16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  weekend shoot/tjc look at what you missed
hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:37 am  Reply with quote

The Weekend started with plans to shoot clays at Addiville Farm with Kevin, from another site and another friend.and turned into a chuckar shoot. My lab, Kevins 1 1/2 old GSP, and my buddies 7 year pointer of unknown breeding(rescue dog) . We did manage to shoot 21 of 22 birds. they flew very well. Thanks to the pointing dogs, I was finally able to put to good use my old austrian hammer gun(16 of course) and the merkel did it's job over beau ,my lab.
Anyhow the meat of the story and humor is as follows. I'd spoke to Kevin about shooting, some clays. He was up for it. Another buddy is running one of his Spiononi's in some pointing dog challenge the end of the month. I figured it would be a good time to give Argo a spin, and tune my shooting up, as I've been sucking(by my standards lately). Mike ended up bailing as he wasn't feeling well(girly boy) Kevin was still up , so I called another friend who has the 7 year old. I've never shot with either of these guys. kevin says you can't miss me , I'll be the tallest guy there, he wasn't kidding.
As we are getting started the guy running the office says that one of Brians dogs just had a litter, and these pointer are very famous(guess they are the elhew kennels) and there are a couple left, so Kevin, who trains his dog here and tom are all gungho about seeing these pups. Me, I'm like, I like puppies ok, lets look. So we go off to shoot our birds. Beau does his usual (for me ) acceptable job(kevin will have to let you know how he really did). Tom's dog did ok. But the star of the show was Holly. what a cracker jack dog. Fast, stylish, and a bird finding machine. I can see myself with something like her at some point. My past xperance with pointers wasn't really xciting enough that I would get rid of my flushers(xcept your dogs Tjc).
She has made me change my thoughts about that. Kevin, she's very sweet dog, you've done a great job with her.

So we finish, and head down to look at the puppy's. Tom is enamored with them. what to do says he?? how much he asks? Wow, that about twice what I had budgeted. The g-friends ok with it(getting the dog) but thats alot of $$$$$. Well I really want one, this one in fact, but I didn't bring my check book. Me being the caring freind that I am , chimes in" I did" er, um, er, says he. then he says I only have 1/2 at home. thats ok says I . I'll pull it out of my hold out gun fund, get it back when you have a chance. (the funeral Lc smith project is on hold till he gets it back)
So the puppy's is picked, made it home, his g-friend is ok with him, and all is well the ends well in whosville.

I really am a trouble maker huh??

Thuddddddddddd
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

Oh you know how to stir the pot for sure. LOL

Sorry I couldn't make it on the short notice, next time. Long haul for a one day thing. Like I said on the phone, would have to come up the night before. With that, I'd leave the dogs home I think. Too much truck time without a kennel for them at night. Unless the hotel/motel allows pooches.

Sounds like you had a ball.

I'm still trying to get my fingers to type up the For Sale posts on the handguns I'm thinking of getting rid of. Then it would be a new Merkel or 2. Very Happy .410 and maybe a ????
Of course I could always look at a nice 20 ga. Sterly Wirth. Very Happy

hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

Or you culd build your own Lc project funeral gun. I know a guy thats doing that, he's a good guy, and it's a 16. But if you must, breath deeply and whisper MERKEL MERKEL MERKEL
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

I'd like to be thinking RBL RBL RBL in 16 ga. but there won't be word on that for some time. So I might as well go with the Merkels. I'll have to suffer.
The .410 is getting more and more attention from me. Let's see, a couple of S&W N frames, a Colt Gold cup and I should be there. LOL

hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

I'm really good with you shooting a 410 no more of the 80 yard dead kills you make with that Merkel of yours. The rest of us might get a chance then, well that and you'll have to leave the pheasent machine dogs at home. Push up your own birds. No more holding a padded deck
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

Gotta bring at least 1 of the pooches.

Just found a Merkel 360 for $3500. Not sure if that is the best price but it has a pistol grip stock. Choked M/F. I would rather have F/F in the .410 but hey, I could live with it.
Lot of $$ for a gun that will only be used you know where. Won't be much good in the other places I hunt birds.

Stacked deck, I have no idea what you are talking about. My Merkel with Fiocchi GP loads does like to shoot them thar birds though.

hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:18 pm  Reply with quote

Oh I'm quite sure you know just what I'm talking about.
As far as the 410 not getting shot alot, 3 things to remember here. First (and I would have thought you would have already learned this) at your advancing age, it shouldn't be about the body count and more about the enjoyment of your surounding(leave the body count stuff to us much younger guys) Second, now that your almost ready for the dirt sleeping bag, due to your advanceing years, the few remaining years you have left will progbably be spent chasing preserve quail in Fl(no offence xvi) where you don't really need a PHEASENT KILLIN MACHINE Merkel 16(feel free to send it north. 3rdly You are getting kinda frail looking, I'm not sure you'll be able to pack that Merkel around much longer, or that the girls are going to wait for you.
Nuff said
Thuddddddddddddddddddd
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

WOW, kick me in the groin.

The Girls will ALWAYS wait for me. They love me. LOL

As far as any dirt sleeping bag and getting frail looking, I kinda remember being in the same swamp you were shooting birds. And more of them if I recall right?

BANNNNNNGGGGGGGG

I'll tote that 16 killing machine where ever I go to shoot birds. If that gets a bit heavy in the afternoon, I'll carry the Sterly Wirth around. It's a few ounces lighter.

THUDDDDDDDDDDDDD

hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

Geting a little touchy are we??
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

Nah, that doesn't bother me. Wink

Waiting on an email from a dealer on the price of a 360 Merkel. We'll see what he says. Why or why am I doing this. Question Question Question

hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

Why?? see my above post on increasing strain being put on your cardio vascular system
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:04 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Hunshatt-don't bring TJC to Montezuma without a copy of his echocardiogram AND the treadmill exercise test/cardiolite study AND a note from his Boy Scout leader!! You're making me nervous brother. Giving mouth-to-mouth to a hunting partner sorta ruins an otherwise enjoyable day afield (got a good story about THAT too-it's OK, he lived)
One of my regular hunting buddies hit some poor sage grouse in Wyoming in the head with one 'golden BB' at 60 yds and ever since thinks any bird flying within the same football field is fair game! Sounds like TJC got the same 'disease' (but no doubt reasonable when he's got his 12g full choke Sterly Laughing )
hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

Rev, if you ever get to meet Kathi, my sometimes hunting partner, you'll be ok with giving mouth to mouth.
I don't think Tj, missed a bird. And IF he did those little german pincers he's running didn't let it get far, or take much time doing it. Ya vol, back to the stalag with you , little pheasent. Colonel Tjc has a diner in mind for you.
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

You forgot the Thuddddddddd.

hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

Point taken.
And like all good things, this must to end. On my way home to let my part time hunting partner make me a good meal
Thuddddddddddddd

Tjc, Sat's looking good, and possible even fri. I still need to figure out if thesse guys can go a day without me here to babysit