16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 guage on 16 gauge frame
mrosspa
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

I grew up around 16's and I'm partial to the gauge. My interest is shooting upland game and would like to purchase a 16 gauge SxS.

I was looking at the less expensive SxS and they are attractive, but I'd rather have a gun built on a 16 gauge frame.

How can I tell if the gun is built on a 16 gauge frame?

A number of less expensive guns look pretty good, but their weight is 6.6-7 pounds. (12 gauge frames?)

Would I be better off with an over and under?

I'm partial to SxS because of nostalgia. I'm told a SxS is a more comfortable field gun while an OU is a bit more accurate for range use. I don't know what your experiences have been. This is what "I've been told."

I do know that I'd like to stick with 16's.

Are there 16's out there that can shoot steel or bismuth shot?

Thanks

Michael
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

The answer to your last question is yes. I have a Merkel 1620 side by side. It is a 16 ga. on a 20 ga. frame. It weighs about 6.25 lbs. That's great for carrying and the shotgun points like a dream. I've shot 1 1/8 oz. lead loads at pheasants and 1 oz. lead loads at quail. The factory Bismuth No-Toz loads of 1 1/8 oz. of #4's work very well on big ducks like Mallards and widgeon. The workmanship is great. The gun is a little light to be shooting at claybirds unless you use light reloads, but it can sure break the birds. The downside is the cost...close to $4,000 now I think.

There are very serviceable side by sides out there for less, such as the Winchester Model 24, older Berettas, Parker Trojans, etc. The 16 is a wonderfully versatile gauge but it is not a panacea for rusty shooting or gun-handling skills; success still depends mainly on the guy behind the gun.....GOOD LUCK in finding what you're after; a significant part of the entertainment is in the search....

nossman
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:05 pm  Reply with quote

Ahhh, the search......Have you looked at the BSA Classic? The model offered by Bill Hanus comes with screw-in chokes. Other shops have them for less, but then again, they are fixed chokes.
http://www.billhanusbirdguns.com/bsaclassic.html
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:11 am  Reply with quote

Lots of ideas/opinions on the 'Buying a classic SxS' thread. Good searching (which is 1/2 of the fun) Very Happy
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:50 am  Reply with quote

mike wrote, "I grew up around 16's and I'm partial to the gauge. My interest is shooting upland game and would like to purchase a 16 gauge SxS.

I was looking at the less expensive SxS and they are attractive, but I'd rather have a gun built on a 16 gauge frame.

A number of less expensive guns look pretty good, but their weight is 6.6-7 pounds. (12 gauge frames?)

Would I be better off with an over and under?

I'm partial to SxS because of nostalgia. I'm told a SxS is a more comfortable field gun while an OU is a bit more accurate for range use. I don't know what your experiences have been. This is what "I've been told."

I do know that I'd like to stick with 16's.

Are there 16's out there that can shoot steel or bismuth shot?

Thanks

Michael"

Mike, the nominal weight for the average well built 16 ga. SxS is 6.5 to 6.8 lbs. Guns lighter than 6-1/2 lbs. are considered as built on a 20 gauge frame. They also recoil more and aren't as comfortable to shoot on a target range. They can also be more fragile too.

As far as SxS vs. O/U, each has its strong points. O/U guns can provide a more precise barrel bird image for longer range shooting under ideal visual conditions. they also usually come with cjhoke tubes and a sigle selective trigger. They are considered more versitile and better for target work. SxS guns have a wider, more easily recognized barrel image and can be quicker to bring to bear in heavy cover, against confusing backgrounds, and in dimmer or glaring light.

I'd put some thought into what you want to do with the gun. I also would advise going very slowly and learning a bunch before buying a so called American or foreign classic. Many of these guns are old, worn, and fragile. They also might have shell length and pressure restrictions that require buying very limited and expensive ammo. You could find a real gem or you could end up with a classic wall hanger unless you know exactly what you are buying.

I also would not overlook the Winchester model 12 or the Ithaca 37 pump guns either. Both are built on 16 ga. specific frames and also weight in at about 6.5 lbs. Both are wonderful shooters. The Winchester is only available used. The Ithaca is still being made and can also be found on the used market. either will give you excellent service. I have a 37 I got a little while back. I just love it. however, I also own several Browning Citori 16 guns, and a couple of SxS guns, an AyA Matador, and a Beretta 409 "Silver Hawk." each one is a great shooter and each has its strong points.

Take your time and learn what you need to know before buying your gun. I can see you are on the right track by asking questions. Don't let the various opinions you will get back stampede you into a mistake. Just ask, evaluate the info, verify by doing your homework, then go get the gun that suits you best and have a wonderful time with it. Good luck. 16GG.

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:59 am  Reply with quote

16gg is right on with his advice. That is why you should bite the bullet and buy a Merkel SxS. You won't have to worry about any of that. Very Happy

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:04 am  Reply with quote

See what I mean. Here they come Mike. Just sort it out as you go and you'll be fine. Laughing
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:35 am  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
Lots of ideas/opinions on the 'Buying a classic SxS' thread. Good searching (which is 1/2 of the fun) Very Happy

Hey Doc, since you are good at digging up threads, would you mind digging up one that I vaguely remember about which guns are on 16ga frames? It would have been from about 6-8 months ago.

If I remember right it makes a first stab at answering Micheal's question about which guns are on 16ga frames that he can use as a starting point. Plus there probably a few more guns to add to that list now.

Thanks much,

Brad
Flytier
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:53 am  Reply with quote

The original thread was entitled, "Which 16 gauge guns ARE built on 16ga frames???" and was from Dec 2005.

Try this link: http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=562&highlight=gauge+frame
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:24 pm  Reply with quote

mrosspa wrote:

Did that other thread help answer some of your questions? Alot of times it is very hard to tell if the gun is on an actual 16 ga frame, particularly some of the older guns.

Ask if you have questions about a particular gun or model or year. There are some very very knowledgable folks around here.

Cheers and good luck, welcome aboard.

Brad