16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Using reclaimed shot.
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:46 am  Reply with quote

I bought a 26 lb. batch of reclaimed shot for $13.00 at a local club. I plan on using it solely for informal skeet practice. It is coated with graphite and is a mixture of #6-#9 shot. It appears to be mostly #71/2 to#9 though, with only the rare big piece in the mix.

Does anybody have any experience or thoughts on this stuff? For the price there was little risk if it fizzles. I shoot all low gun and tend to ride my targets out a bit ( a trait I am working on correcting), so many of my targets are broken a little past the stake and a few as far out as half way between the stake and far house. Thirty yards or so?

Only the pattern board will tell for sure and I probably won't be able to do that until June or July. I will report my findings. Until then I'm going to use it sparingly and only buy more if it is proven effective.

Just wondered if anybody had any insight.

So far I've only tried one box in 16 guage guy's 3/4 oz. skeet load and the hits seemed very chippy. However, I went way light on the powder ( 15 gr.) in my .009 model 12. I'll report as I learn more.

Regards,
Grouse Gunner
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:13 am  Reply with quote

GG, I use only #9 chilled shot in my skeet loads. mixing different shot sizes will really string out the shot column. Plus, much of the shot has already been deformed from round to boot. no wonder your hits a chippy. I'd save this stuff for the 1-1/8 ounce 12 gauge loads and might even go to a modified tube to keep the pattern from breaking up too soon.

When loading subgauge weight shot loads in any ga., I'd stay with round, uniform shot. it will present a very short and effective string on the target. Most of my hits with the 3/4 ounce 16 ga. loads produce at least a well broken bird or dust. 15 grains of Green dot is a tad light too. 16 grains will give you only 1120 FPS. Going too light can lead to insufficient pressure to produce a reliable powder burn rate and poor performance. Maybe 15.5 grains might be okay but I've not tried it. I drop back to 14.5 grains of Red Dot for my 5/8 ounce pipsqueek loads for stocked quail and small rail. it works fine because it maintains a good pressure curve and burn in these ultra light loads. They also break skeet targets just fine with an IC choke.

PS:I meant to write 1200-1220, not 1120. OOPS! however, 15.5 grains will most likely drop the velocity down to 1150 fps. Its on the borderline of too light a powder charge. The drop in velocity shows that. the pressure and burn rate are at the critical point. ant lighter and ingition will get iffy.

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:58 am; edited 2 times in total
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:49 am  Reply with quote

Hey, thanks a bunch for the input. I realize now that I was way, way low on the powder. I thought I had remembered that you got 1220 (not 1120) out of 16 gr. so I knew I was light but not that light!!! I'll move up to 16 or 16.5 gr. and use just good shot in the 3/4 loads. I was aware that reclaimed would do better in the 12 ga. and have loaded some of my standard 7/8 12 ga. loads with the reclaimed stuff but have not tried it yet. My 12 ga. gun is tight improved and tight modified so it should be better. My 12 ga. is only 6lb. 11 oz. so I don't like going too heavy with it unless I'm hunting. If I have to I'll use this stuff in 12 ga. 1oz or heavier only, or just for the close birds in doubles or at station 8 until it's gone.

Unless the pattern board justifies it, this probably may be my last bag of reclaimed shot. The savings is not great if it proves a distraction or a handicap. Heck, life is too short and shooting opportunities too few to lessen the satisfaction of a well hit clay just to save a few bucks. Especially how poorly I shoot!!!

Thanks again for the input. I will soon be trying your pet 3/4 loads with real shot and the right amount of powder!! I'm hoping it significantly tames recoil in my 6lb. 10 oz. model 12. My favorite 16ga. load currently is the 7/8 oz. using a 20 ga. gulandi wad. I've heard your thoughts on that load and I know you like your 3/4 green dot load more. I'm going to give yours a good trial and will use it some, especially if the recoil is much lighter, even though it's a bit of a pain and a little more costly to use the card wads and r-16 than the gulandi 20.

I've got a good supply of r-16's, gulandi 20's and circle fly .510 cards so I'm all set for both loads. I'm going to pattern both this summer and will report my findings.

Thanks again.
Regards,
GG
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

Just one suggestion, these 3/4 ounce loads are basically the equivilent of a 28 ga. standard load. I would pattern them at 30 yards max. which is the same distance 28 ga. loads are patterned at. (FYI, .410 loads are patterned at 25 yards.) They will usually pattern very evenly over a 24" circle with a nicely formed 16" core. the 6" outer fringe of a full 30 inch pattern circle will be pretty skimpy. However, for shooting out to 30 yards max, these loads will get it done with the right choke and nothing bigger than 7-1/2 shot. The string is very compact and hard hitting.

