16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  To what state will we move to ??????
IDcut
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

Haiwee,
I wish thousands of your ex-California-now Idaho residents had your same attitude about the state they came from. I hope I don't live long enough to see Idaho, become Californiacated.
CH
Haiwee
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:44 pm  Reply with quote

Heck, TJC, we've also got about ten species of scorpions, plus all other sorts of wicked creatures. As Edward Abbey once wrote (to paraphrase), just about everything in the desert either bites, claws, scratches or sticks. I'm sure our friend from Australia can sympathize.

Knock on wood, I've never had a dog bitten by a rattlesnake, but then I take them every year for snake avoidance training. One of my buddies had his dog bitten on the nose by a sidewinder two years ago, and she almost didn't make it. The fact is, almost no one ever dies from snakebite, so I feel relatively safe. Guess I'd rather chance the snakes, mountain lions, spiders, scorpions and the occasional earthquake as opposed to tornados and hurricanes.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:43 am  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
per previous post: Texans are an acquired taste (Lone Star beer helps).

Unfortunately Lone Star has been bought out by Miller....

the old days of the annual stockholders party are gone forever....

but the miller guys haven't messed with the taste too much...

and it is still available....

and there's still Shiner....

rayb

Just as long as nobody messes with Pearl beer, everything will be fine. Tell them if they do, I'm coming down there and hell's coming with me. Laughing
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:06 am  Reply with quote

Sb470, I really wish I could offer a valid opinion of where to move to in the States. Trying to do so is like the ten blind men trying to discribe an elephant. we are a big, and varied country with a slew of geographic, climactic, and social differences. Even our economic struture varies widely region to region.

If you are self supporting, have a profession, a lucritive skill, or are financially indepentdant, then its a simpler matter of finding the climate and the folks you'd be most comfortable with. If you will need to find work once you get here, then that is a very different matter and will deterime where you live.

Be aware that you are about to step into an economically unstable time in this nation. We have been financing a very expensive war for nearly five years now and the bill hasn't begun to have been paid. On top of that, the fuel crisis is going to get a whole bunch worse. We are a society hooked on big gas guzzling vehicles and an interstate road system. Our way of life is about to go through some very trying changes. Buzzing around in Suv's and big trucks is coming to an end. So will the false sense of freedom its given us. People are going to start facing some truths about life in the States, because they will be feeling somewhat constrained in the next decade, both financially and physically. There are going to be some very unhapppy folks here for a while.

I'm not saying don't come here. The US is a great place to live. We've had it very good for a long time now. However, you will be stepping into a time of flux and adjustment. No one can predict what might come in the next decade or two. If you do come, come prepared for anything.
driggy
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:40 am  Reply with quote

I'd have to put a vote in for South Dakota. I lived ther for 10 years and was in heaven. Only reason I moved was the wife. No income tax, great schools, and some of the best hunting in the US. I'll probly move back into the region next year. Probly Minneapolis. Best compromise I can work with the wife.

As to the Texans out there. We in AK have been considering cutting our state in half so you will be the 3rd largest.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:18 am  Reply with quote

As an addendum to my prior endorsement of Texas, thought I'd make a list of the states to stay away from at all cost. Unless of course, you're fond of high taxes, oppressive gun laws, political corruption, etc.
So, in alphabetical order:
California
Connecticutt
Delaware
D.C.
Hawaii
Illinois
Maryland
Massachusetts (aka Taxachusetts)
New Jersey
New York
Rhode Island

There may be others that qualify for one reason or another but these are the ones that suck the most. As an example, for the priviledge of owning a shotgun in N.J., I underwent finger printing, FBI background check, mental health records check, supplied 2 personal references, paid a fee (don't recall amount) and waited 3-6 months. After which I was issued a "yellow card" (note the color) which I was required to carry in order to prove I was "permitted" to rights supposedly guaranteed by the 2nd amendment.

By contrast, in Florida, roughly the same process allows me to carry concealed in Fla and 28 other states.

And they wonder why people are voting with their feet.
All the best,
Pete
hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:26 am  Reply with quote

Four,
1st, Mass is the same way, regarding "rights"

2nd Speaking of rights, reading the on line paper today, and I guess it's criminal, stay home from work day, to protest for thier "rights" funny how this country has changed it's priorities.
tim
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:54 am  Reply with quote

Anyone moving into/living in NJ need at note from me or woodcock "mental health assessment: apparent 16g. oppositional-defiance disorder but only an occasional and highly appropriate compulsion to throttle a clueless sheeple??" Laughing (it would be funny if it wasn't so sad)
woodcock
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:29 am  Reply with quote

NEW JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!! Just take your meds.

Now to business. I'm a Texan by birth and disposition. 'Nuff said.

