16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Do you still have the passion for shooting birds?
MGF
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:59 pm  Reply with quote

I don't have to have killed to have a good day. If I've been safe, treated well the people I've met, been good to my parnters (2- and 4-legged) and generally tried to be a gentleman, I can sleep well.

That said, I like to have shot well. I also am pleased when I "don't shoot" well, such as when the passed up shot is one that would have turned my bore toward a partner, been at a low bird or been at one clearly outside my ability to put it down. I think whoever wrote that you'll never regret not taking a questionable shot was right on the money.

I'm 42 and don't know if I'm exactly in "Phase IV" yet. I do like nice gear. Still, I've learned when it comes to actually getting out and chasing 'em, less & simple beats more & complicated. The best stuff is the stuff you don't have to think about once the walking starts.

I know I still ove the whole gig ... from making the coffee and getting dressed to the dog falling asleep curled up next to you after dinner. For me, there's no feeling quite like closing the gun on two shells for the first time in a season. I also know, for me, there's still a predatory bent to the whole thing, but I like to think it's more about having done it right than getting a full game bag.

None of which is to say I've always gotten it right. What's the old bird hunter's prayer? Something like, "Lord, let me be half the man my dog thinks I am."

And I do understand the one about the dying bird hunter who apologizes to his wife and kids about all the time missed, but smiles softly as he says, "On the other hand, I have shot a hell of a lot of birds."
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:55 am  Reply with quote

A crisp autumn day, a good dog working ahead of you, the cackle of a rooster, the crack of the gun, the smell of powder, feathers filtering down on a gentle breeze. And, for me, for a few seconds, time stops.

I offset any feelings of guilt during the summer when, while fishing a high mountain stream with a fine vintage cane rod, I'll release a wild, native cutthroat back into the stream.

Matt