16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Keeping busy til fall and I oughta reload
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

I've shot the Fiocchi Golden Pheasants (5s) and the B&P (7s) and both do a nice job, but I have found that a good honest 1 1/8 oz load of 6s does a great job day in day out. I bought a whole bunch of the 1 1/8 oz (6) Federal GameShok loads on sale and they put wild roosters in the bag as well as anything I've shot out of my 16 gauge guns. Keep it simple. IMHO if you feel the need for more performance step up to a 1 1/4 oz load of 5s in a 12 gauge.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Couldn't stand it any longer so ran out to Ben Avery this afternoon-tough to pattern though when the wind's blowing at 25 mph.
Patterned at 25 yds (bird shooting distance)
The Federal Classic 1 and 1/8 4s out of the IM brl-dense 18" patterns with 95% of the 152 4s but that's 144 pellets.
The Winchester Super-X 1 and 1/8 6s out of the LM brl-dense 22" patterns
with 85% of the 253 6s but that's 214 pellets. BUT clearly too much recoil for me in my R brl. Looks like this box will be one of the 'door prizes' in Montezuma.
The 1 and 1/8 Federals could definitely be a late season windy day long shot L brl load.
Still waiting for the Kent Tungsten Matrix 5s, Kent Ultimate Upland 6s, and the B&P F2 Classic 5s.
Will pattern the Winchester Game and Federal Game Shok 6s next.
For some reason the pup didn't seem to want to hold down the bottom of the pattern sheet while I was shooting in the wind-that's the problem with those setters, just alittle too smart. Should have borrowed somebody's lab Laughing
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

A good lab would have voluteered to hold down the paper and a great lab would have counted the hits.
Wink Ron
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:35 am  Reply with quote

Which hits?, the ones on the paper or the ones in his butt? Laughing That would not take a good dog but a very very dumb dog. Wink I've heard rumors about Rev's shooting. Its a good thing he's a minister. It's a bloody miracle he hit the patterning sheet. Laughing
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:50 am  Reply with quote

Great news. It seems my Sterly is as much a cheap low-life as I am! It REALLY liked the less than $5/ box at Wal-Mart Federal Game Shok 1 oz. 6s. Through the left IM brl at 25 yds: very evenly distributed 18" pattern with 220 of 225 pellets Very Happy
Looks like I've got my preserve chukar load and can shoot lots of them Very Happy Very Happy AND the box says 'Made in USA'-pretty cool Cool
More reports to follow.
IFL16's
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:55 pm  Reply with quote

B&P 7's in the right barrel and 1 1/8 oz. Federal Game-Shok 6's in the left.

Larry
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:00 am  Reply with quote

Larry and I have had some PMs and he expressed concern about loss of velocity with the 1oz Federal Game Shoks in cold weather-anybody else with similar experiences or thoughts re: loads in very cold weather??
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:13 am  Reply with quote

Well there must be another pheasant slaying 16er among the 3.5 Mil folks in the Phoenix Valley. Went back to Sportsman's Warehouse to grab the ONE OTHER box of Federal Game Shok 1 and 1/8 4s and it's GONE Confused Pete? SquareLoad-you visiting from Flag? They have a case of 1 and 1/8 6s and a case each of Super-X 1 and 1/4 6s and 71/2s.
The B&P F2 Classic 5s are 'still coming from Italy' Question and the Kents haven't arrived.
Square Load
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:35 pm  Reply with quote

Drew,

I'm innocent. Was in Wis. the last 8 days.

Dennis
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:47 am  Reply with quote

Spoke with Firearm Service Center 866-491-5335 this am. The Kent 'Impact' Tungsten Matrix will not arrive until July. Cancelled my order as I am unlikely to hunt non-toxic required land in the fall. The Traditional Upland loads came in last week and pattern (and recoil) testing to follow.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:26 am  Reply with quote

Frustrating update: The Kent Traditional Upland load I ordered 4-11 and which Firearm Service Center told me 4-24 had come in, has still not arrived at my door. No word from B&P about the slow barge from Italy with my F2 Classic 5s. Confused
Interesting though, the Sportsman's Warehouse in Phoenix does NOT have the new 7/8 Federal 16g. loads BUT another case of the Federal Classic Hi-Brass 1 1/8 4s has appeared. Very Happy
AND the Cabelas is on schedule to open here in Glendale by the new Cardinals stadium in Aug (delightful time of year in the desert Rolling Eyes)
May not need ANY of this stuff by fall if I've murdered that setter pup with whom I am currently in a battle royale of the wills Mad
hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:34 am  Reply with quote

Best not hurt little old kat/dog, he's sure to be a good quail killer(even if his old man ain't)
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:47 am  Reply with quote

Now Drew, calm down! You know the best way to get a Setter to do what you want, is with Love and Affection. Laughing
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:01 pm  Reply with quote

As he's sitting there just out of reach with a look on his face like "Who do you think is actually in charge here and please explain why I should choose to comply with that last suggestion?!" (sounds like my wife Very Happy)
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:18 pm  Reply with quote

Don't you just love it, when they give you that sheepish look out of the corner of there eye. Like they're saying, I really can't hear you. Laughing