16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Caesar Guerini
16crazy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

Last week I happened into the local Scheels and looked at the Caesar Guerini shotguns. The salesmen took a 12 and a 20 over under out of the case for me to play with. I was very impressed with the guns and I am a side by side guy!
Well I sort of was being all high and mighty with the salesmen and suggested that Caesar Guerini should have the sense to build a 16 gauge.
The salesman replied with this answer," They are working on that project!"
Well my eyes rolled back in my head !!!
Sooo.... I did a Goggle search and found the company website and of course I called.
I had a great discussion with _____________ ( I misplaced the sheet I wrote his name on). The gentleman said the are in the process of building a true 16 gauge frame and hope to have a 16 gauge Caesar Guerini out within a year. He commented that the current 20 gauge frame is too small to carry 16 gauge barrels hence the reason for the project.
The Caesar Guerini company seems to build a nice gun and have a pitstop program. You can send your gun to them once a year for cleaning and maintence. All you pay for is shipping!
I compared them with Beretta's in the same price range and thought the Caesar Guerine a better gun.
I compared their 20 with a Browning and thought the Browning frame a bit bigger. No offense 16gauge guy!
I am not connected with the company Very Happy But I trust we all will see one of these in a 16 before a gazalan RBL, Ruger Red Label, Gold Label or Beretta!
16 crazy
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

Hmmm---never seen one or know anyone who does---this does seem like good news though--maybe Browning will get off their dead ass and offer more varitey in a 16--longer barrels and lop for example.
driggy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:00 am  Reply with quote

You probly talked to Wes Lang. He is really running the company great. I picked up a slightly used 28 and found a very small crack in the stock by the trigger. He said send it back any time and they will take care of it for free. Treating me like the original owner, They will get more of my money. Which Scheels did you see them at? Was considering a new Browning but I like the Guerinis better.
MGF
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:59 am  Reply with quote

I handled a few of the Caesar Guerini guns at a shop in Northwest Indiana the other day. Beautiful guns and extraordinary craftsmanship for the money, IMO.

I'm about half-peeved that I sunk $3K in a FAIR Model 900 now that I hear CG might have a 16 out in a year. Sigh. Ah, well, the 900, which just came in Thursday, is a great looking and seemingly solid gun. Weather permitting, it gets out for its first shells today.

I know 16gg's views on some of these relative newcomers from overseas and have already run across a NIB FAIR Model 400 with a loose forearm. I can see where he's coming from. But I'll say this: If the CG boys continue their current customer service and business practices -- I've only seen rave reviews so far -- they're going to be a player. If you get the chance, check out a CG.

And I, too, have no stake in CG. After my most recent purchase, I think I can scrape up just enough cash for a propietary stake in a Snickers bar and a cup of coffee. Embarassed

EDIT: The good news is the 900 is a good shooter. Got it out for a few rounds of skeet from the low gun position. I was a little herky jerky on the first round, but got it grooved after that. Got some "smashing" breaks. Looks like she shoots where I look.

Last edited by MGF on Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
RWG
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

16crazy:

What model will the 16 ga. come in? The Woodlander? Or a SC model like the Summit? (Woodlander would make more sense, but you never know.) Russ
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

MGF wrote:
I handled a few of the Caesar Guerini guns at a shop in Northwest Indiana the other day. Beautiful guns and extraordinary craftsmanship for the money, IMO.

I'm about half-peeved that I sunk $3K in a FAIR Model 900 now that I hear CG might have a 16 out in a year. Sigh. Ah, well, the 900, which just came in Thursday, is a great looking and seemingly solid gun. Weather permitting, it gets out for its first shells today.

MGF, I can certainly understand you being peeved, I would be too. I totally agree with you about the Caesar Guerini's. I have looked at virtually all of their models and shot a couple of them that friends have bought. The guns shoot extremely well. If Beretta's fit you better than Browning's, you will really really like the CG's. I used a friend's CG Woodlander (what he calls his "field" gun) to shoot a round of SC's while he used his Summit. Wow, great gun and it fit me very very well (I generally use a Beretta SPI for SC's) and I shot a great round.

My friends that own them have nothing but raves about their quality and customer service, particularly the "pitstop" service and Wes Lang. I may hold off on that Browning now and wait for a CG 16ga O/U, unless a Browning just blows me away...

I agree with Russ though, that a Woodlander (or a Tempio or Maxum for the higher grade guns) would make alot more sense than a Summit, which is pretty much strictly a SC gun, with 30-34" barrels and a heavier gun than the Woodlander.

Cheers,

Brad
MGF
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:18 pm  Reply with quote

Heck, Brad, it's only money; I'd have pee'd it away on something else, anyway. Wink
If the CGs come out next year and absolutely steal my heart and I've got a few extra bucks, I've got a brother who keeps toying with the idea of getting a 16 0/U. I'll selll him my FAIR 900 for 1/2 or 2/3 of what I've got in it and get a CG. Man's always let me shoot over his dogs, and he and his wife are both fine cooks, so I've got to take care of the relationship Smile
The good news is, the new 900 seems nothing to sneeze at. A pretty fair lookin' gun, and I did smash the living hell out of some skeet birds today.
Hard to be terribly upset when you've got nice blue steel & walnut and you're shootin' reasonably well. Very Happy
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:38 am  Reply with quote

I've heard nice things about the Caesar Guerrini line of shotguns. They use the same generic barrelled action as the Rizzini, LL Bean, and Fair guns. The difference is in the final fit and finish. The Guerrini importers demand top quality work. Their guns are more refined overall. Plus, the importer has a top notch service system set up and has an excellent service record to date.

