16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Stock for 16 gauge Browning Citory
JTK
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:26 am  Reply with quote

Does anybody know if the 16 gauge citory uses the same stocks as the 20 gauge citory?

Greetings, Johannes
gunsrus
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:28 am  Reply with quote

Welcome , the 16 gauge Citori is built on it's own frame .
Gordon Disharoon
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:49 am  Reply with quote

gunsruw
. If you measure the frames of a 20 and a 16 they are the same. The fireing pin holes are identical as well. I think that Browning uses two frame sizes on the Citori. I had a 20ga and a 410 Citori Skeet and the barrels would interchange. I did not fire them but the barrels fit and the forends also clicked into place.

I would not hesitate to put a 20ga. stock on a 16 as it should fit without much final fitting at all.

Regards, Gordon

JTK
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

You can't interchange barrel with 16 & 20 gauge. I have tryed. I also measurede the hight of the action. The 16 gauge is a little bit larger.
gunsrus
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:24 pm  Reply with quote

Gordon Disharoon wrote:
gunsruw
. If you measure the frames of a 20 and a 16 they are the same. The fireing pin holes are identical as well. I think that Browning uses two frame sizes on the Citori. I had a 20ga and a 410 Citori Skeet and the barrels would interchange. I did not fire them but the barrels fit and the forends also clicked into place.

I would not hesitate to put a 20ga. stock on a 16 as it should fit without much final fitting at all.

Regards, Gordon

Gordon , have you ever actually tried to put 16 gauge barrels on a 20 gauge frame ? I just did . Both were lightning models and although they are ever so similar in size , the 16 barrels were just a tad too big and the 20 gauge frame would not accept them . Maybe your measurements look the same but the 16 is larger by ever so slight or maybe my guns differ or maybe I'm not seeing this the right way . Maybe someone else here will chime in and measure their guns . If I'm wrong I stand corrected .
Al
gunsrus
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not saying the stocks would not fit with a little work . I don't know that for sure and I've never done it .
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

The 16 ga Citori receiver/block has the same height as the 20/28/.410 frame. However, it is .050" wider across with a wider interior as well, so it will accept the .050" wider barrel block. The 16 ga butt stocks are also a bit wider across at the cheeks to accomodate the slightly wider frames. Hope this info helps.

On a related thread, I advise folks to never try and interchange Citori barrels and receivers. YOU CAN DAMAGE THEM. The barrel blocks are carefully fitted to a specific frame. The receiver and block are then marked with a specific serial number. Only the multiple gauge skeet and hunting qauge sets have more than one barrel fitted to a specific frame.
gunsrus
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you 16gg .
Gordon Disharoon
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

A shooting friend of mine has a 20ga. 325 and I will try my barrels in his gun the next time we shoot. Would have been this weekend but rain is forecast.

Regards, Gordon