16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Sterlingworth Society (Philly chapter) new member
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

Guys-I promise. It really wasn't what I planned. It just happened!!(sorta like Bro Larry and the KGB chick)
I was so pleased with the new Sterly that I felt I didn't really NEED (as opposed to want) my 16g M-12 pheasant whacker (and have another mission trip in June to finance) SO in complete innocence and with the best of intentions, took me-self to WilliamLarkinMoore to put the M-12 on consignment (with plans to let you fellas know about it) and get some 1oz 5s they carry (for $8/ box Shocked) to pattern in the new Sterly.
Walked in the shop and found (Brad6260 DON'T READ THIS) they had received an unbelievable New Ithaca 12g 7E with single trigger. Fondled but quickly put down. Still have the pristine 16g VH Parker-didn't even touch.
BUT they also had a 12g (Oh the shame Embarassed) 1913 Sterlingworth 30" brls still F/F they took in trade that had O case and alot of wear but was mechanically sound with the top lever at center. WLM deals in such high end stuff that they are usually happy to move the low end trades they take quickly if they can. AND, David Moore had JUST had a call from a regular client looking for a 16g M-12 with Mod choke and Simmons rib for his back-up and fun all purpose upland gun. With a heavy heart (and some conviction regarding my gun lust), I "reluctantly" agreed to EVEN TRADE the M-12 and the Sterly.
Lesson-timing is everything and alot of folks out there are looking for M-12 16g. shooters and willing to pay premium prices for them. Next stop to DL Precision to check, clean, pad, open the R brl to IC and I've got my rainy day-falling in the mud back-up pheasant gun for the 16 Laughing Laughing and (Hunshatt) another potential tomatoe stake or chew toy for the setter pup.
Forgive me guys-it really wasn't suppose to work out like this Rolling Eyes
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with a 12 ga Sterly Wirth. I've got mine that is choked IC/F. It does reach out and touch those birds with the Full barrel. Very Happy That's using low brass 4's. I don't dare use anything else or hunshatt will be making fun of my long distance shooting. Wink

I call my 12 ga. Sterly my meat gun. Cause not much gets away from her.

hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

The germans , when not shooting thier Merkels, in 16, for pheasents, and everthing else that flies , had just the use for those 12bore's. they called them ack ack guns, and when they weren't taking shots at our boys, they used them as tomato stakes, so the moral of this story, the more things change, the more they stay the same .
Tj, I didn't know that what you were calling your 12 that, i thought it was dixey,(or mabe it was rebba, still can't get them straight) for the same reason. lol
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

Nah, they're my meat dogs. The 12 ga Sterly Wirth is my meat gun. Very Happy

fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

Rev,

With those 30" barrels and the FF chokes, that SW sure sounds like a waterfowl gun to me! Betcha you could reach out and touch a mallard or even a Canada with that one. Don't be too hasty in trying to make it into an upland gun; as we say in my business: it is what it is. JMHO (which that and about six bucks will get you a cup of coffee - Starbucks style).

Fin
PS: I'm jealous, even if it is a 12 Very Happy !!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:52 am  Reply with quote

Revdoc,

Do I need to start going to church more often or what? That kind of thing just never happens to me . . . You must be getting some sort of special help!