16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Parker GH 16-unsure of its fate
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:19 pm  Reply with quote

My Parker GH 16 with damascus barrels came in today. I really like it...with one fly in the ointment. I built my own wall thickness gauge and it revealed good numbers except right along the bottom joining rib. Thickness is more than adequate elsewhere. I sent an e-mail to Drew Hause with a full description of the gun, photos, and my list of measurements.

The barrels have been trimmed to 27 7/8" but I don't mind that, I have no collector interest; it's a gun to use in my eyes. Listed as I/C & Mod. Measures .000" and .012" choke. Bores measure .663 and .664 and are fairly shiny with a "touch of frost" (to be expected). Honed? With those bore sizes, I'm leaning toward not honed, but likely polished at some time.

I have read accounts of guns in good condition with similar measurements being used without issue, but am preceding with caution. Upon recommendations I will either test it remotely or return it to Griffin and Howe. Be shame to send it back, but if need be, I will. Ironically there was set of 0 frame fluid steel barrels for sale at the same time...and they are now gone.

The gun shows very little use and top lever is far right. Could it be that this gun had tubes so eccentric from the day it left Meriden?
[[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/59460_1000x667/] [/URL]]
[/[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/59461_1000x667/] [/URL]]
[[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/59462_623x768/] [/URL]][/img]

Chicago
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

You didn’t define thin, but I like my barrels to be at least 25 thousands at the thinnest point. I have friends that are comfortable with 20 thousands and they still have all their fingers. One gunsmith I know feels that anything over 20 thousands is safe if there is no sign of rust or pitting, but he felt they are more likely to get dinged. My own gunsmith likes them to be at least 25 thousands.

My feeling is there is always another gun so why take a chance if you feel the barrels are too thin.

Good Hunting,
Mike
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:29 pm  Reply with quote

9" from the muzzle the left barrel measures 19 thousandths along the bottom rib. Things measure good "where my fingers are" at 9-12" from the breech.

Purple16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:03 am  Reply with quote

I'd be packing it for return. Plenty of safer guns available.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
PatrickB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:25 am  Reply with quote

Way too thin for me.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:23 am  Reply with quote

We have communicated.

0 frame 16g Parkers are a delight.
The barrels have been honed.
Eccentricity is common.
Wyo didn't share that the barrels are Parker D4 4 Iron "Turkish", usually found on DH and rare on GH which usually have D3 3 Iron "Oxford"
Austin Hogan stated that factory original 20 and 16 gauge small frame guns with Damascus barrels may have a wall thickness of .090” at the end of the chamber, and .020” in the distal third of the barrel. Other than an increase risk of a dent, I have no concern about .019" at 9", where the pressure is low when using appropriate loads.
The R barrel 12" WT is borderline and would limit load choices.

Swampy16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:57 am  Reply with quote

I had a Lefever that was measuring 17 thousandths in the middle of the barrels at the thinnest point. I fired many 6300 psi loads I found in the Lyman’s 5th edition. This is my regular load for vintage clays. I never had an issue. Steve Cobb looked at it and said shoot it ! American made Damascus was very high quality for the most part. Just be sure to use low pressure like I load or RST’s. You could always contact Morris at RST and discuss it with him and get his thoughts. If this was say a Belgian gun I’d likely be a bit more cautious.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:04 am  Reply with quote

I'd suggest asking your questions on the Parker collectors site. If it can be known about Parkers someone there knows it.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
3birddogs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:43 am  Reply with quote

Nice looking gun Garth. I ,too, have a GH 16 O frame Damascus that I like to shoot. Mine was trimmed to 27" from it's original 28. Yours has nicer wood and appears the engraving is a little sharper, yours probably from the 1890's.
You've got a lot of varied opinions here, so I'll add mine. I think its a keeper. I would put a lot of weight into Drew Hause opinion on this. I shoot low pressure, mid velocity reloads, 2 1/2", thru mine using 7/8 oz loads on pheasant.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:58 am  Reply with quote

Drew, I really appreciate your prompt response.

I have put this out over on Parker forums as well and the general consensus so far is low pressure and shoot it. I am leaning toward keeping it and someday fitting up a second barrel set. I could have bought set last week...and now they are gone!

1901 manufacture date.

Last edited by WyoChukar on Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:06 am  Reply with quote

Just sayin’, hunting buddy’s brother on a quail outing had a Damascus unwind on him and slit his neck open. He survived.

Don’t think a Parker would have made it feel better.

V/R
B.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:14 am  Reply with quote

Just sayin', this was a Perazzi MX8

Anecdotal reports of blown up barrels are meaningless without a ballistic study of the shells used and a metallurgical failure analysis

for more damascus mythology please see
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LFnSG34k3mBhLEjEgU267wAlIa215MNVQZhIiY62Hx4/edit

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:21 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

There are much better guns on the market, send it back and invest in a different gun.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
old colonel
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:31 am  Reply with quote

While the odds are with you shooting it, l would pass.

My reason is the only gun I had with thin barrels, although a safer .023 (if I recall right) left me nervous every time I took it out. Despite loading low pressure I always had the wall thickness in the back of my mind and it bothered me. The fact it was a shootable 20ga LC 5E, was not enough and I sold it on.

If you can shoot it without it bothering you, then keep it.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Anecdotal reports of blown up barrels are meaningless without a ballistic study of the shells used and a metallurgical failure analysis

What I neglected to state in the aforementioned report was the barrel unwound from the muzzle which suggests undetected corrosion allowed the strands to delaminate rather than an overpressure event, since pressures are lowest at the muzzle, absent any muzzle obstruction.

And to a lesser emphasis, having descended from a large extended clan of Dakota homesteading farmers and earnest pheasant hunters, according to family lore Damascus barrel bursts were considered routine, and those that carried Damascus guns were advised to “avoid high brass” ammo, as if that were some kind of remedy.

V/R
B.