16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Browning Citori Feather
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:46 am  Reply with quote

Not sure if the price is good or not but I saw a used one for sale for $1425.00. Pic looked pretty good. 28" barrels.

www.griffinhowe.com It is under the used guns in the gun room.

Thought someone here might be looking.

wildweasel
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:12 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, I just bought that very gun on Saturday from the Bernardsville store. It was in mint condition and I got it for $1300
wildweasel
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:55 am  Reply with quote

TJC wrote:
Hey wildweasel,
That must be the one that I started the post on to let guys here know it was there. I knew it could be had for less if someone were to talk to them.
I'm heading over there today with my Feather to have the inertia reset adjusted. Mine doesn't like light loads or even mild loads.

Where abouts you from in the area? I live in Stanhope and work in Mendham Twp.

Forget the the where abouts, I see you are from Chester. Small world.

Sounds like we have nearly identical guns. My only experience shooting a 16 is with my Beretta sxs. The Browning should be a whole new experience. First hand, could you tell me what I am in for? What do you like and don't like about it? I'm going to use this gun mainly for trap and sporting clays (eventually). Is it durable enough? Whatever you could share about your experience that might help me handle it better would be appreciated. If you think I bought a hunk of japanese garbage, you could tell me that too!
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

You purchased a bunch of scrap metal and wood. Bring it over to Mendham and I'll give you $100 for it. Very Happy

Nah, good gun. I bought mine mainly for upland a couple of years ago. I've just started using it for sporting clays. As far as holding up to skeet and SC, depends on how much you intend to shoot. If like me, the novice occasional SC shooter, you should have no problem. If you are one of the guys that shoot 100K rds a year, I'd be a bit worried with the alloy receiver as well as you might start to get beat up a bit.

Only thing I can tell you is in regards to using light recoiling loads like the Remington Game loads. They didn't generate enough recoil to reset the inertia block 100% of the time. It is however adjustable and is being done as I type at G&H.

Other than that, the gun is great for hunting. I didn't use it much this year as I swayed over to the SxS dark side. Very Happy

Tru Loc makes some nice extended choke tubes for that gun that come in handy for SC. Wink

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:01 am  Reply with quote

I owned a Lightning Feather 16, for a very brief period of time. I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, don't own a 16 that weighs over 6 1/4, but that son of a gun kicked the heck out of me. I think it would be an OK hunting gun, but I would not want to shoot a lot of targets with it. The standard Lightning would be the gun for that purpose, IMO, if you're going to shoot targets with a 16.

So now you have an excuse to buy another gun . . .
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:21 am  Reply with quote

Larry Brown wrote:
I owned a Lightning Feather 16, for a very brief period of time. I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, don't own a 16 that weighs over 6 1/4, but that son of a gun kicked the heck out of me.

Do you think it was strictly the weight for the reason it kicked you Larry? Could it have been a fit issue or no?

I am curious, because I am looking at a Lighting Feather, and not being particularly recoil sensitive, I would take it clay shooting at times when I got bored with my 686, but what you said definitely gives me pause.

Thoughts?

Brad
TJC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:02 am  Reply with quote

Brad,
Not to worry. I use my Feather for Sporting clays shooting 100-200 rds with no problem. I use the Remington Game loads. The recoil doesn't bother me one bit. Would a heavier gun be better for someone that doesn't like recoil, yea. But the Feather is fine on the SC courses. In fact, I've stopped using mine for upland and have designated it to SC only.

Now, the issue of the gun holding up with extensive use for sport shooting is another issue. A few trips a month to the different ranges would probably not be a problem. Shooting 100K a year, that might be something else.

KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:22 am  Reply with quote

TJC wrote:
Brad,
Not to worry. I use my Feather for Sporting clays shooting 100-200 rds with no problem. I use the Remington Game loads. The recoil doesn't bother me one bit. Would a heavier gun be better for someone that doesn't like recoil, yea. But the Feather is fine on the SC courses. In fact, I've stopped using mine for upland and have designated it to SC only.

