16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ithaca M37 16 gauge shotguns
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

If a guy didn't like the bulk of the barrel on the choke tubed 16s, the answer, of course, was the aluminum receiver Ultrafeatherlight.

I purchased one right when Zander's was getting out of the Ithaca guns. It resides in the not for sale corner of the gun safe. Haven't found a load that patterns all that great with the full choke tube, but the modified and IC are just fine for killing birds, thank you very much.

24 inch barrel? Thats strictly for cowboy action shooting, and little old ladys-deaf ones.
Best,
Ted
budrichard
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:58 am  Reply with quote

Ted, what is the gauge, I didn't think that there was an 'Utra' in 16 gauge?-Dick
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:01 pm  Reply with quote

Dick,
Why 16, of course. Yes, there were 16 ultras, with choke tubes...Handles as nice as it sounds. Brian Meckler has a similar gun, don't remember if it was an aluminum receiver or not. I own two of the former company's guns, and a Remington 17, just for good measure.
Best,
Ted
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:33 am  Reply with quote

I just had my 1969 model 37 out for skeet again yesterday (thanks again Pop for the date of manufacture). i found out the model 37, originally the Remington 17 made only in 20 ga., was designed by John Browning in collaberation with J. Pederson. That must have been quite a pair to have working together--two of the finest gun designers in history.

I also learned another facinating thing about these well designed guns. If you point the gun at the ground with the pump handle up against the receiver, the gun will close itself just from gravity.

God are they slick. Mine is as quick as a cat on doubles and multiple birds. I doubt there's a faster handling pump in 16 ga. on the planet. I've handled my share of Model 12 pumps, and, even the model 31 Remington. the 37 is faster and slicker IMO. I just love this little gun. Snick Snack Boom. Wink
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:42 am  Reply with quote

Ted S wrote: "If a guy didn't like the bulk of the barrel on the choke tubed 16s, the answer, of course, was the aluminum receiver Ultrafeatherlight."

Ted, I don't remember ever handling an ultrafeatherlight light alloy framed 37. So I know nothing about them. I'd like to know how Ithaca got around the problem of the steel bolt locking up in the roof of an allloy receiver. Do they use a steel insert, or does the bolt lock into the barrel behind the chamber like the Winchester 1200 and Mossberg 500? Thanks, 16GG.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:20 am  Reply with quote

Near as I can tell, the steel bolt just locks up in to the machined aluminum roof of the receiver-there is no insert.

Doesn't seem to be an issue on the guns.

The serial number on these guns spells out exactly what they are, by the way-mine is ULT-M371604XX.

A very enjoyable piece to carry and hunt with, but, a clays gun for a whole day of shooting, it is not. I use the fatso 12 gauge for that.
Best,
Ted
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:38 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Ted. I suspect a steady diet of high pressure loads or the constant pounding a gun takes on a target range might cause a problem. However, as in all the new lightweight alloy O/U guns, using the gun for upland hunting and occasional, limited range use should not. Its simple common sense.

Even the 12 ga. 37 is a slim, light to carry gun when compared to everyone else's 12 ga pump. I'd stick with 7/8 oz skeet and trap loads with it--not so much for the gun's sake but my shoulder's. Besides, 7/8 oz. is the equivilent of the 24 gram load used in all international target games now. They break targets as far out as any of the heavier loads. In fact, average scores have gone up since they were made manditory. That is proof enough for me.

Anyway, I'm just pleased as punch with my 1969 model 37. In fact, I just bought another with a 26" barrel and tubes. The first one was a bit lonesome among all the hinge guns. Now it has a mate. Snick-snack-bang, gotta love 'em Laughing
3DocPop
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

Ted S wrote

The serial number on these guns spells out exactly what they are, by the way-mine is ULT-M371604XX.

