16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Finally got it.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:36 am  Reply with quote

XVIgauge, I would think twice before opening those chokes if the gun patterns consistantly and both barrels are well regulated. Any gunsmith can ream out a choke, Damned few can do it and not change the point of impact. It takes special tools and a clear knowledge of what you are doing to do it right.

There are probably only a handful of competant barrel smiths in the US who can do rechoke a double gun right. Mike Orlen is one of them here in Amherst, MA. However, I would not let even him fool with my AyA Matador due to the outdated way these guns were regulated originally. Some older American and many earlier Spanish and European guns can't be simply rechoked, even if the reaming is done perfectly in line with the bore. The barrels on these older guns were aligned by bending them with wedges, shooting them in by trial and error, and by slightly reshaping the walls of the choke surfaces at the muzzle. it was a delicate and labor intensive method.

However, the Savage double might be a candidate for an aligned ream job. It was probably pre-regulated at the time the barrels were joinedby using a fixture to align the bores to converge at a mathamatically determined point at 40 yards. Most doubles are regulated this way now. Mike can tell you. Hes in the book. Call him.

A for the angle and shape of your locking bolt or lug, changing it is a very bad idea. Do not let anyone do it. The engagement surfaces on these lock up parts are shaped to self adjust for wear. Changing the angle will definately damage the gun and shorten its service life. its the exactly wrong thing to do.

The gun probably just needs a damned good cleaning or a new lever spring at most. you might try contacting Savage Arms in Chickopee, MA. They might still offer service on these guns or can direct you to who does. Parts should be easy to get too. These guns are fairly common and were very well made for the price they sold for.

I'd reallly start looking for a new gunsmith for your double guns and O/U guns. After reading what he has told you, this guy does not seem to know much about double guns. Sadly, most don't. Many are all too willing to do the work and make a fee when they should just pass on the job do to their limited knowledge.

I would also sugest you consider using the 16 ga polywad inserts if you reload. I have two tight choked guns, an AyA Matty, and the Ithaca 37. Both shoot wide open patterns with the spreader ammo I reload with these easily used plastic insets. They are very inexpensive too. You can get them directly from Polywad in Georgia. They are on the web and very pleasant to deal with.

Using spreaders will preserve the original integrity of the gun and will allow you to also shoot the far birds too with regular ammo. It was a system our granddads used to excellent effect. It still works well today.

I'm hoping I answered you in time and you've not let anyone unqualified fool with the gun yet. I'm sorry I was late into the line. I've been a bit preoccupied lately. Anyway, good luck with this double. I hope you have many seasons and some fine hunting with it. If it fits you well and hits right where yur eyes are focused. That is worth more than the most expensive gun that does not. 16GG.
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

Hey 16gg,
I have been an English teacher for a lot of years and have read thousands of pages of student's written material. I have to say that you definitely are a good writer. However, please don't take this commentary the wrong way and please don't get offended. My comment is this: sometimes you tend to read a little (or a lot) more into a statement than what was originally made.
I think maybe at times you tend to assume things about other's posts that may or may not be the case.
I think in this case, you are preaching to the proverbial chior. I really didn't mean to paint a picture of my gunsmith as a ham fisted Red Green type of handyman. He is very experienced and top notch. He does lots of shotgun and barrel work for tournament skeet and trap shooters and we all know how picky and particular those guys can be.
I have used the Polywad spread R's many times. I have talked to Jay Menefee of Polywad many times and we have discueed various loads at depth. I also like the X inserts sold by Ballistic Products for creating spreader loads.
Like the great gun guru Michael McIntosh, I just don't like tightly choked guns and I almost always have the chokes opened up to about .003 constriction in the right barrel and about .008 in the left. (I hate choke tubes BTW).
As for the opening lever, my 'smith will make it right. Please don't accept my interpretation of what he said as gospel. He knows what he is talking about.
I also have been involved in shotguns and bird hunting for a lot more years that I have taught English (since the early 50's) so I do have some experience.
XVI

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:31 am  Reply with quote

Okie dokie. As long as he knows what he's doing. The alarm bells went off mostly over the comment on the locking bolt engagement surfaces. Changing their shape is not ever to be done. However, if they've been peened accidentally at the front of the bolt or if the lugs on the barrel where they engage have been dinged, cleaning them up lightly to remove the displaced and intruding metal is okay. The contours must remain as manufactured.

Its also possible the gun has been used very little and the engagements have not worn in yet. The Beretta 409 I bought a short while ago is one such case. The gun has storage wear, but obviously was not shot much. The lock up is stiff and the lever needs a bit of prodding to seat the locking bolt well. However, things have been easing up as I've continued to shoot it. If such is the case, your gun will work itself in. Just shoot it.

None of us are mind readers. I erred on the side of caution for good reason. I lived in Central Florida for well past a decade. Some of the worst gun smiths and refinishers in creation used to operate in and around the area. I've seen some real butcher jobs done by folks who should have known better. My own experience led me to speak out loud and clear. I'd rather do so than hold off and let somebody's good gun get ruined. I don't know your smith. However, I'll take your word he's a good one. No offense was intended and none is taken. The main thing is that you get to enjoy your new/old gun as much as I enjoy mine.