16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  To what state will we move to ??????
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:13 am  Reply with quote

per previous post: Texans are an acquired taste (Lone Star beer helps). Laughing

Last edited by revdocdrew on Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

Michigan, were the Grouse and Parkers are King ! Smile
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

South Dakota: Where the world is reduced to the basics: earth, sun, sky, wind: and more wild pheasants than I've ever seen in my life !! As a bonus---- great wheat country, the Terry Redlin Museum at Watertown, Lake Francis Case, Cabela's at Mitchell, the Badlands, plenty of ducks and geese, prairie dogs, whitetails and mule deer, rainbow trout in the Black Hills, Custer State Park, Bear Butte (birthplace of Crazy Horse), Pine Ridge and Rosebud Sioux Reservations, and some REAL cowboys and Indians.

Too many liberals in Indiana for me, and I need some space to kick around in.....

CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:39 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Barry:

States like South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Nebraska, Kansas and Colorado all offer a wide variety of hunting and fishing. They also offer a wide variety of COLD! I only mention that because you are coming from a pretty mild climate. I think we could help you a little more if you could give us a short list of your priorities other than just hunting i.e. are you going to be looking for employment? Do you prefer to be in/near a large city? Does the wife like shopping or museums or the arts? Any school age kids?

When you determine what's important, I'm sure we can help you (or confuse you) narrow it down somewhat.

Matt
b.randzin
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

I live in the Northeast and would not recommend it because of escalating living cost. In my area the taxes have tripled in ten years and so has electric oil and everthing else. Most retired fixed income people such as myself are either leaving or about to leave in the near future as it just costs too much. In my area the average new cheapy home is approaching 400 grand with 12 to 15 thousand dollar taxes a year. There are no small farms under 1 to 2 million and the next decade will see another doubling at least of all these figures. Go midwest or west or sections of the south even though the prices i hear are climbing steadly. We will spend time in Arizona were my relatives live. Gun laws are better is these areas as well.
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

Hun,
I can recommend New Jersey, as one state to STAY THE HELL OUT OF!!!!!

There is nothing good in NJ except for some of the hunting. Cost of living is crazy, car ins is highest in union, crooked politicians etc etc.

I'd look at Montana myself.

I don't know about Az. I don't like the idea of taking The Girls out bird hunting with that many dangerous slithering critters around. I DON"T LIKE SNAKES.

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

TJC if you don't care for slitery vipers you need to cross western Kansas, western Nebraska, Wyoming and most of the Dakotas off your list until after the first two hard freezes as well.
tjwalker
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:19 pm  Reply with quote

Per previous post to revdocdrew: Lone Star beer may help with a lot of things, but as a Baptist, I cannot say what. Someone once told me that a big problem with religion was that so many denominations don't recognize each other, or their common beliefs. Jews don't recognize Jesus as the Messiah, Protestants don't recognize the Pope as the head of the church, and Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store... Laughing
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:37 am  Reply with quote

Or Hooters Laughing
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:51 am  Reply with quote

Stop it you guys are killin me, just spilled my coffee all over , now the cats cleaning it up and beau's trying to kill the cat..

BTW were just alittle off topic, how does this relate to 16 ga, oh never mind.........LOL
IDcut
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:38 am  Reply with quote

In Idaho, the story goes, you had better take two Mormons fishing, if you only take one he'll drink all your beer!!
CH
Square Load
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:51 am  Reply with quote

There is one thing RevDoc forgot to mention about AZ. Since Australia and Az have some of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world you might feel right at home here. Laughing

The high prices in the NE were mentioned, $400K for a "cheapie" home. Az is not far behind, at least Flagstaff isn't. I am a general contractor. The same house I sold 5 years ago for $160K is now selling for $360K. It would be considered a starter home. We may have mountains and a ski resort but this certainly isn't Vail, Aspen, or Jackson Hole. At least our property taxes are low. But a middle class working man can not move here and earn enough to afford to buy a home anymore. The wages have increased very little the last 5 years.

After watching this state grow from less than 2 million to more than 6 million in the last 30 years coupled with the out of control real estate inflation and a 10 year drought, I am looking north for "greener pastures".

Dennis
rayb
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:43 pm  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
per previous post: Texans are an acquired taste (Lone Star beer helps). Laughing

Unfortunately Lone Star has been bought out by Miller.... Crying or Very sad

the old days of the annual stockholders party are gone forever.... Crying or Very sad

but the miller guys haven't messed with the taste too much... Rolling Eyes

and it is still available....

and there's still Shiner....

rayb

Haiwee
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

Seems to be a little California bashing going on in this thread, so let me come to her defense. Yes, the gun laws are a little restrictive, and, yes, we have way too many people and the cost of living is high and traffic in both Southern California and the Bay Area is horrendous. Having said that, because of our generally mild climate we have good bird hunting from the first of September until the end of January.

I would bet we hunt more different species of game bird than almost any other state. We hunt dove, three different species of quail, chukar, pheasant, three species of grouse, turkey and just about every species of waterfowl you can name. We also have world class fishing for bass, panfish, salmon, steelhead and trout. We have the most diverse set of habitats in the country. And we have the Sierra Nevada, the most beautiful mountain range on earth. Bash us if you want, but I think we've got a good thing going here. Now stay away! Wink
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

Haiwee,
Don't you also have about 6 species of rattlesnakes that love to bite bird dogs too. Sad Not to mention the people walking behind the dogs. Yuk.
In fact for a while it was Cal that was the only state to have the rattlesnake vacine available through the vets.
Can you tell I don't like snakes, especially the ones with fangs.

While Jersey has a few crawling around, by far the biggest problems with snakes in this state are the ones making the laws in Trenton. Razz