16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Sweet 16 and Steel Shot
jecraigjr
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:42 am  Reply with quote

Looking for feedback. Have a 1958 26" plain barrel modified choke sweet 16. awesome on doves this past weekend so naturally i want to use it in the duck blind this fall. Tungsten is expensive and so is classic double from hevi shot...so I am considering the use of modern steel shot and have received mixed feedback. my gunsmiths voted 2 to 1 that it is ok but cautioned it will score the barrel. browning I have been told says not to shoot modern steel on older barrels as they are not rated for the pressure or the hardness of the shot.

do I:
1. forget it.
2. Go for it.
3 seek a miroku barrel (Big $$$)

all feedback appreciated.

Ramblin Man
16'er
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:50 am  Reply with quote

I wouldn't shoot steel if it were my gun. I'd probably try to find a newer light 12 for duck work, blasphemy I know!

Shells are available, and no damage to a gun you obviously like.
Winchester21
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:05 am  Reply with quote

I would follow Browning's advice and NOT shoot steel through the older Belgian barrels - the only exception might be if the barrel is Cylinder choked. They are the ones that best know their gun specs and capabilities.

When the Invector barrels came out Browning did say that shooting steel through the Japanese (Miroku) fixed choked barrels was acceptable for all except Full choked ones. Several years later, after they were not selling anymore fixed choked barrels, they dropped that recommendation, but they never explicitly said that problems were occuring with the Japanese barrels. I've shot steel through my Auto5 12ga Mag using a fixed Modified choke Japanese barrel with no adverse effects. I use it for hunting where not that many shots are fired. I have no idea what might happen if I was to start shooting 125-200 steel shotshells a day with it for Skeet or Trap. I would think that over time and with a lot of the harder shotloads (steel) forcing its way through the choke that some ringing might occur, which is why I also use a Hastings barrel which is rated for steel. Unless something has changed with them, I don't think they make a 16ga Auto5 barrel.
Old Hunter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:10 am  Reply with quote

http://www.shootingsportsman.com/magazine/2011/shot-talk

Just this morning I read an article on this topic by Tom Roster that is in the current issue of Shooting Sportsman magazine. Apparently scoring of the barrel is a non-issue with modern steel loads, the barrel ring is another issue concerning tight chokes, large steel shot and high pressure loads. You cannot read the article on line (they will sell it to you), but it is a worthwhile read if you can get your hands on a copy of the magazine. Final thought - even after reading the magazine I don't think I would shoot steel (or any other hard non-tox) in my Belgian barrels.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

Buy some ITX or Nice Shot from New Era at $45/box of 25. A lot cheaper than another gun, although a spare barrel for the sweet that you don't mind ruining with steel might be another option.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Golfswithwolves
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

If it were my gun I would just spend the extra money to get some of the softer non-toxic shotshells (bismuth, nice shot, tungsten matrix). You would need to shoot a lot of these before they would cost as much as gun repairs. Besides, steel shot is not as effective.

ALMODUX
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

FWIW, I have and will continue to shoot #2 and smaler steel through many Belgian A5 barrels of modified choke or less (IC, etc.). Anything that could posibly cause an issue would cause an issue with the newest, choke tubed barrel from anyone...YMMV. Very Happy

...and if they have a polychoke, shoot all the steel you want. Very Happy
16'er
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

Another barrel would be a good solution if you can find one cheap. Sometimes poly'd barrels can be had for as low as ~$125 if you are not too picky about finish.

But why pass up the chance to buy another gun??:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=249726781

Get your duracoat out and this could be a fine duck gun:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=249453541

Poly already installed! You are giving up one shot with a DA, but they are fine handling guns. I found a second barrel for my DA on gunbroker for $135 shipped. It had just been re-blued by browning. If the seller hadn't told me it was a re-blue I would have been hard pressed to say one way or another.
16'er
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

This could be your "Ugly Duckling":

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=249215631

Cheap re-finish and your set...
Spike McQuail
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot Nice Shot and Tungsten Matrix through my IC model 11, AYA with light modified/skeet chokes, IC model 12 and Valmet 16 gauge with interchangeable lead chokes without a hiccup or damage to the guns or barrels. Both types of shpt are equivalreent to lead in both density and performance and won't harm your barrel(s). I use #5 and take ducks and geese to 40 yards regularly.
bmc
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

jecraigjr wrote:

do I:
1. forget it.
2. Go for it.
3 seek a miroku barrel (Big $$$)

4. sell it to me.

all feedback appreciated.

Ramblin Man

i vote for option #1. and option #4. ha!

on a serious note, i have a friend that shoots non-tox through a very similar gun and has not had a problem. the concern would obviously be wrecking the choke and possibly distorting the pattern. so far so good for him.

the way i look at shooting my 16's on ducks is that i probably wont be shooting too much, so i buy the good stuff to feed through my guns. if you have a dedicated duck or goose hunt then i would think about shooting the 16 a day or two and switching to something else.

i have a my annual canada trip next week. im taking my rizzini 16ga, model 12 16ga, and model 12 12 gauge and a beretta al391 12ga. there are two of us going and we are each taking two guns. we will use the 16s on upland the 12 on ducks and geese, but remember if all goes as planned we will be shooting 30 to 40 birds each a day (20 snows, ducks and maybe greaters). when im shooting ducks locally i use my model 12 16ga.

good luck and let me know if you are going to choose option 4!
jecraigjr
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:37 am  Reply with quote

well, little did I know how much attention this post would attract. thanks to all for your thoughts. so what will I do?

first, Sorry BMC but i will not sell it...that was not really an option as I have two boys who will one day want to be a nut like their old man and shoot 16 in lieu of the big stuff...makes you pay attention to your shot selection a lot more carefully.

will shoot the non-toxic stuff as long as I can find it...btw - macks is having a nice sale on hevi-shot see - http://www.mackspw.com/ItemList--HeviShot--m-1279

and I will keep seeking a barrel. Saw that two miroku went for about $400 each on the board during my work in the middle east this summer when I had no internet access...oh well...if there are two there are three just need to keep my eyes open.

best of luck to all during the fall season. if you come to VA look me up...I will be the guy shooting a 16 ga of some sor in the duck blind.

16'er
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:16 am  Reply with quote

Where are you in Virginia?
jecraigjr
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:52 am  Reply with quote

presently live in falls church and have a weekend place in remington, va where I indulge my shooting passions

16'er
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:49 am  Reply with quote

It's been a few years since I shot out at Shady Grove, but I've always had fun there. It's about two hours from me now, and 17N out of Fredericksburg is a mess. I used to have a friend in Ashburn, so it was on the way. Now It is just out of the way. Shot a quick round at Old Forge last weekend, about an hour from me.

Have you been to the Pub at Kelly's Ford? Was always nice to stop in there for a pint after a round of clays...