Ted - Your gun, according to the Walt Snyder book on the M37, was made in 1977, although, I believe you are missing an x in your serial # - 1,604,xxx (it is just way eaiser for me to put the commas in Smile )

BTW, not sure if this is going to work the way I see on other threads. How does one copy part of previous thread, and have highlighted in box?

Thanks
3DocPop
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:34 am  Reply with quote

Pop, hit the quote icon first by the post. Then simply delete out any part not pertinent to your intended text. Or, you can drop and drag your mouse to highlight the quoted text, hit COPY under the edit icon on your standard tool bar, then hit post. Either works. I've been using the second method lately due to the hard to see highlight matrix on the site.
3DocPop
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:17 am  Reply with quote

16GG wrote
Quote:
Pop, hit the quote icon first by the post.

AHHHAAAAAAA Exclamation Idea Exclamation

Thanks 16gg. Another shortcut is to use right click on mouse to copy paste. Highlight and right click, go from there.

No intent to hijack thread. I do love my 16ga M37. I had the good fortune to buy one made same year I was born - 1956. Not intentional, but pretty cool.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:58 am  Reply with quote

Not to start an argument, but, my 16 gauge gun was produced by the NEW Ithaca gun company, in King's Ferry, a long time after 1977-I have the paper work, the Doscosil plastic case, trigger lock, and screw in choke tubes to prove it. The only thing missing are the last two numbers in my serial number above, standard operating procedure when posting about individual guns on the net.

My 12 gauge Ithaca was returned to King's Ferry for new wood after I got it, and, with figured Deerslayer stock that is cast for a lefty, weighs close to 8 pounds-it is also a 3 inch chamber gun. Mostly, I shoot trap with it, but, I feed it anything I'm in the mood for, including waterfowl loads, when the occasion calls for it. Not all Ithacas are lightweights, don't cha know....
Best,
Ted
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:01 am  Reply with quote

Here I am calling you Pop, Pop. I've been envisioning you as a gunwise old geezer. Now I find out you are younger than I am be at least several years. talk about a senior moment. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Ted, just under 8 pounds is very light for a 12 gauge target gun. My trap guns are all over 9-1/3 pounds. most 12 ga frame skeet guns are well above 8-1/2 pounds. Adding a pair of subgauge tubes takes them to over 9 lbs. However, these heavy guns suck up recoil like a sponge.

Most of the model 37 featherlight 12 ga guns I've handled are well under 7-1/2 pounds. Feeding a steady diet of 3 dram 1-1/8 ounce trap loads won't hurt these guns a bit. However, its a rare shooter who won't develop a heck of a flinch in short order with such fodder. However, few if any folks notice recoil much when hunting. The adreniline factor rules it out. I've fired 2 ounce turkey loads out of a 7-1/2 pound 12 and not even realized the gun went off. I was too focused on the bird. Same thing with a 375 H&H magnum. What recoil? Wink

The 7/8 ounce loads are one answer to the problem of shooting targets with lighter than standard target guns or hunting guns. There are other solutions like trick stocks with built in shock aborbers and mercury filled or spring activated insert weights. However, if a 24 gm load will smash clays out as far as a good shot can hit them, then that is the most senseable solution. Why make a hunting gun heavier than needs be just to make it comfortable for target work. Its essentially a hunting tool. If a person does shoot a lot of targets, then a target gun is the answer. Its also the right tool for the job.

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
3DocPop
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:12 am  Reply with quote

Ah, but we all get closer every day. Laughing

Actually the screen name is a compilation of my number of children (3) and my last name.
budrichard
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:16 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, Ted. Now i have another gun to find! A 16 gauge UltraFeatherlight!-Dick
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:59 am  Reply with quote

Right on 16gg about 7/8 oz 12g loads.

One of the sweetest swinging, carrying, quail slaying guns I've had was a 20g. ultrafeatherweight english. Shot lots of low gun skeet with 3/4 oz. loads too. Once again, like an idiot Embarassed, it's long gone but WAS part of my 20g Parker Trojan trade. Very Happy