16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 ga. Beretta silver Hawk???
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

As some of you might have already picked up on, I just became the owner of a 16 Ga. Beretta "Silver Hawk" SxS. I've been learning from perusing the different sites that "Silver Hawk" is a Beretta generic term for a number of different models, some with very different features and lockups. So, being the "SxS challanged" guy I am Rolling Eyes , I need help in identifying just what it is I does got.

My gun is a silvered or French grayed? box lock with a triple lock system including the cross bolt through the block and short barrell extention. It has 26 inch barrels with 17mm bores choked to 67mm and 63mm. the chamber length is not designated but appears to be 2-3/4 or 70mm. It has a single, non-selective trigger that fires the IC (right) barrel first. it also has lifters instead of ejecters. The full type forend has a simple short one piece lever type release which you simply pull down from the front instead of the push pin type. the stock has a pistol grip and a scalloped bone or horn cap, (could be plastic too.?) There is a modest amount of engraving, with the words silver hawk on the botton of the block and an engraved hawk in flight with long thin wings (looks more like an Italian rendition of a common boston sea gull Wink) all the actiion screw slots are timed to the horizontal position, and all the screws are engraved.

I would like any info you might have. Somebody told me its a 409 model, but there are several of those too. A cigar to the first guy with the correct answer. Thanks again to all. 16GG
hunshatt
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

16gg
You have the only surviving example of the Citori prototype, before the belguins got ahold of it. It's what the citori was supposed to be
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

That one made me laugh out loud Hunshatt!!
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

16GG,
The Silver Hawk was imported by Galef&Son, INC. New York, NY. There adds claimed the 16g 26 IN. barrel to be IC/MOD weight at 6lb. 8 oz. The satin chrome is plating over Chromium Molybdenum alloy steel machine Forging. Hand engraved. The price was $179.75 back then. The magnum 10g, 20g, and 12g chambered for 3 1/2, 3, and 3 respectively. The rest were 2 3/4 in. chambers. They were discontinued by 1967. The screw heads were found on the 409 and the early Silver Hawk. Some times on the wood of the forend you will find 409 imprinted. The later Silver Hawk had pins and was marketed as having less moving parts. They are well worth the money(IMHO) and they seem to last forever.
Best,
Ron
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:53 pm  Reply with quote

Ron's given you most of the important details. Your Silver Hawk is not one of the later ones, because those guns dropped the Greener crossbolt. I believe Abu-Garcia, of fishing gear fame, also imported Silver Hawks at one time, but I'm not sure whether they came before or after Galef.

You can also date your gun by a Roman numeral you'll find on the barrel flats. There's some discrepancy about whether the date code begins with I in 1944 or 45, but I've always assumed 45 to be the right year. So XI would be 55, XXI 65, etc.

They're good, solid guns, and their value has gone up quite a bit lately.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

I checked an old Garcia Sporting Arms and found the BL series of O/U and the GR series of SxS as well as there single shot Berettas. The ones they have listed all started MFG. 1968 to the early 70's and were discontinued by the mid 1970's. The first Silver Hawks were late 50's to 1967 when they were discontinued. I have not seen the Garcia Sporting Arms Vol. 1 so right now by dates it looks like Calef most likely came first with the Silver Hawk and may have been discontinued(1967) before Garcia began the Beretta importing. The earliest I can find on Garcia is 1968 and forward to the mid 1970's. John R. Tassini's DGJ article places the 1945 at I. It sound right as I have always added the Roman Numeral to 1944 and it worked great. Larry when are you going to write an article on the SO series? That area is lacking in good reference material. Very Happy
Best,
Ron
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:56 am  Reply with quote

Hunshatt, you are truely nuts!!---likeable---but nuts! Laughing Laughing However, now you've got me wondering if Citori is a mispronunciation of Citolli. Does anyone know if a Seniore Citolli ever worked for Beretta? Laughing

Ron, Larry, thanks so much. The Roman numerals are XXVII so it must be a 1971-72 era gun. This one has every indication that it has been relatively unused--abandoned to some closet or gun safe for decades until I got my grubby little paws on it. I intend, and already have started to shoot the bejeepers out of it.

The gun fits me like my own skin and shoots where I look right on the money--both barrels too. Its uncanny, but its like the gun was just waiting to jump into my hands. Its definately found a home now. This one's a keeper. they don't come this good too often. Thanks again guys. As always, you are the bestest. 16GG.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:44 am  Reply with quote

Citolli?? I'm not sure, but it sounds a lot like citronella
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:58 am  Reply with quote

No, that is probably the name of his unmarried sister--the one everyone said was a bit buggy 'tween the ears.

Citronella Citolli
Was a bit rolly polly,
But when she got rollin'
Good lord, "Holy Moly!!!

By, The Unknown Poet
hunshatt
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

that made me laugh
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

By gum, you've just helped me name my gun...the "Holy Moly Citolli" --"Moly" for short. Waddaya think? Or maybe "Citronella" or maybe just "Nella." Yup, by crackies, that's the one--"Nella" it is. Now we got to work on naming your Merkel. Any ideas rambling around in your slightly demented skull? My slightly demented skull is about tapped out right now. Laughing
hunshatt
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

i'm still tapped from dealing with thee rbl stuff, on teh other thread on this page
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:32 am  Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw that. It happens. Not to worry. Its your money, your business, and your choice. You gave them all the "heads up!" That was the decent thing to do. Some folks will appreciate it, others will scoff, fuss or fume, most will shrug and say "so what". But ya done yer duty by gum. So, "no worries mate." Wink that's usually how it goes on this wonderful, but sometimes goofy little ship. Laughing
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:33 am  Reply with quote

Hey huns,
I appreciate ya there buddy. Except for the fact you forced me into buying another Merkel this week and with all this about the RBL, most likely another Merkel before next season. Thanks buddy. Wink

I may fight the temptation for the next one and look for a nice 20 ga Sterly Wirth. Very Happy

BANGGGGGGGG Exclamation

hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

Come to the dark side, young luke birdslayer. Give into your needs(a 1622) or atleast get me one.......
thudddddddddddd