16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Balanced Load
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:14 pm  Reply with quote

We can lead horses to water, but we can't make them drink. Same goes for horse's asses too. Very Happy
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:30 pm  Reply with quote

So why would that end of the horse want to drink? Looks like you can lead a horticulture.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:53 am  Reply with quote

I dunno about you, but some horse's asses can drive some of us to drink. Very Happy
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:55 am  Reply with quote

huntNnut wrote:
I really try to be good George, but I just couldn't help myself!! Embarassed

Perhaps we can help you out. Which way did you come in?
zoli 16ga.
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by zoli 16ga. on Sat May 21, 2011 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

On the verg of a potential cataclismic even , and you guys cannot even be nice , what in the world is wrong with you all .

Oh well I shouldn't expect otherwise .

Best Regards, CNH2
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

Considering that it's already past Noon on the 21st in the Western Pacific, does anyone know what the time brackets for this event are? I'd hate to miss shooting some trap just because it was scheduled after dark Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:14 pm  Reply with quote

That's enough Gentlemen.

Life's too short for disagreements that get personal. We all have our opinions and we all have &$*holes; let's not confuse the two. Agree to disagree and please keep our personalities out of the equation. Let's take the high road and say a prayer for those on the flooded low roads and our farmer friends who are still waiting to plant.

May this be the end of this thread.

Reno

paddler
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:17 pm  Reply with quote

It really was, at least in my mind, an interesting question. Not sure why people feel the need to insult one another. And nobody really addressed the issue of what is a balanced load for each of the species we hunt.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:13 am  Reply with quote

If the target was hit, the game placed in hand.

IT WAS A GOOD LOAD!!!!!

I prefer for all this to happen, without suffering any after effects such as headach, bruised shoulder, detached retina, extra loss of unnecessary funds, Ect. Ect.

I simply have found in the 12 bore. That twenty four grams will do all that I could ever dream for and twenty one grams has done all that I have ever expected of it.

Why should I ever expect , More from my wonderful 16 bore? No twenty one grams or less has served me as well as Sweet Little Ole Peach could ever want.

Long live the 16 Gauge, long live the 16GA SOCIETY , LONG LIVE THE FOLKS THAT VISIT THIS FOURM. YOU ARE ALL THE BEST OF THE BEST.

Regards, Nick
huntNnut
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:56 am  Reply with quote

Wish I could say I was sorry for starting this but...........just my nature I guess. GG and I hate each other and when he gets to writing ego driven essays about nothing but his half baked opinions......well I just can't and usually won't resist throwing a hand grenade into the crowd.

Paddler,

There are balanced loads and everyone has a different idea what balanced means.

BUT.......square loads, balanced loads, recoil, pressure, single trigger, double trigger, and the KING of stupidity in threads is the dreaded "Best" pheasant load.

If you mention any of the above there is a 95% chance for a bit of turmoil.

This applies to any forum you visit.

paddler
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:56 am  Reply with quote

The idea of a balanced load for a given quarry at a given range is interesting, but may even depend on the angle at which the bird is shot. I think the classic driven pheasant load in Britain has been 1 1/16oz of 6s, which are actually American 7s. But that's for incoming birds, with the head, neck and breast exposed. People here who have lots more experience with walk up hunting say the ideal pellet size for pheasant is 5s, and I have no reason to doubt them.

Choosing the very best pellet size for a given situation is always a compromise between high pattern density (pellet count), as demanded by dove, quail, etc, and higher pellet energy (actually momentum, which gives a better approximation of penetration) required for larger birds and longer ranges. That's what I was asking about.

The idea of a square load is written about often, but is difficult to come by. It doesn't exist in the sub gauges for the most part, and in 12 gauge is perhaps not seen until you drop down to 7/8oz. The influence of the shot cup can only make this worse.

The entire concept of shotgun patterns depends on so many interrelated factors, and that makes it fun. I understand that some sporting clays shooters change choke tubes for individual shots, and by as little as .005" constriction. Yet, in the choke trials of the late 1800's, choke was a disadvantage compared to cylinder bore out to a 30 yard rise. So, how far have we come with long forcing cones, extended choke tubes, overbored barrels, plastic wads, modern powders, etc?

Hate is a strong word, I find many folks on various boards amusing. It is funny how many people completely ignore the most obvious truths, at least as I see them.Laughing Have you visited the 24 hour campfire?
huntNnut
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:02 am  Reply with quote

No, I haven't paddler. Sounds like a place for me to stay away from. Not much for BS artists.

Hate is a strong word, but the honest truth in this situation.

Trust me, after you have been involved or read about 20 of these balanced load/square load debates, you won't find them very amusing.

The latest trend in Sporting Clays, is one maybe 2 choke constrictions at most and 1 oz. of #7.5's.

There was a poll or 2 over on Shotgun World about favorite loads and chokes. It was interesting. There were some Master Class shooter's that responded to the poll's also.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="huntNnut"]Wish I could say I was sorry for starting this but...........just my nature I guess. GG and I hate each other..."

Folks generally hate only those things they fear. I don't hate anyone here. There are a couple I simply feel revulsion and maybe some pity for, but not hate.

As far as the world ending today? What human can speak for a deity or actually predict the future with such finality and pinpoint accuracy. Only those poor misguided fools with overblown feelings of self importance and unfounded beliefs based on misinterpretations of archaic, misperceived events, statements made by others and repeated through hearsay, or just plain old superstitious ignorance would even try.

Perhaps the world will end some day, but I'm fairly certain it will not be by the will of some supernatural being which does not exist. It will probably come from a huge rock from space at a time when human beings as we know them are long extinct. It could also happen in the next moment. We do not know.

Why worry about it. Take care of this moment and your friends and loved ones. Leave fate to itself. Simple.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

16GG- didn't you get the message from 16Ga?