16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Weatherby Orion O/U
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

I have an opportunity to purchase a very nice-looking 20 ga. "grade I" Weatherby Orion from a shooting acquaintance. It has a "plastic" finish, much like a Citori Lightning gr. I. It has a black recoil pad, and really, a pretty nice stock and forend for a Gr.I or whatever Weatherby calls it. It has 28" barrels and comes with full, Mod, IC, and 2 aftermarket skeet chokes. I don't think it's been shot a lot at all---seller says 250 shells, if that. It is a round-knob "lightning" style stock, and the words "Weatherby Orion" are scripted in gold on the right side of the barrel. I think it is what they call the "upland" style or new style. I'd say the condition is 98%++, and accessories come with it (I think).

What's this gun worth? I know little about Weatherby O/U's.......

hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

I believe you are talking about the Orion II Classic Field gun.These were made by SKB and use the Greener locking system.Last year of production was 1993.Value for 100% is around 1000 bucks.A club member recently purchased one for skeet and hunting.IMO that gun swings NICE Wink
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:27 am  Reply with quote

Hoa: I looked on the Weatherby website last night and they do call this one the "Upland". It has a 14 1/4" LOP and weighs probably 6.5 to 6.75 lbs. List new is $1,362. This one is not new but it's not far from it either. I wonder if an offer of $1,050 to $1,100 would be fair. It is in great condition.
Anybody have thoughts ? I know very little about the history/resaleability/durability of these guns....looks like an SKB though....

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:16 am  Reply with quote

Wolfchief. Skb guns are well made, and have fine handling characteristics too. However, the O/U models all rely on solid mainsprings. These springs can and do break and are harder to change out because they need to be fit.

I'm not trying to disourage you from getting one. If fact, I'll bet you will really enjoy it. I'm just giving you a heads up on what I see as the only weak spot I'm aware of in its design.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, Guy. I don't know if this fellow will sell for $1,000 but with a new-in-box price of $1364 I think that's all I want to offer for a used 20......I could buy a pretty nice Model 12 or Colt Woodsman for that kinf of money....

Grouser
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

A grand is a fair offer for the gun. My dad's SKB is about 30 years old without problem. I have owned two Orions, purchased the first in '83 when they were introduced, the second about 4 years ago. They're good guns, but a little long (LOP) for me, so I don't use them much.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

Grouser: I had to pass on this one; it was really clean but the guy wanted $1,200 firm for it and I just could not justify it. There are too many guns I want to get yet to fill my Winchester and Colt desires.....