16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ithaca 16's shipping in August
Haiwee
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:44 am  Reply with quote

I spoke with Matt at the factory today (btw, these guys are great) to get in line for a new 16, and he told me the 16's and 20's should be shipping by August. The new guns have proof-tested barrels and steel shot-ready choke tubes. Still not sure on the final price, but said it would be between $650 and $750, so it's within the price range of an 870 Wingmaster.

He also told me of their plans to manufacture a 28 gauge Model 37 on its own proportional frame. He said they hoped to have it by November, but that it might have to be an early 2007 release. So it looks like I'm buying two new Ithaca's (yes, I do shoot something besides a 16 gauge). Very Happy
mdoerner
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:14 am  Reply with quote

They're also getting ready to start up a NID line as soon as Model 37 production is fully re-established. Needless to say, I asked them to call me when they think they're ready. Very Happy They anticipate somewhere in 2007 that the NID line would be in place. Subject to change.....

Mike Doerner
H.H. Hipshot
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:36 am  Reply with quote

If anyone has a guess, how much should I save up for a NID?

HHH

nossman
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

H.H. Hipshot wrote:
If anyone has a guess, how much should I save up for a NID?

HHH

I'm waiting for them to roll out as well. I see a 2006 tax year return, re-investment. Should probably just about cover it, maybe. Confused

I won't tell you what I paid for my Wingmaster 870, but it was new in the box (cut it open myself), for considerably less than the price range listed above.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

Are they planning to build these guns themselves, import guns, or import parts and assemble them here? I think it's great that they're planning to make NID's again, but if the price turns out like the other "reissues" (Galazan Foxes and M21's) or the Remington Parker (just south of 50 grand) or if they import a gun like the Marlin LC Smiths (which are Smiths in name only)...

I know some folks can, and do, pay as much for a shotgun as I paid for my first house, but I can't, and I'm not sure I would if I could . I just can't see them making money producing an American sxs gun that regular folks can afford.

But as Dennis Miller used to say, "That's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Brad6260
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

"Been there seen that" as they say !

We'll see but remember there have been several Ithaca remakes over the years and none have been anything to get real excited about.

The Classic Doubles were nice guns but nothing remarkable about them and IMHO not a great value and the Mario Beschi's were mediocre imitations so I wish the new guy's much success but I'll stay devoted to the old girls.

Brad
mdoerner
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

I my brief talk with Matt, basically they are a die shop that is getting pushed out by foreign competition (i.e. China) and bought Ithaca 1.) to create more work for themselves and 2.) it's been a dream of the owners to make Ithacas, plain and simple.

All of this will come down to two things, 1.) can they build a quality product? and 2.) Can they expand their product line to include new technology? I do not know how much demand there is for Ithaca 37's, Model 51's, or NID's anymore. Don't know if they can get a large chain to carry their product (i.e. Bass Pro, Dick's, Gander Mountain or even mom and pop shops). I hate to think of it, but they may need a 12 GA 3.5" Model 37 to attract other "new" owners to the brand. However, if the QUALITY is there, then there's no reason they will not succeed. Then it's just a matter of finding the right price/market for the product, if that's possible.....I hope they do succeed at what they're going after, not too many American companies seem to be able to these days. If they start rolling NID's out I told the wife I gotta have one in 16GA though...... Very Happy

Mike Doerner
Brad6260
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:25 am  Reply with quote

Mike,
I pretty much agree with everything you said and was sincere when I said in my previous statement that I hope these guy's make a quality product that finds a market and brings them success.

So everyone that needs to clear out their old NID's from the safe to pay for and make room for the "new" ones feel free to give me a call and I'll be happy to solve your dilemma.

Cheers,
Brad
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:24 am  Reply with quote

I'll help you out with that Brad; no reason you should bear the burden all by yourself Very Happy !

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:50 am  Reply with quote

While I was ordering a new barrel for my 1969 model 37, Craig Marshall told me about the 28 ga small frame 37 guns. I figure they will have a winner. i kept mum on it to not tip their hand for them until they were ready to announce it themselves. They have since then.

I wrote them a letter about the reemergance of the 16 ga onto the upland hunting scene. I urged them to concentrate on the smaller framed model 37 guns as this is the strong suit of this gun, especially since they are the only ga. specific 16 ga pump gun in existance at this time. I also mentioned this group and asked him to look us up. He assured me that he also was a fan of trhe 16 ga. would see to it, but stated it would be on the back burner for a while. I guess maybe the input from this grouip has influenced him to rethink the schedule.\

Like, I've said before, we have clout.Now, it looks like we are learning to use that clout. This is wonderful news. Go 16 Gauge Society!!!
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:25 am  Reply with quote

As much as I hate to say it, anyone who wants an Ithaca 16 from this outfit had better get an order in quick. At the price point mentioned I just don't see them selling many pumps, especially as I understand they are going to sell consumer direct. A BPS with walnut stock and blued finish comes in under $500 last time I saw one for sale and new Wingmasters retail for a tad above $500. If the new Ithaca has to have $650-$750 for the model 37 they will find the market just won't support it. I won't get excited about the prospect of a NID until the gun is out and more is known. Nor do I see any reason for the new Ithaca to reintroduce the model 51 auto. With Benelli and Beretta seeming to take the lead on autos any new gun is going to have to have something spectacular to make it. And it remains to be seen if the Remington CTI105 can compete with the B's. In short, I just don't see a brite future for Ithaca. Hope I am wrong and they sell like gangbusters.
Haiwee
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:51 pm  Reply with quote

I respectfully disagree, CFT. I for one will gladly pay $150 to $200 more for a bottom-ejecting 16 or 28 gauge gun on a guage specific frame. Of course, I own many shotguns and price has never been my overriding concern when buying.

Now if Remington started shipping Wingmasters on true 16 and 28 frames (their 28 is on a 20 gauge frame) Ithaca might have some trouble, but for now it looks to me like they'll occupy a very distinct and unique niche in the pump gun market. And having owned several M37's and Wingmasters through the years, I greatly prefer the fit, finish and shootability of the M37. If these new guns are true to the classic Ithaca design I think they'll do fine.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

I gotta go with Clay on this one. The Ithacas were nice guns; maybe these will be too. But when you get into $600-$700 or more for a pump, now you're getting into the price range where it's not impossible to find a gently-used Model 12 in 16 ga. It may not have choke tubes, but it will last another lifetime, even if it may already be 50-65 years old or older. It definitely would be built on a 16 ga. frame, and the market is there. Again, nothing at all wrong with the 37....but I know which one I'd pick for the money....

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

I've got a gently used model 12 20 gauge that will hit the road pronto when Ithaca brings out the 28 gauge 37-the only thing a model 12 does better than an Ithaca is to help spend foolish people's money.

Some fool can spend the dough for mine to get me into a better model 37.
Best,
Ted
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

Ted---you and I have been through this before, so congratulations on printing the stupidest comment I've read or seen today.