16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Concerning Weights & Measures.....
Mark Larson
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

Excellent thread. I admit that the thought of a 6lb. 16 is captivating for the uplands, but I sure wouldn't want to shoot it on the skeet field. I also agree with the comment about fit being more important than weight. My recently acquired Lefever H grade 16 on a 20 frame weighs about 6.7lbs on my cheap hand-held scale, and with its long 30" barrels it gives the appearance of being slower than a shorter 26" barreled gun. Pleasantly however, I'm finding the gun to be the most silky smooth, sweet swinging gun I've ever owned (the "ball bearing" comment is spot on). If it's slower than a 26 or 28" gun, it is by a very negligible amount, and it fits so well, it seems like an extension of my arms. So far I'm shooting very well with it and pasting field trial quail in the center of the pattern. I think that's what we're all looking for, and I don't think a few ounces should deter us if it feels good between the hands.

I can't wait to try those long barrels on crossing chukars and huns at 40 yards this Fall...
MGF
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:17 am  Reply with quote

IMO, it is indeed more about the fit and balance.
And I understand where Mark L's coming from. A little more barrel, in my experience, does smooth out the swing. Given the choice in an upland gun, I almost always prefer 28" tubes.
My clays gun with 30" barrels comes in around 9 pounds and feels like a behemoth compared to my field guns. But it does swing smooth like buttah!
Someday, as an experiment, I'm going to grab some 1 oz AAs in 7.5 and 8 and take it out on a dove field.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

I like to use the Model 12, 16 ga. Citori and the Merkel on clays because I hunt a lot and like to be very familiar with the field guns I use. It makes for a better hunting season; less screw-ups and more solid hits when you have worked with your gun, know how the safety works and are comfortable with the fit and balance.. It seems practical to me to let the field guns do it all; but I don't shoot registered competition in anything either. In that game, you need all the assistance you can get, and some of my Model 12's are Mod choke, not the best for skeet.