16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  I'm getting bird hunting fever
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:03 am  Reply with quote

Do what we did; we put together a Bobwhite hunt at one of the area preserves and since the terrain is all easy hunting we invited several old hunters in their 80's to join in. We had a great four hour hunt topped off by a steak B-B-Q back at the clubhouse. One of the best days of the year for me as I got to see a lot of old nimrods that don't get many hunt opportunities anymore.FYI, it's 147 days till the dove opener and in the meantime you can run the dog and real good hunting books.PM me for good upland bird book suggestions. Parker
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Hunshatt,
I just noticed your post in reference to the pointing Lab. I saw the long running one on one of the other boards that shall remain nameless as most of us know which one it is, where, I believe, guys were ready to fight. On one of the bird dog forums, one of the regular chronic posters made a completely ignorant statement about a shot gun, where if the original poster had of done what the guy said, would have completely ruined a grand old gun. I could not stand it so I jumped in and proved the guy wrong by challenging his vague statements and rediculous home gunsmithing advice. Well, the guy wanted me to come out to where he lived so he could kick my a$$. He even sent an e-mail to my home AOL account. We just don't need that kind of behavior on any forum and so far we have not seen it.
Now about the pointing Lab............
XVI

hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

XVI-We have fun taking jabs at each other but the behavior you desrcibed is not justified---EVERYWHERE you go,driving,eating,etc there is gauranteed to be one jerk.I am glad we don't have one here Wink
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:38 am  Reply with quote

xvi,
That really wasn't a jab, about the pointing lab, charles. If you followed the lab thead on the other site, you would have seen a little to much name calling, and heated defence rather than just dropping it.

I have a flushing lab and am looking at getting a PL. My experance with other dogs are springers, spinonni's (not for me) and a day with TJC'd drath's . They are close to what I need. But personally I'm leaning towards the PL. Just need to find a few to watch. I like the black forest dogs. Any thoughts?
Tim
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:50 am  Reply with quote

xvi,
Thats a blatant attempt to get a invite to shoot behind charles, next season

tim
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:32 pm  Reply with quote

Tim,
I know that wasn't a jab. No offence taken. Like you, I am disgusted about the long running thread on that other board.
As for the pointintg Lab, I am not really familiar with any blood lines, but that is the way I would go if I were to get another pointing Lab. I would do lots of research. There are some good kennels advertised in Gun Dog and other magazines. I just happened to get a pointing Lab by chance. I did not intend on getting one. When I bought Charley, I just thought I was getting a Lab that would be a flushing dog. Anyway, the pointing gene surfaced in him and he has been a solid pointer since he was 8 weeks old.
I wrote an article about the pointing Lab and you can read it. It explains a lot more than what I can say on this post. Go to www.ckcusa.com and click on ARTICLES on the top blue bar. Scroll down to the article, "Pointing Labs, Myth or Fact?" (You will also then know my real name.)
BTW, I am no longer affiliated w/ CKC. I am president of the Suncoast Bird Dog Association, and now North American Dog Sports www.nadsr.com sanctions all of our events and registers our dogs. I just never went in for the big registries (AKC, UKC, etc.) or their events. They are just too intimidating. Our events and titles are just as good as theirs, just not as big. I guess I am just a rebel (hence 16 ga side by side guns)
Wish I could come up this Fall. Thanks for the invite, but I am making two trips to Michigan already. One to attend a NADSR bird dog hunt test and the other to go hunting. Maybe next year.
XVI