16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Nice Remington 1900
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:49 am  Reply with quote

Well, I took another look at this gun and it's a sweetheart of a gun in very good to excellent original condition. Perfect barrels, mirror bores, no issues other than the spring that I can see. I'm going to go ahead and get it, fix the broken lever return spring and clean the action, and then post it for sale on gunbroker. Has anyone here sold a gun during Christmas time, or is it better to wait until after the 1st of the year?

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:48 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
.... Has anyone here sold a gun during Christmas time, or is it better to wait until after the 1st of the year?

To answer your questions, "no" and "maybe and maybe not".

I suspect that if someone is looking for a specific gun for a Christmas gift and you have that gun for sale, it'll move a lot more quickly than otherwise. Cf, a post on another page of this site with a father looking to buy an 870 (16 of course) for his son for Christmas.

OTOH, given the way things work on GB, I suspect the "best" time for doing a sale on GB and having the gun in the buyer's hands so he can hand it off to The Big Guy In Red for placement under the tree, has already passed. It's 10 days out from the holiday, which lands on a Sunday this year, so in reality the gun would have to be delivered in 8 days or less from today b/c the shipping folks are tied up and getting the FFL's attention to do the transfer will surely be impossible on Saturday the 24th. You might have a day or two to get it into the shipping system to have it delivered in time.

I would hypothecate that, if one were going to put guns up on GB for sale as Christmas gifts, the best time to do it would be in November, with an aim to having the auctions conclude by somewhere around 12/5 and no later. That would give a full 10 days for payment to be sent, arrive and clear (assuming you demanded and received postal money orders rather than personal checks) and to ship the gun to the buyer in time for the holiday. If the buyer was going to use personal checks, push the end date back another 10 days, putting it somewhere around 11/25.

Of course, this pretty much precludes the last-minute and impulse Christmas shoppers from getting the gun under the tree which is, let's admit it, the objective here.

As to whether people will have incentive to buy during the holidays, this is not a commodity gun that would likely be subject to that kind of influence, i.e., running out of money before the holiday and then not being able to buy. Someone shopping for a 1900 Remington knows exactly what he/she wants and will buy or not buy depending on condition and price; they'll get the money somehow or have it laying around waiting for that gun.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:48 am  Reply with quote

Dave in Maine wrote:
UncleDanFan wrote:
.... Has anyone here sold a gun during Christmas time, or is it better to wait until after the 1st of the year?

To answer your questions, "no" and "maybe and maybe not".

As to whether people will have incentive to buy during the holidays, this is not a commodity gun that would likely be subject to that kind of influence, i.e., running out of money before the holiday and then not being able to buy. Someone shopping for a 1900 Remington knows exactly what he/she wants and will buy or not buy depending on condition and price; they'll get the money somehow or have it laying around waiting for that gun.

That's what I was wondering. Thanks for the feedback!

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."