Its like shooting an ultra overbored 28 ga. or a 7/8 ounce load in a 12. The effect is basically the same. The string is short, the shot is rounder and less deformed from set back, pressures are usually mild, and the shot column outruns the wad very well. In short, they pattern great. All you need do is put the pattern on the target and puff. That is also a bit easier because they don't recoil much, and that helps you keep your head down on the stock. Just remember: Wood to wood, your shooting's good. Lift your chin, the hits are thin. good luck.
Black&Tan
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

I love reclaimed shot, and whenever it becomes available, I try to load up on it. Is great for a short range game such as skeet and even 16 yd, Trap.
Roadkill
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

While stationed in CA and on a very limited enlisted man's budget, I shot several tons (literally) of reclaimed and had no problems. I only shot it in practice though, I would not use it for any serious competition. Another caveat - with the wider use of non-tox these days, I would run a magnet over it before loading to remove any steel shot that may be mixed in.
I wish I could find some here in SW OH!
Bill
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

If need be blend say one bag of factory to three of reclaimed
Bronco
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:10 am  Reply with quote

Anyone know of a place to purchase reclaimed shot in the SE? Shot at our range has recently gone to $24/bag Sad
TerryS
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:44 am  Reply with quote

I used to use reclaimed shot until I looked closely and saw all the small rock mixed in with the shot. Didn't want to scratch the gun bore so I stay with the new stuff now.
TerryS
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

There is always a hidden price to pay for in any so called bargain. Sometimes its performance, sometimes its the extra time and effort the bargain material or item requires to make it both safe and reliable. Sometimes the bargain turns out to be total junk. And occasionally, we win one too. Knowledge and some wisdom can help us avoid the beatings some bargains can deliver to our wallets and our peace of mind.

As with anything already used and reclaimed, its only as good as the effort made to make it servicable once again--and only good if the use fits the purpose. If you are going to use the stuff, look it over carefully. Rocks and steel shot not confined by the wad cup can and will damage a good bore. Unseived mixed shot will allow too much of a variance between sizes for good patterns. Trying to get the stuff to pattern well in the little bores or light loads is not real wise either. Some of it will not be very round, will fly out of the pattern too soon to do any good, and might even disrupt the pattern beyond the point of reliabliity.

If your source for reclaimed shot sees to it that the stuff is carefully washed, and seived to remove oversized shot and harmful debris, then you might just get a real bargain. If not, you may end up with lousy ammo or worse, a damaged gun. look before you buy, then look again when you get it home. Other wise the price mightr be a lot higher than you were counting on.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

Whats small rail??? as in narrow gauge RR or what??? Wasn't that on the back of soup boxes recipes??? add small rail to make a hearty meal???
rayb
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:43 am  Reply with quote

i've "harvested" above 5 gallons of shot from a range, i e enough shot to fill a 5 gallon paint bucket. First cleaned all the easily visible stuff out, then a little air shaking on a screen frame to get rid of more dust and dirt. then use a water hose and a oil drain pan to float out the remaing stuff. Just like gold panning, the lead settles to the bottom, the lighter rock washed out.

Haven't shot any of it yet. It may go to muzzle loader projectiles..

rayb

bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:56 am  Reply with quote

Watched the process 2 years ago at Edwardsville Gun Club in which the shot was reclaimed - went off to a smelter. Pretty interesting actually - large earth-moving machine with shaker lifts about 8 inches of soil and it all gets shaken and Pb settles through screens onto conveyer belt into a 55 gallon barrel. All said and done TWENTY-THREE 55 gallon barrels of shot were sitting in the parking lot. Pb that was recovered and sold paid for reclamation and money left over for club treasury - not bad....

Dr. 16 Gauge
Roadkill
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

The outfit that used to do the clubs in SoCal had that machine plus another that separated out all the rocks etc (never saw anything but shot in the 100 bags that I went through) then washed/dried/graphited and bagged it. As I recall, they split the shot with the club 50/50, their half was enough for them to turn a profit. Wish I had found out who did it and if they are still in business.
Bill
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:12 am  Reply with quote

I think using reclaimed shot is a kinda like wearing somebody's elses underwear. I try to avoid it. Smile

Matt