16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New 16 ga. owner
Jimbo
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

Hi!

I shoot clays. A friend's been talking up 16 ga for a long time. He's always said 16 ga. has a shorter shot string, and drops birds better than a 20 ga.. And he says the guns are lighter than a 12 ga. I read articles online that said the same. So two days ago, I ordered a Citori which will be shipped next week. I was pretty excited at first.

Now I'm wondering if I made a mistake. I spent so much time looking at guns online, I never gave much thought to ammunition. I'm accustomed to buying 12 and 20 ga. target shells from Walmart for $5 per box. I haven't found ANY 16 ga. shells locally. Online, loaded 16 ga. shells are $9 - 12 + per box. That's more than I want to spend on target shells.

I pick up empty 12 and 20 ga. hulls at local clubs for free and reload them, but I really didn't want to invest in another press. Not only that, but I don't have room in my small apartment for another machine. I tried to locate a Lee Loader, but apparently they aren't available anymore.

My friend has offered to reload for me, and I certainly appreciate that. But I don't want to place this burden on him forever.

I don't mind paying more for the occasional box of hunting shells. But I was hoping someone here would be able to tell me how to get reasonable priced 16 ga. target ammo.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

Hello and WELCOME on your first post

Since you are a clays shooter, you will be shooting in volumn
and will be buying by the flat most likely.

That will help, then keep an eye posted here and we will post
when we find good prices. Often around $6+ per box.

Here is an example randomly selected today

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=RORC168

Same your hulls and either have a friend load for you or get
a loader yourself, it is easy.

Where are you living?

Mike
DDawg
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome Jimbo, buying a 16 gauge is never a mistake. Granted the shells and components are hard to come by. But, the hunting for the shells can be almost exciting as hunting with the 16 gauge. Once bitten by the 16 gauge you will never go back. Good luck and good hunting! JOE
Jimbo
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement. I live in NY State.
Jimbo
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=RORC168
Mike

Thanks for the link Mike. Living in NY. Does Natchez have good shipping prices?
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

I do not know what they would charge to NY
Try ordering some online and see what they would charge

Also there may be someone in NY that might recommend a
place in your state with good prices

Also look here, Very Happy Shocked

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12237

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/corp/index.jsp?page=storeLocator&selectedIndexValue=&selectedStateIndexValue=&strLocator=&state=NY

Mike
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

First off, welcome to the site. I think you'll like it here. Now, on to the fun...

DDawg wrote:
buying a 16 gauge is never a mistake.

Quite true. Without the 16, you probably don't get this:

DDawg wrote:
Granted the shells and components are hard to come by. But, the hunting for the shells can be almost exciting as hunting with the 16 gauge. Once bitten by the 16 gauge you will never go back. Good luck and good hunting!

For what it's worth, last month Cabelas ran a special on 16 ga shells at $55/flat. Can't beat that. And, once you start rolling your own, the cost is not noticeably more than any other gauge. The components are not "hard" to come by, just "harder" than the more popular 12 and 20.

You'll like the 16 and it was not a mistake to buy one. Not by a long shot.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:27 pm  Reply with quote

Always keep an eye open for deals whether a big chain store,a ma and pa gas station or the net.Most members post good buys here and you can get a heads up.Don't forget to check out the clearance/sale sections of sites like Cabelas,Natchez,etc.Stock up when they are avaliable.16 components are out there --you just have to look for them.Also ask other shooters if they have any ammo or components---even a press they might want to part with Wink
dap
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:32 am  Reply with quote

=
As others have said, shells can be found at a reasonable price. Until just recently, I could buy Remington Game loads (RGLs) at the local Wal-mart for 5.97 a box. I'm not sure what changed there, but now they only carry Remington Express in 16 gauge.

Dick's usually runs a sale once a year with RGLs at 5.49. Cabelas just finished a sale on Estate shells for $54.95 for 10 cases, and free shipping to boot.

But if you decide you made a mistake, I'll be happy to take it off of your hands and even pay for the shipping costs to do so. Razz

Last edited by dap on Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:35 am; edited 2 times in total
gferrett
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:59 am  Reply with quote

Hi jimbo;
You will love the Browning 16 bore. The browning O/U seems to be the one that can stand up to the rigors of Argentine marathon shoots. Where they count shells by the case not the box.
On the 16 bore shells give ammoseek.com a try, they show some good prices.
Welcome and Merry Christmas
ferrett
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:37 am  Reply with quote

dap wrote:
=
As others have said, shells can be found at a reasonable price. Until just recently, I could by Remington Game loads (RGLs) at the local Wal-mart for 5.97 a box. I'm not sure what changed there, but now they only carry Remington Express in 16 gauge.

Ths difference between RGLs and Express is about $8 a box, all of which accrues to the seller and none to the buyer. If you were to break out the prices, you'd find that the extra cost of Express loads is almost all profit to the manufacturer/retailer. The incremental increase in material costs is literally pennies per shell or less.

I mean, what's an eighth or quarter of an ounce of lead per shell work out to, on the by-box basis?
BPGuy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:37 am  Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
I'm accustomed to buying 12 and 20 ga. target shells from Walmart for $5 per box. I haven't found ANY 16 ga. shells locally. Online, loaded 16 ga. shells are $9 - 12 + per box. That's more than I want to spend on target shells.

I pick up empty 12 and 20 ga. hulls at local clubs for free and reload them, but I really didn't want to invest in another press. Not only that, but I don't have room in my small apartment for another machine. I tried to locate a Lee Loader, but apparently they aren't available anymore.

My friend has offered to reload for me, and I certainly appreciate that. But I don't want to place this burden on him forever.

I don't mind paying more for the occasional box of hunting shells. But I was hoping someone here would be able to tell me how to get reasonable priced 16 ga. target ammo.

Jimbo, I hate to sound like your mother, but didn't you think about these things before you decided to buy a 16 ga? Shocked

Sorry about that! Very Happy

Anyway, as others have stated, I also get shells at Wal-Mart. I can get 1 oz #6's, which is what I use for most of my hunting, for around $6 a box. You can also get 7 1/2s or 8's at the same price. It's $1 a box more than 12's or 20's, but I can live with that. Again, as mentioned, these are Remington Game Loads. The 1 1/8 oz "High Brass" loads are quite a bit more, around $10 or $11, but I don't shoot a lot of them.

I've seen the RGL's at Dick's Sporting Goods at the same price (or even better) when on sale. Watch the sale fliers!
WHEAT
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:53 pm  Reply with quote

You might want to check out Sportmans Guide. The have good deals. Sometimes they will offer free shipping or $10 off on an order over $100. If you join the Buyer Club you can also get 10% off. If you watch for sales sometimes you can get a really good deal. Cool RB

deer hunter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:54 pm  Reply with quote

Jimbo , in the Rochester area , Beikirch's Amm corp has been our guys for 50 yrs . A major northeast dist . In East Roch . just off the ex-way.

Jimbo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. No 16 ga. shells at the local walmart, but I have a guy who says he can get them from Biekirchs.

Jim C.