16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ithaca SxS "Field Grade" Question
McDerry
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:18 pm  Reply with quote

Researcher wrote:
The Ithaca built Lefever Nitro Special was never offered in MAGNUM chamberings.

My bad. The NID was offered as a 3" 12 gauge but on the 10 gauge frame.
Researcher
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:31 am  Reply with quote

Why they put the 3-inch Magnum 12-gauge on the Magnum-Ten frame has always been a mystery to me. From 1926 to 1936 they built the 2 7/8 inch Super-Ten, for the 1 5/8 ounce load, on the regular NID frame. Then in 1937 they introduced their 3-inch Magnum-Twelve on the big Magnum-Ten frame?!? They only sold about 87 Magnum-Twelves, so it didn't exactly light up the marketplace.

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:28 pm  Reply with quote

Might McDerry have meant that magnum chamberings were available for the NID? I think his comment could be read that way. I don't know one way or the other on the NID.
spj
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:17 pm  Reply with quote

Researcher wrote:
Why they put the 3-inch Magnum 12-gauge on the Magnum-Ten frame has always been a mystery to me. From 1926 to 1936 they built the 2 7/8 inch Super-Ten, for the 1 5/8 ounce load, on the regular NID frame. Then in 1937 they introduced their 3-inch Magnum-Twelve on the big Magnum-Ten frame?!? They only sold about 87 Magnum-Twelves, so it didn't exactly light up the marketplace.

First 3" 12ga gun to sell in larger quantities was Remington 870 before that Winchester sold about 20,000 pumps in about quarter century. I have one of those 9lb New Haven monstrosities and like it a whole lot. Cool

bandmiller2
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

I have owned two 12 ga. flues and found them to have very lively handling mostly due to their thin well struck barrels.Too bad the stock dimensions are hard for us to use today.The flues tended to get fine cracks in the frame at the corner of the standing breech.If you have a nice flues it would be wise to use lower pressure loads to prolong its life. Frank C.

popplecop
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:18 am  Reply with quote

I shoot 3 SxS 16 gas. made by Ithaca, a NID, Levfever Nitro and a Western Arms Long Range Gun. Sold my Flues, too hard to keep the low preesure loads separate from my regular loads, don't have any so called mag. 16s. The Flues is 2 9/162 chambered and should only be used with low pressure loads. The Flues you looked at is over priced in my opinon.

Jagdhund
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

I had a Nitro Special in 16 that had seen alot of use and some "custom" stock work before I bought it, but still always worked for me. I traded it for my current CZ 16 for several reasons, but mostly because it's stock dimensions made it a better dove gun than a quail gun.

KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:56 pm  Reply with quote

McDerry wrote:
The Flues design died off.

The Nitro Special is the precursor to the Ithaca NID. Ithaca used the newly aquired LeFever name to beta test the design. As it turned out, Its a tank. The design was available in magnum chambers. The weakest link is the 80 year old buttstock. New buttstocks are available.

Of all my older guns my 12 gauge nitro special is used the most.

Interesting. I did not know that Ithaca used the Nitro Specials to field test the design of the NID for modern ammunition. They did regard the Nitro Special (as is clear from the name) as the first gun specifically designed for modern, i.e. nitro ammunition.

It was clear by the 20's that the Flues design was not strong enough to withstand the pressures and stress from modern shells, thus prompting the NID in 1926. Are the Nitro Special and NID similar in design, if not finishing?
McDerry
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

It was an evolution in the cocking mechanism. The cocking mechanism allowed for more metal to be left around the breech of the shotgun. You'll notice a third pin on the NS and NID by the trunion pin. This pin holds two pawls that when the action is opened push againt cocking rods in the underside of the action cocking back the hammers. This eleviated the dog legged cocking arms in the flues design and the clearancing done for them and the hammer springs on the bottom edge of the breech face.

The NID action utilizes the triple locking lug of the Flues action with minor improvements with a variation of the cocking system found on the Nitro Special.

Finish quality wise, well its like comparing a H&R single shot to a browning. The nitro special had all the basics and some cheap wood.