16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  WTB short bbl'd sxs 16ga........
offhand35
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:02 am  Reply with quote

Looking for a Stevens made [Ranger, Springfield,etc.] 311/511/515/530/530A/5100, or even a 335, where the barrels have been cut off to 18.5-21", to make a rifle sighted slug double gun.

I have 2 customized 16ga slug guns, a Mossberg 190 and a Win Mdl 12, but have been thinking for a long time of a sxs.

[Deer hunting on CT state land is slug or bow only]

I would rather find one that has already been savaged [oops, pun?] this way than "ruin" yet another one.

One does see them around at times, and you wonder, "Why did they do that?!" Shocked

I do have a 12ga Stoeger Coach Gun, 20" IC/Mod , excellent, w/box for an even trade, if you like.

skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

How about this one??

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=250248154
offhand35
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks! I have been watching that one, and I am still weighing in on bidding on it. Though it is a 12ga, o/w it is EXACTLY what I am looking for!

There was a 5100 cut to 21" with a bead and restock for $299, but I held back because the seller said that there was a problem opening the gun after firing. It may be a problem with one of the firing pin springs, or with the cocking lever springs.
I did not have time to discuss the problem with the seller before it closed. If he relists it, I may contact them.

skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:17 pm  Reply with quote

You are welcome
Good luck on the hunt Very Happy
offhand35
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:55 pm  Reply with quote

Well, the fellow that has the Stevens 5100 cut to 21" cyl/cyl did contact me. The frame is white, case colors gone, bbl turned patina, restocked. The lever is hard to move, o/w action opens ok after firing. I think something is rubbing on the stock when the hammers are down. Anyway, I made an offer which was accepted. So now the details, like payment and FFL have to happen, then I can try it out. BPI's 16ga Dangerous Game Slug shoots really well from a cyl bore, so I plan to try some through it using the regular bead to see if the bbls shoot straight @ 50yds. If they cross at a given range, so be it, but if they aren't even close, well...I'm not going to waste time installing rifle sights just to make it look ferocious...I could try to resell for what I paid. The seller says he used it for a fast quail hunter.

THEN, today, I had to drive 6 hrs. from CT to Bangor, ME for work [Hello Dave in Maine!]. I stopped at Kittery Trading Post, and looked at a GECO, Suhl 16ga, 26" cyl/cyl gun. I don't think it was cut to 26", though I did not look at the bbl markings. When I go back Wed or Thurs. I hope to look at it again. It would be interesting to figure out if it was built cyl/cyl!
I had seen the listing online at KTP. If it was IC/IC, I probably would not have put it down. It could be an interesting candidate for a sxs slug gun, but I think it priced a little high at $725. It is pistol gripped, padded stock, and felt very lively in the hands.....Skeetx, I have seen your posts re: your GECO, I don't know how useful a cyl/cyl bored gun would be for me, though it would be a nice partridge gun, if the partridges ever come back to CT....

skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:48 am  Reply with quote

Good luck and please keep us updated

I like my GECO and mine is full choked
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:06 am  Reply with quote

Howdy, offhand!

As to issues of where double guns will put their slugs, you would probably do well by yourself to read this dialogue on regulation between a couple guys who are in the double rifle business:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=240779&page=all

In fact, just going through the double rifle part of the Doublegun forum will probably be a good education for you, especially as regards slug type double guns. There seem to be a number of folks who post there who use them as effective hog guns.

My opinion on using an open- or un-choked sxs shotgun for a slug gun is that if it regularly puts both slugs inside an 8 inch circle at 100 yards, you're fine because you'll be confident of making a killing shot. I might even go as big as a 12 inch circle, though that might be stretching the size of a deer's heart-lung complex. I think it's fair to say one probably should not be shooting slugs out of anything other than a purpose-made slug rifle (E.g., a Savage 220F http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=252071671 ) at ranges more than about 100 yards anyway. In the Northeast, a shot over 100 yards is an uncommonly long one, anyway.

As to that Geco at KTP - it didn't fit me the way I liked, so I passed on it. I'll leave it to you to decide whether it suits you or not - I wouldn't dream of depriving you or KTP of you spending an hour or three on their gun floor.
offhand35
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:36 am  Reply with quote

Dave, I saw the thread in doublegunshop.
I decided that pursuing that GECO as a slug gun project would be abuse to that gun, as it is quite graceful, and the stock would probably not take slug shooting very well. I did not go back to KTP on my trip home.

I decided to continue this discussion on the "Guns" discussion forum.