16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  What Birds are in season year around?
DougK
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

I only know of Eurasian Dove and Crow. I dont think i would eat Crow. All though I have eaten crow in the past. Well not actually Crow but crow.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:14 am  Reply with quote

Barn pigeons. Find a feed lot or mill outside of town and the operations mgr. would probably thank you for thinning the flock. Once the 'air rats' catch on, makes for good shooting.
No doubt Woodcock has a recipe for 'Cajun Pidjn' (guess he never noticed what those Starlings and Pigeons were picking the corn and grain seeds out of Shocked)
IDcut
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:49 am  Reply with quote

Starlings! Found about everywhere.
H.H. Hipshot
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:36 am  Reply with quote

Clay birds.

Have to boil them a long time in saltwater. Razz

HHH

Scolari
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

I think it depends on what state you are in. In illinois the only birds that can be shot all year long are starlings, sparrows and comon pigeons. Anything else has a season or is considered a song bird and is not legal to shoot.
Sage-grouse Guy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

To clarify Mr. Scolari's posting...

Only one species of "sparrow" , the English Sparrow (a.k.a. House Sparrow) is legal to shoot year around in most states, because it was introduced from Europe and has spread widely and is now considered a pest in many places.

There are at least 25 other species of sparrow native to the U.S., some very rare, which are all classified as protected migratory songbirds. Short of "collecting" with a scientific permit in-hand, these natives are entirely protected and can never be shot except by a federal agent with cause.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

Sage-grouse Guy,Scolari is right---a sparrow is nothing but a flying poopin machine.We have a slogan in Southern Illinois----If it Flies It Dies---This covers everything from nuisance birds to ducks and geese Wink
Sage-grouse Guy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:36 am  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
Sage-grouse Guy,Scolari is right---a sparrow is nothing but a flying poopin machine.We have a slogan in Southern Illinois----If it Flies It Dies---This covers everything from nuisance birds to ducks and geese Wink

Hello Hoashooter:

Your statement is the type of bluster usually heard from men who aren't either very good hunters or shots.

I just hope your illegal actions (more likely they are just lies) aren't taken as an example by anyone.

I try to follow the regulations, and most other good hunters do too.
Scolari
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:12 am  Reply with quote

I only told you what is in season all the time in Illinois. I didn't say I shot the little bast...s! Don't worry, there are plenty of them around.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:26 am  Reply with quote

The other side of the coin about shooting pest birds is to be absolutely certain about when and where you shoot them and if they are feral or not. I once nearly got thrown in the calaboose for dropping a few sky rats late one August down in the Bridgewaters here in Ma.

The fellow who owned the corn field I was hunting in normally allowed hunters to take pheasant, snipe and rail on his land. He had told me it was fine with him as the pigeons in the area had taken over his barns. What I did not know was that the some of the pigions I was shooting were out of a domesticated homing flock that had gotten mixed up with the feral ones. The pigeon racer saw one or two of his birds drop at my shot and called the cops. The only thing that saved me was the fact that the guy did not have a permit to keep racing pigeons (and claimed he'd not known a permit was required). So technically, his birds were illegally kept and therefore, not pretected by law. Otherwise, I'd have been screwed.

Any mistake made with a gun can be costly, even innocent ones. Check it all out very carefully before you end up popping some one's pet birds and getting the local law involved. They will side with the other guy 95% of the time if the dispute involves the use of a gun.
woodcock
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:01 am  Reply with quote

Interestingly many of what have been called 'outlaw birds' now enjoy some protection---several species can only be locally pursued from September through January and these include crows (somebody discovered they migrate!), blackbirds, grackles and cowbirds---starlings are still unlisted (go IDcut!) and YES, pretty good on the table. Pigeons (pee-zhons revdoc--and yes, I certainly DO have recipes---squab are preferred but pee-zhones'll do in a pinch).
DougK---I have eaten Crow and I don't recommend it---I am a true omnivore but some things, well---------------
I know people who do eat the sparrows (they are about the size of Sora rails so-----) never cared for them either---too much work.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:12 am  Reply with quote

I knew a Cajun once that had a recipe for railroad ties served with rocks. Laughing
woodcock
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:54 am  Reply with quote

Yep, a relative of mine--called it 'Hot cross stones'---served with creosote gravy. Wink
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

I'll bet that dish sticks to your ribs...and anything else it touches. Laughing
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

Rock doves B-B-Q nicely; tell your guests that they are gamehens!!!! On second thought, stick to shooting White Flyers in the off-season Wink