However, you pay for that level of quality. It is approaching the Perazzi level. In fact, the two basic gun designs are nearly identical. The prices aren't all that far apart either, easily twice the amount of a basic Citori.

I have no axe to grind with CG. I wish all importers worked as hard to ensure good QC, and service. That's how Browning became successful, and I think its the best way there is. I wish CG Co. good luck. However, gun quality for dollar spent, its hard to beat the Brownings. They are still the very best deal on the market for an O/U 16 gauge gun by far IMO.
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:49 pm  Reply with quote

MGF wrote:

If the CGs come out next year and absolutely steal my heart and I've got a few extra bucks, I've got a brother who keeps toying with the idea of getting a 16 0/U. I'll selll him my FAIR 900 for 1/2 or 2/3 of what I've got in it and get a CG. Man's always let me shoot over his dogs, and he and his wife are both fine cooks, so I've got to take care of the relationship Smile
The good news is, the new 900 seems nothing to sneeze at. A pretty fair lookin' gun, and I did smash the living hell out of some skeet birds today.
Hard to be terribly upset when you've got nice blue steel & walnut and you're shootin' reasonably well. Very Happy

LOL, spoken like a true 16er... 1) It's only money... (lord only knows how many times all of us here have probably justified various shotgun decisions with THAT ubiquitious phrase... ) 2) If I don't like it and find another better gun down the road I can sell it to my friend/brother/cousin etc. who has been thinking about a 16 for a while and I can get him hooked too...

Seriously though, all jokes aside that sounds like a good plan. The FAIR does sound like a nice gun. I have seen and handled a few of them at Cabelas and I did like the feel. I think I am going to have to save my pennies for a Caesar Guerini 16ga down the road though. Next to a Beretta, I really like the fit and feel of the CG's. I am going to just have to try the fit of the CG's and the Browning right next to each other to decide.

As for them being 2x as much as a Browning, I don't know about that 16gg. The Woodlander is MSRP at $2400, but I have seen them for $1800 to $2000 and the Magnus and Tempio arent that much more, a few hundred for a grade increase. Looking at Hanus' 2006 Browning prices, those prices are not 2x Browning, more yes, but not 2x.

Actually, thinking about it, it is nice to have these kinds of choices again though.

Brad
MGF
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:26 pm  Reply with quote

Heck, Brad, I own two Berettas and may make it three soon (saw a nice used SxS 12 the other day), but I think dollar for dollar, the CGs may be more gun for the money ... and they seem to fit me just as sweet. I want one sooo bad it's darn near embarrassing.

I was actually thinking about selling my SPII sporting 12 the other day and getting a CG 2-barrel set ... then I realized (1) I hit well with the SP II, (2) it's been rock solid and utterly reliable (3) parts and after-market chokes will never be hard to find and (4) it will always hold a decent resale value.

It was like 16gg's voice got in my head! Razz
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:03 am  Reply with quote

I've been impressed with the CG guns too, although as mentioned above, their price is up with the top end FAIRs. The FAIRs that have really been selling for Cabela's are the 400's, which are priced competitively with the Citoris. And if something happens to a gun you buy from Cabela's, they'll take care of you. Nothing against CG, because from what I've heard, they're also trying to do it right . . . but there's no guarantee that CG or its current importer will be around as long as Cabela's will. In fact, if I were going to bet on one or the other, I'd put my money on Cabela's. As for the loose forend on a FAIR 400 . . . the one thing I don't care for on those guns is the forend release. However, a loose forend is also a pretty easy fix.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:31 am  Reply with quote

MGF wrote:

"I was actually thinking about selling my SPII sporting 12 the other day and getting a CG 2-barrel set ... then I realized (1) I hit well with the SP II, (2) it's been rock solid and utterly reliable (3) parts and after-market chokes will never be hard to find and (4) it will always hold a decent resale value.

It was like 16gg's voice got in my head! "

Thats the voice of your own good common sense and solid reasoning talking to you. Wink I really wish i'd listen to my own more often. But...so many guns, so little time. Laughing
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:59 am  Reply with quote

MGF: There are medications for those voices and WHAT ELSE HAS 16GG BEEN TELLING YOU Question Wink
MGF
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:17 am  Reply with quote

Larry: I think I'll be pretty pleased with my Model 900, and you're right: Cabela's was very good to deal with. I'm not sure I should have dropped that much coin on a FAIR, but that was my call. Kelly, manager at the Gun Library at the E. Grand Forks, Minn, store was great to deal with. No complaints there. In the long run, I think the 900 will work out nicely for me. Seems to shoot where I look, and it's a certainly a sweet handling and fine-looking gun.

Revdoc: Well, I could blame the voices that say "Shoot more shells" and "Buy more guns" on 16gg, but they've been around longer than I've been reading 16gg's wisdom, so I guess I'll have to find someone else to blame for those persistent buggers.

It's all good, lads. Shot skeet Sunday and clays Monday and hit fairly well. And, right now, y'all are cheering me up. Some cretin smashed a window in my truck and stole my cell phone. I'm annoyed, but it's ultimately just a fly in the ointment.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:41 am  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
MGF: There are medications for those voices and WHAT ELSE HAS 16GG BEEN TELLING YOU Question Wink

This is from a guy who thinks Ebonics is the same as speaking in tongues. Rolling Eyes Laughing