Now, the issue of the gun holding up with extensive use for sport shooting is another issue. A few trips a month to the different ranges would probably not be a problem. Shooting 100K a year, that might be something else.

Well, some good feedback there TJC. That's good to hear, I will probably only really shoot it on occasion for SC and generally use it more for upland, although I am getting to be a much better shot with my sxs's for upland, its hard to drag the ole O/U's out of the safe for upland hunting.

Well whatever I get would definitely have to pass the fit test and I would like to try it out shooting before buying if I could. I am looking at a 16ga Nitro Special SXS right now, but I can't get enough info out of the seller to make me want to send him $.

Oh well,

Brad

Last edited by KyBrad16ga on Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

Brad,
I know what you mean about not wanting to drag the O/U's out to the field. My Win 101 Pidgeon in 20 ga. never made it out once this year. The Merkel took over the complete duty of shooting pheasants. At the end of the season for 1 trip the new Sterly Wirth in 16 made it out for a walk in the field. But the Merkel finished the day out in the PM.

KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

TJC wrote:
Brad,
I know what you mean about not wanting to drag the O/U's out to the field. My Win 101 Pidgeon in 20 ga. never made it out once this year. The Merkel took over the complete duty of shooting pheasants. At the end of the season for 1 trip the new Sterly Wirth in 16 made it out for a walk in the field. But the Merkel finished the day out in the PM.

I know the feeling. I ended up the season last year shooting a 20 ga SKB M100 that fits me very very well and it ended up being my go to quail gun for the last part of the year because I shot it so well. I just aquired a Parker Trojan 12 ga that I can't wait to get out on the pheasants next season. I have shot it really well on informal clays and even a round of SC.

I love my 686 SP, but it got awfully heavy lugging it up and down the hills of Kansas last year, plus I just feel like I get up and on the birds faster with a good SxS than the O/U. I would love to get a Merkel, but just can't afford it right now with redoing my kitchen and other home improvement projects.

Anyway, off to the farm to shoot some informal targets and then go Turkey hunting in the am. Have a good one.

Brad
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

Good luck on bagging a long beard.

KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

TJC wrote:
Good luck on bagging a long beard.

Thanks for the sentiment. I took a Jake on Opening Day, last Saturday. Good eating there, but yes I am definitely after a big gobbler tomorrow. We have 160 acres and 3-4 active flocks of turkeys that roam on and off the farm, each about 20-25 birds and one that is huge at about 35 birds. Some big gobblers in those flocks, just a matter of finding one that is looking for a lonesome hen and not screwing up the calling or alerting him too soon. If turkeys could smell, we would be in for a world of hurt.

I am much more of an upland hunter, but as many turkey as we have, it's a shame not to hunt them a little. Plus it's spring, there's not much else to hunt this time of year. Brad6260, who I upland hunt with, has been getting after my dad and I to plant some good quail food so we can have as good a population of quail as we do Turkey. He's got a good point there...

Anyway, have a good weekend.

Brad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

TJC wrote:

Only thing I can tell you is in regards to using light recoiling loads like the Remington Game loads. They didn't generate enough recoil to reset the inertia block 100% of the time. It is however adjustable and is being done as I type at G&H.

OK, I took the new gun out for a run last thursday. Recoil was no issue whatsoever. That was a relief. Shot Winchester super X #6 game loads and estate #8 game loads.

Shot some trap at 27 yds and 16 yds. Ran off 10 in a row to end my last round so I think I got the feel! I got to shoot a round all alone at the end because it was so late so I asked the guy to throw up some on-report doubles because of what you said about the inertia block and all seemed well. Do you think the problem in yours is a defect or from wear and tear?

Anyway, one thing I noticed is that when the barrels got warmed up, the spent shells start to stick instead of cleanly eject. After you pull out the spent shell, the new shell you put in fits in there a bit tight. Is this normal or cause for alarm? Does this happen regularly to you too?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

Thta was me up there...I wasn't logged in!
wildweasel
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

sorry....still screwed up...that was me who posted as "Guest" by accident