16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Shooting Sportsman article
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:17 am  Reply with quote

AMEN brother Fin!
SageRat
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:45 am  Reply with quote

It appears to me that 16 ga. shooters should be very darn thankful. We have a range of loads from some half dozen ammo makers that can provide almost any load we desire. So what are the complaints about?

Since Gualandi wads came into the US, you can concoct almost any load you want with a variety of excellent powders. Sure the cases may not be like the old AA winchesters, but they are good enough to make quality loads.

Let me tell you what the real threat is!! It is lighter weight 12 ga. guns that are slim and trim and ammo is more readily available.

I recently bought the new Benelli Ultra Lite at 6 lbs. on my certified scales. The 24" barrel has a sighting plane of about 32" (from the trigger to the end of the barrel). Yes it is a 12 ga. gun and will shoot 7/8(20 ga.), 1 oz(16 ga.), and of course whatever you can take in recoil, concerning shot weight and velocity. The dynamics are excellent, with no feeling as if you had a wand in your hand.

The new O/U guns that approach 6 lbs +, have excellent dynamics. It is the new guns that are your foe, not gun writers or anything else. Many of the manufacturers are listening and the trend of the light 12 ga. is here to stay. These light guns make it easy to acquire ammo to fit the need and many do not have the time or inclination to seek out differnt sellers.

We just need to be thankful we have at our disposal all the components needed to reload. We also have a larger choice in loaded ammunition, although it might require ordering it.

What more do you want?
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:28 am  Reply with quote

WAS THAT 16GG THAT JUST TOLD US 16ERS TO 'CALM DOWN'??? Shocked
What's he smoking in his pipe now and is it legal in Mass.?? Laughing
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

well...Okay!! Calm down might be a bit of stretch for some of us!! How about "Recede!" ad per M. Howard.... or "Stifle Dingbat!" ad per A. Bunker. or WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOO--OOP!! ad per C. Howard.
Scolari
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:25 am  Reply with quote

I did not read the article you are talking about but I will. I rarely get upset about articles like that because most of what they say is true. Yes you can buy 12 and 20 ga guns that weight less and yes it is true that 16 ga shells are sometimes hard to find. But I can still find all the shells that I want and if I want something a little special, I order them from www.grafs.com. They have a good selection of 16's.
What I do take offense to is calling the 16 a "dead" gauge. It isn't dead. Dead means that it doesn't exist, but it does. You can still buy a good aray of ammunition and there are several companies that still make 16 ga guns.They may not be the hottest selling guns, but they must sell or they wouldn't make them.
As far as cost goes, nothing could be more expensive to shoot as the 28ga. I saw some Remington RST 28 ga shells at a local discount store for $7.99.
Now thats expensive. Try to find a hunting load for the 28. You will probably have to order them too and will pay out the nose for them. So why don't writers bash the 28 ga instead of refering to it a a "sweet little 28"?
I think I'll ignore all that is said about the 16 and keep shooting mine because I like it. No I don't own a 28, only because I think it's a "real dead" gauge. No advantage to it what so ever. But if you have one and like it, keep shooting it.