16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  IMR
b.randzin
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

Any recommendations or not on using Imr7625 or PB in reloading 16g shells. I have used a lot of IMR in reloading metallic cartridges but have no experience with shotshells. I will be reloading mainly 1 oz shot.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

The SR 7625 is mainly what I use in my 16 gauge reloads, but they are low pressure. I also use PB for my 12 gauge low pressure loads. Others that load standard loads may chim in with other advice. You may want to look at joining the 16 gauge low pressure group, even if you don't require low pressure loads. Lots of good info. from them.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

I have had good luck with PB in 1 oz loads-the only downfall is the cost.I went to Unique--less cost per pound when bought in the 8lbs and also a lesser weight is reqired as it is a slightly faster powder.
bigric
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:33 am  Reply with quote

I've got a PB recipe or two that I like for 16 ga. It's only $1 more per pound than Unique. Like Dave suggested, the low-pressure group has these recipies and a lot more.
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:15 am  Reply with quote

IMR PB and Accurate Solo 1250 are the only two powders I use for 16 Gauge target loads.

On the rare occasions I load 1 1/8oz hunting loads IMR 7625 is my favorite.

They are all clean, uniform, and most importantly bulky i.e. as easier to develop a load sans using filler of some kind........

I have gone back and forth between 7/8oz and 1oz loads for target in the 16.... (and the 12 as well) Finally I modified a bar to throw 15/16oz which quickly became my favorite.

Slidehammer
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:29 am  Reply with quote

IMR powders are more costly than a dollar a pound than the Alliant powders. Unless I'm mistaken, IMR powders are sold by the 1/2 pound, 5 pounds, etc. When you figure the real cost, its nearer 20% more.

You also do not need any filler in most 1 ounce loads using Unique, if you are using 1 ounce 16 ga wads. It has all the bulk needed for any load from 1100 fps to over 1290 fps. Herco is even more versitile for high velocity 1 and 1-1/8 ounce loads in some cases. Both powders are known for their uniformity and excellent metering. Alliant has also done an outstanding job of cleaning up the old Hercules line. The entire line is now very clean burning, even at the low end of the pressure range.

One other aspect of the Alliant powders that is a big plus, they are designed to fall right in line on the pressure to velocity scale from very fast burning to slow burning almost in stairstep fashion. If a faster powder in the line is just a tad too hot for a certain load, its a fair bet the next slowest will be fine and will have the right bulk for the job. The entire line has been established for some time now. The powders function with almost boring regularity and reliablility. When it comes to reloading, I like boring and hate surprises.

There is one IMR powder that Alliant has not matched for versitility in fast 16 through 28 ga loads--800X. However, it meters terribly and must be weighed instead of thrown. However, it has a very broad pressure and velocity range, especially for high velocity loads in the smaller gauges. I use it in the 28 ga. for very fast 3/4 ounce hunting loads at reasonable pressures. I weight every charge for unifomity.
b.randzin
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys the information has been very helpfull.

Bruce
mdoerner
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
IMR powders are more costly than a dollar a pound than the Alliant powders. Unless I'm mistaken, IMR powders are sold by the 1/2 pound, 5 pounds, etc. When you figure the real cost, its nearer 20% more.

Errr.....used to be. Since acquired by Hodgdon, they're in the same 1 lb plastic jars (except for PB and one other powder, those may be 12 oz jars) as the rest of the Hodgdon line. Prices seem to be in line with or a little more expensive than Clays....

Mike Doerner
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

Well, that shows how much attention I've paid them since settling in with the Alliant/Hercules line of shotgun powders years ago. I used to load a lot of the Remington IMR rifle powders, but the shotshell stuff left a lot to be desired for price and availability next to the Hercules line--especially if you bought most of your stuff in bulk from shotgun club reloading supply counters. The only IMR powder that sold well was 700X in 12 pound kegs. That way, it was more affordable. Hercules powders outsold them 10 to one easy.

It doesn't surprize me Hodgdon bought them out. Hodgdon used to specialize in reclaimed surplus military powder and surplus Olin ball powder too. I wonder if they intend to keep the line going or just sell off the existing stock until its gone. If the latter, then that is another reason to stick with my favorite. Who knows what will happen now. thanks for the heads up.
Square Load
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:14 pm  Reply with quote

Alliant is also the only powder left that's made in the good ole' USA. It may not matter to some of us, but it certainly means something to me.

Dennis
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:49 am  Reply with quote

I thought the IMR powders were made in Maryland. Has that changed too. Winchester Ball was being made in St. Marks, Fl. but I've not used any for some time.
Square Load
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:52 pm  Reply with quote

16gg,

Read recently, but don't remember where. that Alliant is the only powder left produced in the US. I don't remember anything being said about Winchester but it said that Hodgdon's powders were imported and IMR's production had recently been moved to Canada.

Dennis
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:26 am  Reply with quote

You guys give too much info I always preferred 7625 for 1 oz. low pressure target loads. But if alliant is the only domestic powder left I'll have to switch back.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

the Hercules/Aliant line of powders has a performance standard tracable clear back to the turn of the century. Canister grade Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique, etc. are exactly the same performancewise as the first lot made. Its that reliable.

The original Hodgdon 4831 stick powder was a US armory surplus powder. It was as regular and dependable as a good clock. However, its been gone for decades. Hodgdon then began contracting out to such places as Scotland and the Chechs for powder. I've seen the newer Hodgdon Powders vary from lot to lot depending on where they've been contracted to. Olin's ball powders never were all that regular. Plus, they'd change powder designations faster than some folks change their socks. I never used them much except for 571 in the 28 ga. and 296 in the .410.

I used to use IMR powders for rifle exclusively when Dupont produced them. They were as dependably regular as any made. Alliant rifle powders were too. I still have some of the Dupont IMR powders safely tucked away for my pet hunting loads in the 280, the '06, and the 7x57.

Knowing that a shell loaded with Unique will perform the same as the same load from 15 years ago is a comfort in my mind. I like them--always have.
Square Load
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

16gg,

You wouldn't by any chance be using IMR4831 in that 280 would you? Wink I've been shooting it in mine for 30 years now. Great caliber, great powder. It would be real hard for me to switch to a different powder even if is being made in Canada. Maybe RL 19?

Funny how the Canadian Government is doing all they can to infringe upon the gun rights of their citizens but they don't have any problem letting their people make gun powder to sell to us. Confused

Dennis