16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Wall-Mart & 16ga Shells
Mark Larson
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

I have a great solution to the Wal Mart dilemma!

Don't shop at Wal Mart. They only help exacerbate the big-boxing of our economy and culture, and there are much better places to buy 16ga. ammo, such as your smaller privately owned sporting goods store. The guy there might even know what a 16ga. is! Very Happy
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:49 am  Reply with quote

Mark: I totally agree, truly, except for the major consideration that, in some locales, there ISN'T a convenient, knowledgeable outdoor sporting goods store. I sure don't count the Dick's and Meijer outlets, and sometimes Mom and Pop have 16's, but they are 1 1/4 oz. #2's that Grand dad used for fox hunting in the 1960's, and they didn't stock any more after he died.....what the sportsmen in my community need is a well-informed, fair (whatever that is) and honest businessman who would cater to the deer, turkey, and bird hunters along with the bowhunters. The closest one is 35 miles away, and I haven't seen a 16 ga. in his shop for about 8 years....

Mark Larson
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:34 am  Reply with quote

Understood. Well, you have a few options: 1)ask the guy 35 miles away if he will special order some for you, 2)reload, or 3)buy a quantity of shells on the internet, or some other store farther away to make your trip worthwhile. I do all three. I buy some low dram normal field loads from a few big sporting goods store nearby, I reload low pressure loads for my Lefever, and I special order Fiocchi's and other specialized hunting loads from Ballistic Products and other mail order places. There's lots of good 16ga. ammo out there, just not at Wal Mart. I understand the value of convenience, but why shop at any retailer if they don't give good customer service, when with just a little more effort, you can get exactly what you want, when you want it?

Good Luck!

Mark
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

Speaking of getting just what we want: I don't know if there are "Big R" stores near any of you, but there does happen to be one in Warsaw, IN....about 30 miles east of me. They are a "Tractor Supply" or "Farm & Fleet" type of rural supply/farm supply store. Visiting the store today, I found they carry the Winchester Super X-- 1 oz. Game Loads in #8 for $3.99/box. They also have the Remington 1 oz. Game loads for $3.79 with #7 1/2 shot. Also, I bought some 3 1/4 dram, 12 ga. low brass loads in #8 for the very reasonable price of $3.39/box.

I will be patronizing this store much more frequently in the future......

nossman
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:01 pm  Reply with quote

Wolfchief wrote:
Winchester Super X-- 1 oz. Game Loads in #8 for $3.99/box. Remington 1 oz. Game loads for $3.79 with #7 1/2 shot..

Those are damn good prices! Same shells here in CA., are considerably more.
canam
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:26 am  Reply with quote

In the last 3 or 4 years I haven't bought a case of 16 ga shells for less than $45. My recent lowest was $54.00 for Remington 1 oz. 7 1/2 . I thought I had a convenient (2miles away) solution to ammo needs. Then the retailer told me $54.00 was $6.00 lower than the next one will cost. He said he only made 50 cents a box when selling at $54.00.
I will keep looking and reloading.
canam
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

Today my walmart had Rem 16 ga. 1 oz game loads at $4.45 a box. At the same store I was told they would not be getting them again. As much as I like my local old fashioned hardware(Tru-Value) & ammo guy, if evil Walmart can sell something for $1.00 a box less than my guy says he can buy it then his business is fragile.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:43 am  Reply with quote

By an area Wal-Mart after shooting at Ben Avery. 12g. Federal Game Shok 1oz 8s are now $3.27/ box Shocked Last week they were the same $ as the 16 which of course remain at $4.97.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

Rev you need to ask the clerk if this is a pricing error. Last fall K Mart ran a special on Winchester Super-Xs. In there add they listed only 12 gauge and 20 gauge at the special price. I inquired about the 16 gauge ammo and they said sure it was all the same price.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:33 am  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel,

You lucked out and got a clerk who didn't know any better. I can gurantee the 16's weren't intended to be sold for the same price! 16's are always higher.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

Clay thingy or what ever.

Had some time on my hands this afternoon so I thought I would check out your theory on 16 gauge ammunition pricing. I came back with a good news, bad news, good news story.

Good news K Mart is still pricing their Winchester Super-X 16 gauge ammo the same as the 12s and 20s.

Bad new the price has jumped from $3.39 a box to $4.19 per box.

Good new the manager said he would honor a rain check on ammunition I ordered last fall at the old price.

Now need to find out when Dick's in Kansas City and/or Wichita are going to be running their 25% off ammuniton promotion on Remingtons so I can stock up on Sterlingworth, Lefever, Ithaca NID and Parker fodder.

To Hun I just can't bring myself to using 2 3/4 in. shells in the old short chambered L. C., I'm afraid I might break it. They just aren't as tough as the Fox guns you know. Wink
rayb
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:32 am  Reply with quote

Bought a case of Winchester 1oz #8 shot 16 ga at Wal-Mart in Seminole, Texas yesterday. Case plainly stamped "Made in Australia". Hurray for the Aussies. Paid right at $50 with sales tax included. i usually buy 'em when i find 'em. Not the best nor the worst price in this area.

rayb

b.randzin
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

In southern NY were i live the Walmarts and Dicks and Gander carry almost nothing, but i have a local sports shop that sell remington game loads in 6, 7 1/2 and 8. for 4.99.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

I know I've been all through the Wal-Mart scenario---lost my temper last time; just can't tolerate poor service...but must say that today I tolerated barely "civil" service....went to K-Mart in LaPorte, IN and saw they had 6 boxes of new 16 ga. Dove/Quail #8's, priced at $4.19/box. Asked if they would sell them at $3.50/box if I bought them all....they looked at me like I was from another planet and said "Corporate sets the prices and we absolutely cannot discount !!"....I stated, calmly enough for me, that their competiton DOES discount. They still refused to deal; so, gas prices and availability of factory #8's in 16 ga. being what they are, I caved in and paid the $4.19 and bought them all anyway. Hated to do it, but these shells are getting seriously hard to find around here.
I did buy 7 boxes of factory new HS AA's in .410 ga. for the Model 42 at my gun club over the weekend for $6/box, which I didn't think was too bad for AA's....

hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

Twice, all I ever shoot is 2 1/2 stuff. RST, kent...I get a smokin deal, well sorta(right TJC?) Even in the artillery piece, of a pheasent killin laser beamed merkel. Probably makes it mad that I'm nor running 1 1/2 oz loads thru it.
I don't shot nearly as much as you guys so ammo $$ doesn't get me real wound up. I'm way more pissed about running 6 to 8 trucks daily with a average cost of 50 per day. that is impacting the bottom line. the shells, well they are just shop supplies, now that I think of it the merkel was a new tool they needed in teh shop