16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 ga. Valier Sidelock for sale- gorgeous!
Sage-grouse Guy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

Hang onto your wallets, Boys!

Anybody seen the first of the new Valier sidelock in 16 for sale on gunbroker.com?

See http://forthehunt.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=46465392

Now, if I could only get a set of 20 ga. barrels too.....
budrichard
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:44 am  Reply with quote

Doesn't seem to be much interest for a Turkish shotgun! It does look good but beauty is only skin deep. Why auction a new gun unless it won't sell? Certainly not to me when I can order one. The weight is not listed which i expect is heavy for a 16. I certainly will have no trouble holding on to my wallet.-Dick
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:37 am  Reply with quote

Put a 20ga Grade II on a postal scale the other day. It weighed 6-5 with 28" barrels. Very nice gun, from what I could see, and it was about $1,000 less than the gun above--marked down because the dealer hadn't been able to move it.

Price is definitely the issue where the high $ Turks are concerned. They look to be as good as the Spanish sidelocks, perhaps even better wood and finish $ for $, but they don't have a track record yet.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:25 am  Reply with quote

I'd tend to look more closely at a CZ Turkish gun. At least the price is much more in line with the product being offered. I have not found Kimber to be all they claim to be in the quality and dependability department over the last few years.

I'd also advise seeing and holding the individual gun I intend to buy. Ordering a gun sight unseen and committing to the purchase always involves some risk. However, I think the risk here is greater than elsewhere. These Turkish made guns are fairly new on the market with short track records. I've already peered down the bores of a few of the newest run of these guns and was not thrilled with what I saw. They don't appear to be as carefully made as the ones from last year.
steinauge
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

I have thus far had pretty good results with both my CZ shotguns.One is a "bobwhite" in 20ga and one is a "ringneck" in 410.I just passed 3000 rounds today with the 20ga with zero problems,about half that for the 410.I too remain to be convinced about the higher priced spread.For that kind of money I can buy a nice english boxlock from Thad Scott!

Brad6260
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:36 am  Reply with quote

Can't see a scenario where a mid 4k Turkish gun or (I'll go ahead and upset the Spanish crowd) Spanish gun in that range would find it's way up my priority chart versus the tried and true vintage American or fine English guns that can be bought for $4500.00 and will also increase in value as the years go by.

Brad
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

Just saw one in 16. Nicer, I'd say, than the 20 I mentioned above. Did not weigh it, but it didn't feel heavy. This one had absolutely stunning wood, but with a shiny finish rather than the oil on the 20 I saw. Case colors also looked more traditional on this one.

Remains to be seen whether there's a market for $5,000 Turkish sidelocks.