BUT-- where I now live it says "Sportsman's Paradise" on my vehicle license plate--it is.
Louisiana is about as hunter friendly as can be imagined with hundreds of thousands of acres of Public lands; leases as well. I can leave my office and be in woodcock coverts in 20-25 minutes--same for quail although they are rather scarce. Less that an hour from the duck hide--same for snipe bogs.
Turkey and deer are so numerous as to be pests here--were it not for deer hunters you couldn't safely drive at night around here; both 'cat' and 'fox' squirrels. Rabbits abound Laughing but warm temps present a tularemia problem before the first frosts.
Dove are more plentiful in Texas but we got 'em and Texas is easy to get to for either dove or quail. Less than four hours from here I can shoot pheasant, Sandhills, Canadas, Specs and 'sky rats'.
If you like the coast, we got one---rails and gallinules. We have an alligator season.
WHEW!

Seriously, if you're coming over here, you would probably be best served by taking a look around for yourself---this whole country is really pretty nice---you'll find something that suits you.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

OK-to summarize:
Arizona's gonna run out of water
California's new coastline after the big one will be somewhere near 3Doc's place in Merced
Idaho is becoming Californicated
Texas has.....uh....Texans
Midwest-heat stroke in summer, frozen in winter, wind never stops blowing, and those things that carried Dorothy and Toto to Oz
LOUISIANA Shocked .....how was the weather last late summer and are you still living in a trailer??
NE-hopeless liberal land
South has...uh...southerners (that oughta get the Ky moonshine brothers Brad and his brother Brad going Laughing) But the women are truely lovely in KY and TN, and TX, and OK, and CA (sbs470-do you have sons or daughters?)

My goodness Idea -think I'm going to move down under Exclamation

Last edited by revdocdrew on Mon May 01, 2006 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

New England, you say it like being a bastion of bleeding heart liberals is a bad thing
Dove Hunter
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

I've got to chime in here after a long absence. The southeastern U.S. is the best place to be, low taxes, great economy, good hunting, virtually no gun laws and BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!! women. Great weather too excepting the odd hurricane and tornado. I have several Aussie friends here in Alabama and they LIKE it. I like them but they have a strange accent Laughing
jkingrph
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:04 am  Reply with quote

Texas or Louisiana, Live in Texas and they are really strict on carring handguns in vehicle. You need a concealed permit.

Originally from Louisiana and still have a house there use for weekend getaways.

Was stopped by Ouachita Parish sherif (sp) deputy once when trying to avoid a massive backup on I 20 (was near my usual exit) for a posted drug search. Had wife in front, dogs in back and opened door while he walked up.
Nice conversation, then I realized my 45 was in door pocket, so I pointed it out. He simply said, It's ok we are gun frinedly here, dont worry. I said ok I grew up there and was going home for weekend. End of conversation, confirmed vehicle registration which had been accomplished two days earlier but had not come across computer system. Did not have to show concealed permit . In Texas similar situation would have been a big hassel!

Jeff

mrosspa
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

You've just got to figure out what you want. Here in California I can train my young retriever all year long., and there is a training area near me.

Rattlesnakes are a concern, but the antivenom offers little benefit, and the dog will still need to see the Vet. UCDavis Vet. Program doesn't recommend the immunazation, and there is a guy about 1 hour from me that conditions dogs to avoid the snakes.

I think almost any state will me basic needs. Most people live where they grew up. If you exclude this, the more plebian issues such as cost of housing, cost of energy, climate, and neighbors probably determine where most people live.

If I were to start over again, I'd purchase some acreage -relatively- close to an urban center, where the cost are reasonably low. Since you can't stop growth, when the region develops you walk away with equity, and do it again.
sbs470
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:25 am  Reply with quote

to all of the Bretheren of the 16 ga society who kindly offered their sage advice. The wife and I kindly thank you one and all.

When we first started talking about moving to the States we were going to use a blindfold and throw a dart at the map.

I have been lucky enough to travel America quite extensively and to even shoot in a number of states
namely
New York up state Deer and Turkey
South Dakota Phesant
New Mexico. World Creedmoor long range matches Whittington centre.2002 & 2004
I have seen a lot of the country and have thoroughy enjoyed all of it and also the people I have met along the way.

You the members have been kind enough to offer advice on a large range of topics,topography ornothology beer ,women,politics,weather,work.
,gun dogs ,religion,demographics ,disposable income,real estate values ,the san andreas fault,texans,snakes and the ozone layer.
All of which has been taken on board, sifted ,analysed and stored.

As we have to earn our keep .I will have to start a business .
I have had my own Steel fabrication business and also a crushing and screening contracting business. as well as a bikey bar and betting shop.I know that the States could do with an Authentic Outback Aussie Pub.
so earning a quid ( dollar ) wont be a problem.

After a thorough analytical perusal of the advice from the members
we have decided to use a blindfold and throw a dart at the map

good shooting
sbs470 & Mrs sbs470