16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  To what state will we move to ??????
sbs470
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:49 am  Reply with quote

Hi Everybody
The family and I have been thinking about shifting camp from Australia to the USA.
As the continuing pressure from the anti gun lobby and the restrictions placed upon genuine hunters,shooters and collecters by the govenment increases I find it difficult to justifi staying in the country of my birth.
If I do move to the USA which state would offer the best oppurtunities for using my 16s for the longest period of time through the year

good shooting

sbs470
mdoerner
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:11 am  Reply with quote

Plenty of room in Ohio.... Smile No gun restrictions other than concealed carry for handguns (and that is being worked on in the State House and Senate). Other states like Vermont have NO restrictions, but they get lots more snow...... Razz

I guess instead of states to move into, you should be asking what states you should avoid, like New York, Califonia, Massachusetts, Illinois..... I say New York because of the stupid laws they have in New York City, Massachusetts on general priciple (Kennedys), Califonia (Assault Weapons Ban and their own arm of the EPA), and Illinois becuase of their stuipd FOID (Firearm Owner Identification Card - can't buy ammo or guns without it in Illinois if you are a resident of that state. But I (from Ohio) can come in and buy as much ammo as I want.).

There is a Federal restriction on what states you can buy firearms in (for example, being a resident of Ohio, I can buy guns in my state and any adjacent state. But if I go to Texas and want to buy a gun, I have to have the seller transfer it back to a local Federal Firearms Licaence holder (FFL) in Ohio and then he can transfer it back to me upon my return to Ohio. Quirky, but it keeps the politicians from being assasinated I guess.)

But, on the other hand, none of these states have restrictions like you Aussies have to put up with, so any state would be a gun owners paradise if you didn't know any better! Very Happy Good Luck, let me know if you need any more info.

Mike Doerner
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:15 am  Reply with quote

Carolina's ?? Help me if I'm way off base, but still affordable, good game ,close to the water(salt) not a bad run out west to kick rev's butt in teh merkel challenge
IDcut
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:30 am  Reply with quote

Don't know what your preference is in terms of topography, but here in Idaho, there is a wide variety of terrain. Some sort of bird hunting runs from Sept. through Jan., with turkey hunting opening up in mid-April until late May. I guess we have about 7 months where one can hunt birds. Of course, since it is a northern tier state, there is the associated snow and cold, but not nearly as harsh as other northern states
CH
IDcut
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:36 am  Reply with quote

One other thing sbs 470, it's simple to buy/own firearms here. No obtrusive states laws on firearm ownership.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:44 am  Reply with quote

For raising a family and enjoying your neighbors: KS, Neb, Iowa, Minn, the Dakotas-wonderful people. Neb and KS just joined the non-sheeple states by passing concealed carry (Ks had to over-ride the governors veto) Growing up with a life filled with guns/hunting/outdoors still viewed as an good way to raise a young person.
The most pro-gun culture state has to be Arizona (like we need more people moving in Confused) Look at the gun stuff businesses here: Ruger, Galco, Dillon Precision, Robar, Arizona Tactical and Shooter's World, Gunsite Academy, WilliamLarkinMoore and a bunch of others. Ben Avery is one of the largest shooting parks in the world and has every shooting discipline. The primary focus here though is on Cowboy Action Shooting, military, self-defense, and big game hunting. Elk and deer up N. in the high country around Flagstaff. Gambel's quail in everybody's yard Shocked but hunting with dogs in the desert is brutal (and the rattlesnakes are lethal). Good quail hunting in the SE where it is high enough to be scrub/pasture and less cactus. And we're just one long days drive from bird paradise-KANSAS Very Happy Very Happy

Other good choices-Idaho (beautiful but the Californians are metastasizing and you'll need to avoid some nutso survivalists out in the boonies) and Texas (tho'...how do I say this...uh....Texans live life BIG and take some getting used to Rolling Eyes ) Tx and Az DO have some serious issues with illegal immigration however.
Bring the family and visit them all then listen to your heart brother.
You'll find the place right for you and welcome to a country where people are still willing to fight for their freedom (well-some of us)

Last edited by revdocdrew on Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:02 am; edited 3 times in total
tjwalker
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:11 am  Reply with quote

I'm going to be prejudiced, and despite of what the good Revdoc says, TEXAS! I would say it is the most pro gun of any state. The true native Texans and most of the folk here are very friendly and neighborly. The only drawback is that most of the land is private and is leased up. If you can get used to us Texicans, Rolling Eyes some of us have places to hunt and might invite you to bring the 16ga, or whatever you want to use, and come for a hunt. We have good economic conditions, lots of jobs, and in case you don't have your own, beautiful women. (no lust there, rev, just the facts)
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:15 am  Reply with quote

Don't they have a real leagal defence in tx for murder. As in just needed doing?? LOL
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:16 am  Reply with quote

TJ: Gotta agree about the ladies but I'd put Oklahoma, Ky (what say you KyBrad) and Tenn close (NOT that I'm looking Shocked anymore Rolling Eyes )

Last edited by revdocdrew on Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:26 am  Reply with quote

Since I've lived in Texas and visited Oz, I'd have to say you'd feel most at home in the Lone Star state. It's mostly a sort of Crocodile Dundee attitude that seems to be common in TX. You know, pour me a small beer, yeah the 2 qt glass will do.
The Tex climate's similar to Oz also, with hot, humid coastline ala Brisbane, varying to sparse forest, open grassland, and honest to gawd desert not unlike what you'd find in Alice.
Tx has great gun laws (including concealed carry permits with reciprocity in 28 other states), great water fowl shooting in the coastal areas, and quail in the drier parts. Also one of, if not THE largest deer herd in the country.
Oh, and did I mention no income tax?
Good luck,
Pete
nhdblfan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:31 am  Reply with quote

I think you should also add to the do not move to state NJ (trust me its very bad there except of couree for the gang bangers and drug dealers).
and for the pro gun state I would add NH, a bit cold in the winter but very pretty and lots of woods (second most wooded state I belive).
C&R and concealed carry are no problem.Lots of great gun auctions,no slaes or income tax and the license plate says it all
"Live Free or Die" !
What are planning on doing for a living once you get here?That might be a factor on what part of the country would be best.
tjwalker
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:40 am  Reply with quote

Hunshatt, you can blast a criminal in Texas, especially at night on your property, but we don't really take the law into our own hands. But if they need shootin', we shoot 'em. Wink Not too many years back we just took an old rope and looked for a high limb.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:31 am  Reply with quote

Tj gotta judge friend in Galvaston, and a scummy (they all are) lawyer friend in Houston. Thats a little joke they are allyways telling.

Nhdblfan.
I'd start worring ,big exodice(sp?) from liberal land up yur way. Look at the way voting has gone the last few years.

TJC how do you feel about Jersey?
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:41 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Having resided in California (4 times and NEVER going back), New Mexico, Illinois, Alabama (true God's country - War Eagle), Maine, Maryland, South Carolina, and Florida AND visited at least once every state except North Dakota, Alaska, and Hawaii my recomendation would be somewhere in the midwest. Right now I'm in Illinois (and yes, the FOID can be a pain), but in about 3 months I will be 50 miles from the new World Shooting Complex and the Grand and it is about a days drive to some great bird shooting in Kansas and other areas (what is that old saying "the midwest is 600 miles from 60% of the US population" or something like that.

I shoot all year round - as long as the roads are open the gun club is too!

If sbs470 comes here with his Family can we send Hillary and Mr. Schumer there to replace em???

Dr. 16 Gauge
rayb
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:06 am  Reply with quote

Texas

?why settle for second best elsewhere? Very Happy

rayb