16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Opinions on safe
MGF
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:47 am  Reply with quote

Sigh, I am temporarily w/o my shotguns, including my new 16. My truck got broke into last week outside my apartment building. Today, a downstairs neighbor's place was broken into.

The math on this one didn't take me long. The guns went today to a friend's place in a far more decent, secure locale.

If I stay in my current place, I've got to better secure my guns. My options are:
-- I have a Treadlock cabinet with a Medeco lock at a relative's house. Picking it up would involve renting a little U-haul truck and an appliance dolly and spending about 7 hours on the road.
-- Buy and have delievered an honest-to-god gun safe. If I go that route, I figure I might as well get one that's fire rated.

Besides moving (which is very much under consideration), which route would you guys suggest? Spend a day on the road and grab the Treadlock/Medeco cabinet, or get a modestly sized full-fledged safe?
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:37 am  Reply with quote

I would buy and have delivered, the biggest safe you can afford. And that will fit through your door. I don't think you'll find any decent safe, that isn't fire rated. Believe me, it will fill up faster than you think. Laughing
hunshatt
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:37 am  Reply with quote

Depends on the finances, and access. A resonable mid to small safe is still going to take you and at least one good sized buddy to get it where it needs to go. 12-15 gun browning I got was 900. ok safe, no bells and whistles. They lie about how many guns will go in. I needed to make new spacers to get 6 shotguns and 4 scoped rifles in. Shotguns are stored barrel down, for more room(and to keep oil from the stock)
I'm planning on getting larger one when the basement is done(man room, wooohooo)
I'd vote for the safe, but get a real one, and if you get it from a gunshop load it with thier guns to see how many really fit. Oh yea they sell neat velcro straps for the handguns that allows them to be stored on the door
TJC
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:52 am  Reply with quote

I wouldn't own guns without having a safe, no matter where I lived. It just stops so many concerns that responsible gun owners should have.

rayb
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:10 am  Reply with quote

Sounds like its time to move to another location, but that may not be as easy for you to do as it is for me to say

rayb

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:19 am  Reply with quote

Send them to me I have a fire rated safe. I will clean them and take really good care of them.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:31 am  Reply with quote

I personally favor anti-personel charges. Just remember, the side that says "this side towards enemy" isn't graffiti. Laughing Think of it as a house cleaning measure for your neighborhood. Cool

Seriously, a gun safe is only part of the equation. Moving can be a good answer if you can afford to and can find a decent neighborhood.

Neighborhood watch programs only work if the watchers are armed and willing to deal harshly with the scumbag element. The big problem here is retribution for turning the thieves and pushers in. If they think you and your neigbors can be intimidated, good folks are going to get hurt. We are always on our own with that one. The criminal justice system pats the scumbags on the head and kicks your ass for hurting any during your attempt to protect your life and property. The cops..., forget it. they are always too late and often too willing to further victimize the victims for making it so easy for the scumbags. We also face legal battles from the family of the "victimized underprivilaged lowlifes who are doing the break ins. Lawyers just love this stuff. Its like free money.

It sucks when this stuff starts happening in your neighborhood. And it almost always gets worse as the word gets around of the easy pickings. I hope you find a solution soon.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:39 am  Reply with quote

If the Treadlock is what I think it is a crook could be inside it within seconds or minutes with a crowbar. Get a real safe. I was out of town once and someone broke into my home. They apparently worked long and hard to get into by safe but never did. The numbnuts even got my hacksaw and cut the handle off not to mention taking my hammer and beating the combination dial all to heck! Safes WORK while those little metal cabinets wouldn't keep a 10 year old out.
nossman
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:04 am  Reply with quote

Moving a safe into and at some point, out of an upstairs apartment, will require more than one good friend. Also, be prepared to buy a lot more beer than what is required for moving what most people see as "normal" furnishings. Wink
hunshatt
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:20 am  Reply with quote

Noss, only if you get a "real" one. My little girly browning one can get handled by 2 guys(or 1 the size of TJC, or 6 the size of the rev, how he carries that clunky worlingworth is beond me) the browning is probably 250-300 lbs and is fire resistant. I had it in my first small condo, now it's in my first small house. Up and down stairs. But the beer is a good idea.My boozer friends require vodka to work.
b.randzin
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

Years ago i helped install, were i worked ,the best stereo in the car system you could buy with the safest rock solid in the dash mounting apparatus It was in there. Two days later it was gone from the customers car. They didnt try to take it out, they took a portable hack saw and cut it clean out leaving a big square hole in the dash.
Move and then get a good oversized safe.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

Three simple rules:

1. Never have guns in your house if you don't own a safe. (Unless you are willing to not complain when they dissappear in a 459.)

2. Always buy a larger safe than you think you need.

3. Bolt the safe to the floor or slab.

One addendum:
It's a good idea to have one handgun not in the safe, preferably on your person, to dispatch the POS working on your safe in the event you walk in on a 459. Be sure to articulate that whatever tool he was utilizing posed a threat to your life. .45 is my choice, 40 is good too, the 9mm is an amusing little round....... Wink
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

The Browning safes are good values with lots of features
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:28 pm  Reply with quote

I agree.....Browning or Cannon would be my 1st choice because I am familiar with them........there are also other good ones out there.
Square Load
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:31 pm  Reply with quote

Birdswatter,

I totally agree on your choice of self defense handgun calibers. I also think the 9mm is an amusing round and I think the US military is starting to feel the same way.

Dennis