16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Browning Citori Recoil Pad
granitecityminnesota
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a good, cheap recoil pad that will fit the Browning Citori 16 gauge Grade 1 exactly without modifications?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

There isn't any. Pachmeyers makes one only for the 12 ga stocks which come already cut straight and at a normal or average pitch to the proper factory length for the existing "Browning Brick." The smaller Citori lightnings and hunting models all have a slightly curved, "universally" pitched plastic butt plate with matching curved cut on the stock. This curved cut has to be addressed first and recut straight across at a pitch and length to give you a proper LOP. Then the recoil pad must be shaped to fitthe recut stock properly. Its the only way to do it right. So you're out of luck here guy.

However, the good news is that if properly done, your gun will fit you much better. So it's not all that bad if you really like the gun and want to keep it. If its not right for you as of now, just have it done and don't worry about the used gun value. The gun's personal value will automatically increase greatly, because you will shoot better and more comfortably. That is usually what makes a gun a favorite in most cases. Then, you really won't want to sell it anyway. Good luck there. 16GG.
canam
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

I would love any pad to lengthen my Citori a little because I am tall and thin. If it can be done without changing the stock that would be better. I don't know what is out there. Suggestions and/or recommendations are welcome. So far the plan is to go to my local gunsmith and say "fix it".
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

Kinda makes a point--Browning while trying to make everything average still makes the LOP at least 3/4 " too short.A guy could put on a Graco adjustable to make up for seasonal clothes and go from there.
L Kenney
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:25 am  Reply with quote

Anybody have any experience with those Pachmayr pads that include a permanent base that's screwed to the butt and a variety of pads in different lengths that slip/lock on? Can't remember what they're called and I have a hunch that if they were effective I'd have seen a lot more of them. Introduced in the late 80s I think.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:55 am  Reply with quote

I believe those Pachmayr pads used to be stocked by Brownells but they are not listed in the 05'-06' catalog #58. Lots of 'slip-on' pad options-don't look very nice and some can make the gun butt heavy.
L Kenney
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

A heavier pad might be just the ticket for my nose heavy Lightning Feather. Who else makes a similar product that solves the t-shirt for doves/heavy jacket for ducks length of pull problem?
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

Here is a Cabela's link for a pre-fit decelerator pad. They have one listed for the Citori. Never used one and know nothing about them....but FYI.
Good luck.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0012755221101a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=QueryText=recoil+pads&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=recoil+pads&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jsp
DORR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

Galco makes a nice looking leather slip on recoil pad that would A)extend LOP
and B)keep your gun in its original unaltered (and thus more valuable) state.

Here's a link, I think you can get em at Cabela's too:

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterP3.asp?ProductID=1271&CatalogID=292