16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Pointing Dog Journal cover
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:15 pm  Reply with quote

Anybody know what that...uh...dog is on the cover of the new PDJ?? Looks like the mating of a porcupine and a coyote (talk about un-safe sex Shocked)
Cover says it's called a 'Drahthaar' which is Lithuanian for 'darn dog's chasing rabbits and haven't see it for an hour'
Apparently good for Merkel owners who miss all their shots then send the dog off to 'hunt dead'
Any help there TJC Question
hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

This tripe about merkels & ugly dogs coming from cat-dog man????
tjwalker
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

I have had the good fortune to hunt over two Drathaars. Both have been excellent gun dogs. One belongs to a judge who owns some very prime South Texas acreage. Even if I thought his dog was the ugliest in the world, I would never mention it. Rev, not all of us are fortunate enough to own setters, ( or big ranches ) but I never hold that against anyone. Laughing
hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:45 pm  Reply with quote

Tjc, I SWEAR, I never said what Tjwalker wouldn't mention, out loud........Not that I haven't thought it to myself............
tjwalker
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

TJC, take no offense, but the "cover dog" on the latest UglyDog sporting catalog is also a Drathaar. Their motto is " If you want birds, hunt with an ugly dog." Or some of the cats that are mentioned in this thread.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

Was that the FRONT of the dog??? I thought it was the behind Laughing
TJC
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

That is one beautiful looking pheasant finding machine. Very Happy Some of you smart arsses wouldn't know a good dog if he bit you on your arss. Just like you wouldn't know a good gun if one was smacked over your heads. Razz

The Girls (2 Drahthaars) and my Merkel made sure my freezer was full of pheasant breasts this year. Very Happy

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

TJC please take no offense but those birds the "Girls" produced for you were they the east coast pansey assed liberated birds stocked by some states and shooting preserves? Or were they the wild ass Kansas or Plains State bird that won't hold for a point, run till your dog falls over from heat exhaustion, mean spirited, fly away with an ounce and a quarter of lead in his back side, wild flushing kind that only a very savvy hunter shooting a fine old long barreled Fox Sterlingworth (The Finest Gun in the World by the way) could ever hope to bring to the table?
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

Well TB enters the fray and speaks quite well for himself BUT ol' ugly dog guy TJC will be bringing his pups out to Montezuma so I guess we'll find out Laughing
TJC
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

Birds can't run long or far enough to put The Girls down. They don't know the meaning of quitting or getting tired. But then again, no Drahthaar would or does. Very Happy
Best bird dog going, upland birds, water birds it doesn't matter. Oh, then you want to go rabbit hunting in the afternoon, the Drahthaar can handle that. What's that you say, need help with a blood track on a deer? They can handle that and then go back out and POINT a pheasant, grouse, woodcock what ever.

Sorry, those lazy multi colored, fat useless Labs are lucky if they can find one game animal. Very Happy Very Happy Wink

hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:54 am  Reply with quote

think I'm going to vomit, at all the crap cat/dog man has started on this thread.
Twice, most of the birds we shoot(tjc and I , well ok just tjc, cause he's a bird hog) are far from sissy birds. While I'll admit, much of our pheasent shooting is limited to stocked , or preserve birds, our "secret" spot, gives as much , possibly more challenge as anything we'll see out west(course I'm probably full of crap, as I haven't shot birds out west) Our "spot" is a pay to shoot , but thats the breaks for this area. 4500 acres, of varied treain, hills/valleys, swamps, streams. As many birds as you want to shoot(or in your case, till the hinge pin on your tire iron wears out again(whats that5-6 shots), which is why Tjc and I shoot quality german, last forever, merkels, which we all know are pheasent killin laser beams) I don't want to quote numbers on line, so as not to be labeled a game hog, but if your intrested, pm me. Also, we shoot birds till about easter, Sooooooo I'm giving you a invite to come out this winter (we start at out "spot" in Dec/Jan, normally) and see what we got.

Tjc, did I mention I was going to vomit???? rabbits/deer, ???? how about beat up all the other dogs cause I'm a cranky bitch, and pms-ing???
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:16 am  Reply with quote

Now TJC, most of the labs I've hunted with were pretty good at finding a 'game animal'...as in gamey...as in a long dead and stinkin' unidentifiable carcass...usually puked up in Kathi's bed hours after the hunt. Shocked You think Thudddd is so crabby cause Kathi moved him and Beau into the garage Laughing or maybe CSMC added alittle 'pain in the behind' surcharge to his new/old deposit Question
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:26 am  Reply with quote

Hun I guess we live in two seperate worlds with different sets of values. For me it not about the numbers of birds shot it is about the fair chase aspect and the quality of the hunt which a domesticated bird just can't duplicate.

You will get an appreciation for that when you get out here this fall.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:39 am  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel wrote:
TJC please take no offense but those birds the "Girls" produced for you were they the east coast pansey assed liberated birds stocked by some states and shooting preserves? Or were they the wild ass Kansas or Plains State bird that won't hold for a point, run till your dog falls over from heat exhaustion, mean spirited, fly away with an ounce and a quarter of lead in his back side, wild flushing kind that only a very savvy hunter shooting a fine old long barreled Fox Sterlingworth (The Finest Gun in the World by the way) could ever hope to bring to the table?

Testify!! Shocked

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:44 am  Reply with quote

I've been hunting for 40 years and I've owned a lot of swell Labs that did everything I asked of them; but 12 years ago when I gave up waterfowl and decided to concentrate on upland hunting, I purchased a pair of Wirehairs.As much as I dearly loved every Lab I owned, NOTHING gets my heart to racing like the site of a white dog standing still.Before any of you jokesters say something wise about standing still, that refers to a high energy Wirehair going from lightspeed to a solid, locked up point in a nano-second. It's 6 1/2lb Parkers and Wirehairs for me as long as my legs will still let me follow a good bird dog. Nasty pm sent to Drew.