16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Finally got some shells through the new 16
MGF
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:55 pm  Reply with quote

Finally got some shells through the new F.A.I.R. Model 400 16 ga., and the news is generally good.

First, I ended up at Monday night shoot at a club where the guys were playing a game that I thought was really too much for me and a little 6lb., 26", 16 ga. gun I'd never shot before. It sort of involved some handicap trap, some doubles trap and a couple stations of 5-stand. Heck, there were presentations that had those clays been pheasants, I'd have let 'em pass as too far for my meager abilities. (Guess I've been shooting over setters for quite a while.)

Well, the 16 was all I had with me, so I went ahead and shot. I won't share my score. Embarassed
I'll shoot that game, again, though, with my SPII 12 ga. with 30" tubes and see how it goes. Smile

Wednesday, got the 16 out for a few rounds of skeet, shooting low-gun. Shot two 18s and a 21. Perfectly happy with that, considering I hadn't shot a round of skeet in about a year.

The gun functioned fine and obviously did its part. It is so light, though, that I did get out front of a few and checked, or was just plain trying to be too fine and "aimed" ... and, of course, shot behind. This gun is fast to the cheek/shoulder and to the target, but the follow-through is 100-percent shooter supplied.

She's looking like a keeper, though, and seems like a good buy for what I paid.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:26 am  Reply with quote

Congratulation
A buddy has the 600, and i've shot it a few times. Nice guns, good value. I'm sure you'll get many years of enjoyment
tim
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:17 pm  Reply with quote

Don't let the game players intimidate you ----they have been there,done that and are more familiar with the target presentation.Hone your skeet game then whoop up on 'em with the 16 Twisted Evil
MGF
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:05 am  Reply with quote

No fear here, HOA. Got another commitment, so can't shoot the games this Monday night, but I shall return! Will probably use the big gun on that game for a while though, as it struck me as a long-shooter's course. Was also the first time I'd ever done any shooting under the lights. Only one way to get better ... and I'm too stubborn to give up.

Re skeet ... will be going after it again with a new 16! The forearm was loose from the get-go on my FAIR Model 400 and I wasn't wild about the 26" barrels (I'd ordered 28"), so I talked to the Cabela's Gun Library manager, and she gave me a complete credit toward a Model 900. Very Happy I'm hoping it will be here by next weekend.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:08 am  Reply with quote

Now there's a upgrade. Enjoy it.
MGF
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:29 am  Reply with quote

To finish the story line:
The FAIR Model 900 16 ga. arrived this past week.
Definitely a good looking gun and feels right for me in terms of fit, weight and balance.
Got it out for a few rounds of low-gun skeet Sunday, and after a round to get warmed up with it, I did some respectable shootin' and got some awesome breaks. It does appear it shoots where it looks, and I think it's going to be a dandy pheasant gun.
I have to say Cabela's was very decent about everything.