16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Springfield J Stevens SxS 16 ga with Hammers
Flash5150
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:35 am  Reply with quote

I recently acquired a 16 ga side by side with external hammers Springfield mfg by J Stevens Arms Co Chicopee Falls Mass USA, pat Feb 10 1914. The serial number is 62083. On the underside of the receiver is a small circle with whast appears to be the letter "I", but it is difficult to make out with my weak eyes. The gun is in very good condition. I paid $300, so how did I do? I have looked for hours for info on this gun and cannot come up with much. Can someone tell me more about this gun, especially the year it was made?

One barrel mics at .653" and one at .664". Is this Modified and Imp cylinder?

What a great web site this is! I cant wait to read more posts and learn more about 16 gauges. I also own a 1953 and a 1960 Browning Sweet Sixteen.

Thanks everyone!
Flash5150
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

Can anyone at least point me in the right direction? I think I have determined that it is a model 215 made between 1930 and 1932. Am I on the right track?
Researcher
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

That be right. The G.S. Lewis, Patent No, 1,086,378, hammer double was introduced by J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. shortly before WW-I as a Riverside Arms Co. No. 215 in 12- and 16-gauges. After The Great War, J. Stevens Arms Co. continued to offer the Riverside Arms Co. No. 215 through at least 1927. By 1929 Stevens was using the Springfield Arms Co. name for their lower priced line of firearms. 1932 seems to be the last Stevens/Springfield paper to offer the hammer doubles.

I don't believe even tha Savage Historian has any records to accurately date old Stevens, Riverside and Springfield firearms prior to 1949.

BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:50 am  Reply with quote

I have a 16 ga. Springfield-Stevens No. 215 sxs hammer gun. My dad bought it new in the 1930's for $15.00. Dad sold it to his friend about 60 years ago. Dad's friend gave it back to me a year or so before he died. Unfortunately, dad's friend had cut the barrels off to 20 inches. It still shoots a 90% pattern at 20 yards.

Not sure about the chokes in your gun. You would need to pattern it or measure the amount restriction is in each barrel (difference between the bore and the muzzle) to be sure. However, on the Colonial Arms chart, .664 is closer to Skeet I.

Please let me know if you ever want to sell yours.

Flash5150
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:43 am  Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies gentlemen! I really appreciate your help.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:56 am  Reply with quote

And welcome to the site. As you can see, it's a pretty friendly place. I think you'll like it here.