 pm  Reply with quote

John , that's close to more info than we all need to know ! It was funny though , wasn't it !?

Stack16
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

It was funny though , wasn't it !?

Yeah, it was, I can still hear Nick laughing almost like one yet.

Griff
Peacore
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:15 pm  Reply with quote

Confused Confused

I'm not privy to the inside jokes but it's probably funny if you know what's going on.

On to the case problems! I measured all of my RGL cases today and found there are 3 lengths. I didn't count them but I have hundreds of cases I have been saving.

With the caliper set at 2.7" most of the cases are very close to that length, some are a little longer. However 68 of my cases measure about 2.66. That's enough shorter to cause an opening in the crimp that will be a problem with shot leaking out and the crimp tends to open itself.

I haven't tried the slightly longer hulls yet. The 2.7" hulls load just fine on my MEC 77.
I did two boxes tonight and they were all perfect except for one which was a short case, I cut that one open and discarded it.

I might not have bothered to measure the cases if not for the information on this post - it sure saved me a lot of frustration. I have had trouble loading the RGL cases in the past. I used a DR-16 wad and 15.4 grains of Internatinal Clays. That gives 1175 - 1200 fps per my info. The shells feed fine in my 1941 Model 12.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Ernie

deer hunter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:52 am  Reply with quote

Ernie -if you can get your hands on a few fiber wads , just pop a small piece off and stuff the hole - with a small phillips for imstance and shoot them up . they will be fine ..... Let's just say it may be the wrong thing to lock wifey in the cabin at 5:30 in the morn with a crazy beagle(expecting she'll sleep another couple hrs)and have her decide to get up and join the fray at the mainhouse . Only a photographer seeing the beautiful sunrise was able to let her escape . Redheads can get MAD !

Peacore
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:58 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy

Thanks for the tip.

I agree that is funny and something I would have enjoyed seeing.

My duck hunting Buddy tried to sneak out and leave his old Lab in the bedroom with his wife, thinking she'd likle to sleep a little longer than 3:00 AM. That didn't go well either, the next time we went hunting I got a real good laugh at the H--l he caught as that old Lab knew he was going hunting and she was being left at home.
Needless to say the wife didn't get any peaceful sleep.

Ernie