16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Parker Report
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

I just got my 16 gauge, 0 frame, GH, 28" Damascus barreled gun back from the gunsmith. I sent it out because someone had cut the stock down to 12" lop and added an ugly recoil pad. I had him take the gun apart for a good cleaning and inspection. Then he added a piece to the stock, to get me a 14-1/2" LOP with an original type dogs head butt plate. Wow, what a difference. I was just smoking the clays with it today. Word of warning. I have one of those Do-All set on throwers. The 3/4 cock type. I was trying to throw some fast report pairs for the kids, and didn't get my hand out of the way fast enough. Embarassed Cut three of my fingers pretty good, and I thought I broke my little finger. Of course it was my right hand, so that put an end to my shooting for the afternoon. Oh well, next wekends only 5 days away. Very Happy
GA_Longhorn
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

OUCH....

I did that once. All I can say is it felt much better after it quit hurting. Laughing

Regards,
Charles

offhand35
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

That's why I was trying to wear my little Hoppes thrower out. ....Maybe it will make its way out to a table during the tag sale in June......then I can get the Trius One-Step....... Smile
Hope your hand gets better soon!

3DocPop
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:10 am  Reply with quote

Dave, sure glad no worse damage, and thanks for the safety reminder.

My son got a Trius One-Step for Christmas. Great tool for throwing clays, no pressure on the arm while you are setting it, adjustable for speed and angle without tools. Not sure how it would work for report throws, but it helps keep the hands out of the danger zone. Even when cocked, no pressure on the arm - that is applied once you begin stepping on the release pedal.

Only drawback is no sitting down while using, although we have not tried it this way. It takes a fair amount of pressure to release, and I think you would get a real workout from the sitting position.

I recently watched someone set a Do-All or Hoppes style thrower PUSHING the arm. Scared the wadding out of me, as I could just imagine him losing his grip, and that thing getting not only his hand, but forearm as well. Kind of like starting an old tractor, with a hand crank. First lesson my Dad gave me in tractor driving was to start the tractor PULLING the crank.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:28 am  Reply with quote

I also have the Trius One-Step. It's works well, except you work up a pretty good sweat bending over loading all the time. Plus if you shoot in a field, you have to mount the unit on a board. Or the legs sink into the dirt and cock the unit sideways. It's not as fast for report pairs, but it is safer. Laughing
The Do-all has a stronger spring, and will throw clays faster and farther. I found mine at a garage sale, new in the box, for $50.00. Couldn't pass it up.
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:24 am  Reply with quote

Been using a Trius 1 Step for years and am totally satisfied;finally broke a mainspring after shooting several hundred rounds a week for two years. Best part is you can go by yourself and don't have to put up with your buddy whining that he wants to go home!
cedar16
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:40 am  Reply with quote

Sorry about the finger injuries, but just having a 16-ga in G grade on a zero frame fit to your LOP has got to ease the pain a little--hope you are back shooting soon.