16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Do you still have the passion for shooting birds?
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:07 am  Reply with quote

The just having fun thread re: the Drahthaars on the cover of PDJ wandered onto the issue of shooting pen raised vs wild birds vs clay targets and Old 16 touched on something discussed on another forum:

http://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/viewtopic.php?t=28679

The topic didn't really go anywhere on SS BB other than the usual 'if it flys it dies' BS-maybe a little too 'sensitive' for those fellas.
Woodcock and I have also discussed my fading desire to murder birds and he suggested I just start taking anabolic steroids Confused My buddy Fin was alittle more understanding Very Happy
Y'all seem more honest and willing to speak your heart over here so what say you?

Last edited by revdocdrew on Fri May 12, 2006 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:52 am  Reply with quote

Well, as you guys know. I shoot mostly old Damascus SxS's.
I love to shoot them period. I try to shoot at least two times a week. And I dream of fall and bird season. I surely don't have the "if it flys it dies" attitude. I love being in the woods. I love watching my setter work. And I love hunting with 100 year old shotguns. I enjoy the company of my wife, son, or friend should they wish to go hunting with me. If not, I'm just as happy to go by myself. Which I do allot of the time. I enjoy shooting clay targets and I enjoy bring young people into the sport. I can't say that I could go the rest of my life without killing another bird. But if I come home empty handed after a hunting trip, I still consider it a success. Each person has their own reason for hunting, and what they consider a successful hunt.
I'm just happy to be out there, because I know the day will come when I can't. And that my friends, will be a very sad time in my life.
Did I stay on topic ?

Last edited by Dave Miles on Fri May 12, 2006 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:23 am  Reply with quote

Long winded reply to follow, but I have to go work part of my, thisweek, 75 hour seek.
tim

If it fly's it dies, as if........... well maybe if you'd break down and buy a merk, cause we all know their pheasent killin laser beams.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:38 am  Reply with quote

Well said Dave. I took the liberty of adding something I wrote a few years ago.

Shooting Sportsman Nov/Dec 99' Letters

I felt compelled to respond to Michael McIntosh's Shooting column in
September/October. Forgive my bona fides here, but there is a point. I've
been shooting clay targets every week and hunting hard for about 15
years-usually taking three out-of-state bird hunting trips and hunting two
or three times per week during the season. I'm blessed to live in a state
with outstanding bird hunting and have experienced South Texas quail during a good year and have seen 200 pheasants get up out of a field of CRP in South Dakota. I have three good English setters that hunt and a deaf one that the breeder really didn't want to put down. My license plate reads '4RBRDOG" and our RV is used mostly for bird hunting. I give to QU, PF, DU, IWLA, and the NRA.

My point? I couldn't possibly shoot another woodcock and have not killed a
wild quail in three years. I did carry a gun after pheasants this past year
but may not this year. Because I teach at a medical school in Kansas City, I
usually take med students or friends to do the mostly missing and have
observed that, despite a herniated disc and a torn meniscus, it's easy to
outwalk the students when not carrying a seven pound gun! I really do "just
like to be outside and watch the dogs work" and don't think my joy is less
real or my experience less honest because I don't do the killing. One day I
just decided I'd killed all the quail I needed to kill-but that's for me and
not Michael. Gene Hill wrote "when a man goes hunting, what he hunts for is himself," and I'm at peace with what I've found.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

In jest, please read my reply.......
You already making xcuses for the worlingworths loss at the ks thing?
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:36 pm  Reply with quote

A nice shotgun (a Beretta SxS) a forgiving dog ( a lab of course) and fields to walk and birds to chase is all I ask of the years ahead. The grouse and pheasant still taste good and I enjoy the chase as my lab does, but I find the tools of the hunt are as much fun as the hunt. I can only hunt five months of the year for birds so the other seven months are spent polishing the shotguns, shooting clays and planning the next shotgun acquisition. Then I start over again. Life is good!
Ron
TJC
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:07 pm  Reply with quote

I love watching my dogs work. It is more fun when I have a friend with me, Huns, my brother, a nephew etc. But I don't stay home because no one else can go. This past Nov and Dec I bird hunted every day from Nov 11 through Dec 31. I only missed 3-4 days during our deer season.
I enjoy the walks even if I return empty handed, which thanks to the Drahthaars doesn't happen often.

