16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Heidi now lives only in my memories
jkingrph
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

Think I know how you feel. Have two Labs, not hunters, just pets.One I traied for obediance and retrieving.

I do not like to think of loosing them but see the muzzles turning gray so know the day will come. One was struck by UPS truck and I spent much on getting the leg and hip fixed and how she can run now.

There is nothing like the welcome when you get home, only if you have been gone a little while. Like 16Gaguy cannot understand those who only use them as tools for ther own desires and pleasures, mine are truly companions and friends.

Enjoy your memories!

Grousen
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:53 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy,
Not only were you fortunate to have a dog like Heidi, but from your touching and eloquent post it is obvious she was lucky to have you as well. Only those who have shared that special bond with their bird dog of a lifetime can appreciate the tremendous loss you have experienced, but also they can relate to the joy such a dog brings into our lives. The enthusiasm, mischeviousness, and steadfast devotion these special dogs bring are a special gift, and we are all much richer for it. My heart also goes out to you during this difficult time.

Grousen
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 am  Reply with quote

My thanks and appreciation to all of you. Regardless of any differences in style, guns, politics, humor, religion, or anything else we could name, we all share a common bond through our dogs. We all love them, and are proud, happy, and so very lucky to share our lives with these noble creatures. We all hurt in a way only a true hunting dog person could when they leave us. And we all have those wonderful memories. Gun dogs and the men they love--we truely are a breed apart, and a very fortunate breed at that.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

16GG,
I am sorry for your loss of a wonderful hunting pal. I lost three of my pals over the past 7 months and personally know that hollow feeling in your gut. Hopefully, you can beat the odds and find another once-in-a-lifetime dog.

Hc

Haiwee
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

16gauge guy:
I feel your loss. I lost Lucy, my springer, almost three years ago (it will be exactly three years the day after Memorial Day) and I still think about her every day. Her place was taken by another springer, Sadie, who fortunately had the chance to learn from Lucy for two years before Lucy left us. Your comment that most men are fortunate to own one truly great dog in their lives reinforces to me how lucky I am. Sadie doesn't have quite the nose Lucy had, but she makes up for it with a tenacity and verve I've never seen in a dog.

You'll find another dog, and that dog will work well for you, because from your posts you sound to me like a true dog man. I'm a firm believer that almost any well-bred dog works well for a master that he/she respects and loves -- which is more a reflection of the master than the dog, in my opinion. I'm sure you'll love the dog like I now love my Sadie. But no dog will ever fully replace the love and respect and admiration you had for Heidi. May she rest in peace.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:30 am  Reply with quote

Amen Hiawee, and thanks again to all who have sent their thoughts and condolences. hey are very much appreciated. Its nice to have friends.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:04 am  Reply with quote

No words I can offer to make your loss go away. But your attitude and actions tell me she will live on. Atleast she will get to hunt non-stop in better feilds and coverts. I applaud you for giving her a chance to have a life of happiness and to pursue her passion. I have a feeling that she passed on fulfilled and satisfied with her life and achivements. The next dog will benifit from everything she has taught you. You have my thoughts and prayers I feel your loss, I like dogs better than most people. Goodluck and stay busy for a few weeks.
Rem16
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that 16, I know what its like to loose a good dog Sad
Dont worry, youll get a new one that might be just as good.

jroth
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:49 am  Reply with quote

16GG,
Sorry to hear, we that are owned dreard this occurance.
It only points out that when the Lord made dogs he erred by making the thier hearts too encompassing.
may he following help assuage the pain adn temper the lingering ache...

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE
There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors.
Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass. When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place.
There is always food and water and warm spring weather. The old and frail animals are young again. Those who are maimed are made whole again. They play all day with each other.
There is only one thing missing. They are not with their special person who loved them on Earth.
So, each day they run and play until the day comes when, one suddenly stops playing and looks up! The nose twitches! The ears are up! The eyes are staring! And this one suddenly runs from the group!
You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet, you take him or her in your arms and embrace,
Your face is kissed again and again and again, and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting pet.
Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated...

(Copied from the Warren Ekstien websight)
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:14 am  Reply with quote

jr,
Thanks, that's the one I was thinking of.

525field
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

Dont know how I will handle loosing the best friend i ever had the one that my feet are on as I an writting this
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:

My friends are all sending me condolences for my loss. I tell them all that I've lost nothing. Heidi gave me everything and more. I could not have asked for more from her. I would not have missed it for the world either. And... now she lives in my memories for thr rest of my days. Hiedi was a good dog--a very good dog, and my best friend. 16GG.

Well, I can only echo what everyone else here has said, that I am sorry for your loss and I know how it feels. I lost my last hunting buddy dog quite a while ago, but I still miss him. One thing I will say, is that I hope you have some good pictures to remind you of her occasionally. I made the mistake of not taking enough pictures so only have a few.

Anyway, thanks for posting. Reading through this makes me think of all the great dogs that I have hunted with over the years, a few of them my own. They were all loved by their owners and like Heidi, will be missed.

Brad

P.S. What breed was Heidi?
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

16gg: As Dez Young said about Hank "He wasn't the best bird dog in the world but; he was the best bird dog in my world" and as Ben Hur Lampman wrote "The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of its master"
Parker
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:05 am  Reply with quote

All I know is that the world was a much better place with Heidi in it, but that is how it is for us gun dog people. When we were out together, Heidi was my world. I learned to see the covens through her eyes. We were a team and a deadly one. She knew my moves and I knew hers. We'd just flow through the cover like water. I can only hope that my next pup has half her aptitude for birds. She was a good dog.