16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Who smokes a Pipe while hunting?
DougK
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

After seeing the two gentlemen on they home page, I am thinking of smoking a pipe while out...
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know of any pipe smokers period.Kinda glad-some of those tobaccos smell like burnt chocolate cake Evil or Very Mad
MGF
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:43 am  Reply with quote

Not while walking for upland birds, but I think it wouldn't be bad on break. You'd want to give yourself 15 or 20 minutes minimum to sit and fire one up and really enjoy it.

I don't smoke 'em anymore, but I've got a nice little collection. Some by Savinelli, Brebbia, a Dunhill, a couple Petersons, and some of the Nordic makers.

If I ever get more liesure time in my life, I wouldn't mind smokin' 'em again.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:20 am  Reply with quote

Not an everyday pipe smoker any more, but I usually have a pipe along when hunting or fishing. Seems to work best on a break when wing shooting, or when you're making that long walk back after stomping one of those mile-long Kansas CRP covers! And a pipe just seems right when you're standing mid-stream casting a line!

My favorites are my Peterson's (especially the straight stemmed shapes) and, always, McClelland's British Woods mixture.

Hoashooter is right about those "aromatic" tobaccos. As a friend of mine used to say when he smelled one: "Who lit fire to a candy bar?" Very Happy

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:36 pm  Reply with quote

I don't smoke a pipe but I do like nice cigars, especially when out hunting or shooting.
XVI

Tyler
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:15 am  Reply with quote

Just a little word of advice; if you shoot right-handed, keep the pipe in the left side of your mouth, otherwise it really hurts when you shoulder your gun quickly. Voice of experience here.
LT
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:40 am  Reply with quote

My dad and I smoke cigars while hunting (I have several pipes but just never thought about taking one along for an upland hunt) and enjoy a wee dram of single malt with a cigar at the end of the day...
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:58 am  Reply with quote

Ah, LT, a man after me own heart Very Happy !

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

Burnt chocolate cake might not smell so bad; how about Balkan Sobriani- stuff smell like a fire in a manure barn!!!!!!!
canam
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

Smoking is for suckers. If you must be impractical, try something like 16 ga shotgunning.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:42 am  Reply with quote

I gave up cigerettes years ago after a long drawn out battle to do it. Now, I'd rather poke pins in my eyes than start again in any form. Besides, with some of the stuff thats passed through a pipe, I wouldn't be able to find my own butt with both hands let alone find a game bird in the weeds or even worse, hit them flying. I'm already showing signs of senility as it is. I don't need the extra chemically induced assistance of some old fashioned whacky tabaccy or any thing else you could toss in the bowl. Wink Laughing

PS, I don't drink much either. the last time I got bashed on booze, I woke up under the sheets with the bimbo for hell. She said we were married. I didn't stick around long enough to either dispute the fact of varify it. Somewhere out there could very well be a Mrs. 16GG with a pair of twin harpies and blood in her eye. God forbid she should find me. She was bad enough twenty years ago. She probably looks like Godzilla's little sister now. Rolling Eyes Wink 16GG.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:12 am  Reply with quote

Hey everybody-let's help ol' 16GG out. We could each start one of those 'send this to 10 other people or bad things will happen' mass e-mails looking for his long lost 'love'. SOMEBODY has got to have a pic or we could just use one of those 'yard gnome' Travelocity statues holding a Perazzi. We could add some heart warming text about how his life has been incomplete since wandering (running) away from his 'soul mate' (just made myself puke Surprised) The 16g. Society is all over N. America, Australia, and New Zealand-gotta find her (it? Shocked) somewhere! Laughing
tjwalker
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

Who smokes a pipe while hunting? I think Michael McIntosh, and me. I prefer Peterson's pipes, and I don't think I would want to smoke anything that smelled like burnt chocolate cake. Try some different pipes and smoking mixtures. It is relaxing and pleasurable to me. I do put it out if we are working the dogs into a stiff wind to keep it from blowing back into my eyes. The dogs don't complain much, unlike some of your responders. Some people do like the smell of pipe tobacco. Some like to shoot 16 gauges. To each his own. Enjoy life, that's the ticket.[/quote]
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:49 am  Reply with quote

Revdoc, thank the lord this site doesn't reach the bottom of the ocean. That is probably where she retreated to, to spawn after our alleged "wedding nuptuals." You baptist folks may not have all the answers, but the you have it dead right about the dangers of liquer and loose women, especially really ugly ones! Laughing

PS: the letters won't help. I don't think she could focus her eyes well enough to read, especially with the third one smack in the center of her forhead... or was that a big zit! With all the booze I'd guzzled, I could not focus well enough to really tell at the time. Thanks for that; the reality of her countenance might have turned me to stone for all I know

The last thing she said as I made the door was "call me!" I did not have the heart (or the guts) to tell her I had no idea what to call her, so I just calmly walked away silently...until I rounded the first corner. I then proceeded to out sprint Jesse Owens until I hit the state line.
woodcock
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:08 am  Reply with quote

LT--I agree although I've come too appreciate an OLD tawny oporto in the gloaming with my stogie.
Revdoc--make gg do some Hail Mary's or something.