But, I will admit the taking of a flushing bird still gives me one hell of a rush. I don't have to kill to be happy but the killing of the game is part of the equation. It is the sum of all the work from the dogs, purchase of a nice gun (Merkel of course), training etc. Sorry, but I don't buy that anyone would be happy going hunting all the time and not taking what ever you are seeking in the field. If that is the case, you might as well take a walk in the woods without lugging the gear.
Part of why I don't deer hunt as much as I used to is I just don't get the same feeling as I once did when I take a deer. Sure, I still get excited at out smarting a whitetail but it just isn't the same as it used to be.
Now a flushing bird that has been found by the dog and tracked, pointed and flushed, now that still gets me.

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

TJC said :
Part of why I don't deer hunt as much as I used to is I just don't get the same feeling as I once did when I take a deer. Sure, I still get excited at out smarting a whitetail but it just isn't the same as it used to be.
Now a flushing bird that has been found by the dog and tracked, pointed and flushed, now that still gets me.

I agree with you 100% on this. The only reason I still deer hunt, is because my 16 year old son loves it. And I love spending time with him, and our two hunting buddies.
tjwalker
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

Rev, do you really mean it? You've killed your last wild quail? Shocked I have a similar feeling about killing whitetail; I have three blood thirsty sons and a daughter-in-law that love to hunt deer. They keep us all supplied in venison, but I would certainly shoot another deer. I get more enjoyment out of being in the woods and sharing the outdoors with friends, than I do in the harvesting of game, but when the bird dog goes on point, it's time to do my job, and wingshooting is one of the things I live for. I guess I shouldn't invite you to South Texas to shoot birds if you've given up on wild quail, but I usually keep some pen-raised quail and pheasants to work the dogs. Laughing Shouldn't be too difficult for a Sterlingworth and setter man!
hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:45 pm  Reply with quote

Tjwalker, not more than 5-6 of those pen birds, the hing pin on the worling will be wore out, again
tjwalker
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

Huns, not that Drew would accept an invitation if one was given, what with us Texans being a little difficult for him to get used to... I do believe the topic was a waning desire to feel like you have to bag your limit, not limit your bag. I admire people who practice temperance in some areas. I can be happy in leaving a few for next time, or next year. There are some species of game I have no interest in pursuing, but quail ain't one of 'em!
3DocPop
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

tjwalker wrote:
I do believe the topic was a waning desire to feel like you have to bag your limit, not limit your bag. I admire people who practice temperance in some areas.

It has been years since I last saw a wild pheasant, too many houses, too little habitat. That said, when a bird gets up I do still enjoy pulling the trigger, but I take very seriously the fact that I just killed a living animal.

I do not have to come home with a limit, or even a bird, to feel it has been a good day. The time spent in the field with my son, and watching the Springer I used to have, can be reward enough. I tried to raise my son to make an honest effort to harvest game, but not allow the kill to be the arbiter of success. As many have said already, it is the hunt!

3DocPop
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

Parker Trojan please help me with this.

A wise man once wrote that a hunter/Sportsman travels through phases as he persues his sport.

Phase I begins when a youngster is given a gun, taught the elements of safe gun handling and ethics of the sport. They are caught up in awe and thrilled to be part of the experience of the great outdoors and the excitement of making game.

Phase II begins when the hunter has mastered the skills of the hunt and success is measured by the taking of game. Anything less than a full limit is less than complete success.

Phase III is the technical phase where the hunter must have all of the accrutments and vestages of the hunt this includes having the finest guns and best trained bird dog. Only when he has these is the hunt a success.

In Phase IV the hunter has come full circle and he is again thrilled just to be part of the experience of the great outdoors.

I would imagine that all of the members of this board reside somewhere between Phase III and IV.
old16
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

Fellows I guess you might say I'm at or close to phase IV. I have 5 Grandsons from 20yrs to 3yrs. One of the best things in life is when one of your Grandsons or Granddaughters if the case maybe, is to have him pull up in his car and say GRANDPA LETS GO HUNTIN.

TJC
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

old16,
Good for you. While my children are 26 and 24, I don't have grandchildren yet. Can't even get either of them married off. LOL
That said, there is no doubt I'm between phase III and IV, but with a bit of II at times. Very Happy
I do so love the flush of a bird, crack of the shotgun and the retrieve to hand. Smile I can't wait until October.