16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Opinions on safe
MGF
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:38 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, guys.

First will come safe shopping. Right now, I've only got 5 shotguns and a .22 carbine, but I'll be looking for something a little bigger than I need at the moment.

Re moving, I'd like to ASAP, but I'm not sure I'm in a position to buy right now, and I'm not sure I want to up the amount that's just going to someone else. I'm working toward eliminating my remaning debt and getting a down-payment fund started.

But, in the meantime, I'll get a modestly sized safe to see me through. I've got to have my shotguns around. Heck, this sorry state of affairs is already costing me this weekend's shooting.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:18 pm  Reply with quote

MGF.....Truly hope you get it worked out.

Square Load......I'm sure you know, the military (by necessity) is in the business of wounding, not killing. What places the greatest burden on an enemy, burying dead or caring for wounded? 9MM and .223 create great wounds............ .45, 30.06, 308 create dead. Lessons learned. Wink
Foursquare
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:53 am  Reply with quote

MGF,
The large mega retailers (Cabelas, Gander, Bass, etc) are good places to look for a safe and to get an idea what you need. But the best place to buy one is prolly Sam's or Costco. Though it's strictly self-serve delivery. You'll need a pickup truck.
Don't make the mistake of buying too small. Wouldn't even consider a safe that holds fewer than 12 long guns. It's amazing how much non gun stuff you might want to keep in it, like the wife's jewelry, car titles, tax documents, on and on.
And while you're buying the safe, be sure to get a Goldenrod, or similar electric dehumidifier.
I have 3 safes now, and wouldn't be without 'em!

Good luck
Pete
nossman
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

Foursquare wrote:
Don't make the mistake of buying too small. Wouldn't even consider a safe that holds fewer than 12 long guns. It's amazing how much non gun stuff you might want to keep in it, like the wife's jewelry, car titles, tax documents, on and on.

X2

Iv'e been looking at buying a new safe myself, and keep coming back to one in particular. The Patriot P22, by Cannon. Nice safe, for the $, and a pretty damn good warrenty. It's my local safe dealers number one seller.
jroth
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

having a need for some cabinets I decided on the Stack-on security cabinets as being reasonable on the finances and easy for me to move (unloaded)
Also they were on close -out ar Menard's here in Michigan.
When fully loaded with the cased firearm will definately give HERNIA'S to anyone attempting to move them. And they are listed as meeting the standards for Califonia.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:14 pm  Reply with quote

jroth......If they are easy for you to move, they will be for someone else too. Security cabinets will NOT suffice for firearms. You need a real gun safe. Just letting you know so you are forewarned. A motivated burglar will make you wish you had provided more substantial security.
3DocPop
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:54 am  Reply with quote

nossman wrote:

X2

Iv'e been looking at buying a new safe myself, and keep coming back to one in particular. The Patriot P22, by Cannon. Nice safe, for the $, and a pretty damn good warrenty. It's my local safe dealers number one seller.

I bought a P22 in February, from dealer exhibiting at the "Largest Farm Show in the World." Supposed to hold up to 22 guns, but if you do that, no room for anything else. In reality, probably comfortable for 10 to 12 on one side, with room for ammo, valuables, etc. on the other. Heavy enough to make it tough on the bad guys, and able to bolt to the floor.

The dealer delivered, set up, and made sure I knew how to work the combo (got the manual dial, not electronic punch pad). By purchasing at the show, got is for about $75 less than I had seen anywhere else, either local or internet.

There is a manufacturer in CA that will build a safe to your specs or provide you with one from their standard line. http://hallsafe.com/index.html I am not affiliated with them, just wish I could afford one. Premium price, but they do a couple of things that make them stand apart. Lifetime warranty, so if your safe is ever damaged in a fire, it is replaced. Also, if you have one of their safes and need to get a larger one, they will give you credit on the new one equal to the purchase price of the first. They also claim owners have NEVER lost a gun to thieves.
Square Load
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:15 am  Reply with quote

Birdswatter,

I am fully aware of the modern warfare philosophy of wounding versus killing. I also think the the .223/5.56mm M-16 is the greatest "wounding" military weapon ever created. But if I was faced with someone at less than 50 feet who would rather die for Allah than surrender and is determined to kill me by shooting, stabbing, or beating me to death with his empty AK-47, the "wounding" idea just doesn't sound very good anymore. I feel the same way about someone breaking into my house.

I am sure you are aware off why we adopted the .45ACP 100 years ago. It was because of the inadaquate power of the .38 Long Colt service revolver used during the Phillipine Campaign in 1899. The 9mm is not much more powerful than the .38 Long Colt and less powerful than a .38 Special. Most of us have heard the last few months how our military is going to drop the 9mm and re-adopt the .45. It seems they had to learn the same lesson 100 years apart. I do know the FBI and our Special Op forces are already using the .45.

Anyway this certainly has nothing to do with the 16 gauge and is just my .02 worth.

Dennis
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:38 am  Reply with quote

3DocPop, Although I'm in California, I haven't encountered that safe company. Sounds like an outstanding warranty, and if I had one I would have long ago taken advantage of their trade-up policy. I see one common bit of advice in this discussion...BUY BIG! I was ready for more room within a year. Of course the advantage to having two is that if you relocate, two small safes are easier to move than one large one. The one I have now was a bear to move, I can't imagine moving one twice as large. Sad

Dennis, That's OK, I'm sure were allowed to digress a little, especially when it is informative and not overriding the thread. After all .45's need safes too! I am very familiar with the Phillipines story. Guess we had to learn that lesson twice. We call our .45 HP's "flying ashtrays".....serious stopping power. Wink
wingshooter
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

My .02 is in line with most of what has been said. Mine is a 600 lb Liberty, upstairs: took three BIG guys to get it there. Peace of mind, fire rated, and we couldn't believe how much stuff needed to go in a safe until we had one. Best of all, it easily supports my mounted bobwhite quail.

Mike
sbs470
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:32 am  Reply with quote

I bought an old two door Chubb safe about 15 years ago.it was pretty crappy when I got .
I sent it to a panel beater ,spray painter and he filled the dents and primed and sanded ,primed and sanded and finally put several top coats of Federation Green all the trim was a bronze/gold colour,prior to all that I pulled tha backs of the doors and replaced the old locks with 6 lever anti pick proof locks.When I got it home I lined it with a local hardwood (Jarrah) using shiplap boards I left the top shelf in .Now there is no steel exposed at all.It holds 25 long arms and a lot of my company recordsas well.

40"wide 26"deep 60" high.My house is nearly 100 years old and the safe looks the part sitting here in my office as I have tried to furnish the office with period furniture and also a wooden filing cabinet.
One thing is for sure you wont open it in a hurry if you ain't got the keys and I can leave home confident that my guns are safe.

good shooting
sbs470

PS
GUN SAFES ARE COMPULSORY IN THIS COUNTRY
wingshooter
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

sbs-

Thought you mates couldn't have guns anymore- what is the status of of gun ownership there?

To stay on topic, your safe sounds great. Love to see a pic.

Mike
MGF
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:08 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input.

Moving isn't coming soon enough, so I bought a safe and had it delivered. It's a Liberty Centurion that will supposedly hold 22 guns. At a fraction of that number, I'll be good for some time.

It's fire rated at 30 minutes at 1200 degrees. Weight is about 450 pounds empty.

Should do the trick for a while.

Last edited by MGF on Tue May 09, 2006 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:20 pm  Reply with quote

There you go! Great decision Wink .
TJC
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:04 am  Reply with quote

That should work fine.