16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Stocks from blanks?
pepperdawg
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:05 am  Reply with quote

Looking at various blanks on line - seriously considering dressing up my hardware/furniture....who here in the society has done this?

Once I pick out and purchase a blank:

Any recommendations (smith) on who to turn/finish/installl stock/foearm on my gun(s)?
Any rough ball park on costss (e.g - $200 or $2000)?
Any "gotchas" or "lessons learned" to watch out for?

Man there are some beautfiul blanks out there...

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:22 am  Reply with quote

The blanks I've seen range from $200 to you got to be kidding.There is a dealer at Sparta but can't remember his name Embarassed I guess a computer search might be the quickest way to find out-Not much help but better than nothing I guess.
bigboyd4466
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

Don't know if this would be the kind of thing you're looking for , but Macon Gunstocks has blanks and can fit and finish for your gun https://www.macongunstocks.com/

Ruff Hunter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

Once you get the wood all settled, I suggest having New England Custom Gun in NH fit and finish it for you. Comparably pricey, but the work is timely and impeccable.

16Ga BRNO
20Ga LC Smith
20Ga Miroku x2 (Model F & Model 500)
28Ga AYA 4/53 (bucket list item #6)
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

Or go this way Smile

http://www.marklarsongunart.com/#!grain-enhancement-portfolio

The # sign blocks total link,
You can click on this above and get the home page
or cut an past to see the grain enhancement possibilities

Mike

Lon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:39 pm  Reply with quote

I found a high quality factory replacement stock/forearm for one 16 gauge Citori.

On another one, I had Mark Larson do his grain enhancement magic. I like them both.

I had both of them custom fitted to shoot where I'm looking. Admittedly, they're not as nice as a truly custom job but I'm pleased with the end results and it was within my budget!

[URL=http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/Lon623/media/29500-0303_zps8089adc7.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/Lon623/media/29500-0305_zps361949c7.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/Lon623/media/29029-0428_zps16da0ea1.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/Lon623/media/29029-0429_zps615f832a.jpg.html] [/URL]

Last edited by Lon on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

www.lonlauber.com
mike campbell
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
byrdog
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

I have a ton of Wild Black Walnut for blanks the most I charge is $100.00 even for a well figured cut. I send the blank to Macon Gun Stocks for machine In-letting when I make a stock. If you are interested PM me

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
pepperdawg
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:17 am  Reply with quote

Happy Monday -

All – Great stuff/Resources –– this is the type of info I was hoping for - keep it coming please- Thanks everyone in advance!

Lon/Mike C – Thanks for sharing pics – Beautiful!!!!!!!!

Mike C – many points in your post to think about....

Byrdog – PM on the way.

-C

DES/TSD
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:16 am  Reply with quote

As a professional stockmaker, let me say the advise about Donnie Gemes is correct. Having known Donnie( personally and professionally) for the past 17 years, I can agree he/his shop does good work. Check out www.acgg.org as well for a stockmaker near your location.
We all wish to have the nicest stuff at the lowest price possible. Only you are able to determine where to draw that line. If I can advise you please don't hesitate to ask.

JNW
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:37 am  Reply with quote

Pepperdog,
I have multiple custom stocked guns. I have bought wood from stock makers, but mostly I have bought the wood separately. You almost always get more wood for the money if you buy it separately. You can spend a little to a lot. I have had Economy Gunsmithing in Pennsylvania stock a gun for me (an L.C. Smith) and they did a great job. They have also done several Berettas for friends of mine. Donnie in MO is also great. Wenig's in MO has a fabulous program where you can go there and they will make a pattern stock for your gun in the morning - it is a shooting fit. You pick out your wood or bring one of your own. While you have lunch they copy your stock from the pattern they made and in the early afternoon you are shooting your new stock on your gun! The guys in the Custom Gunmaker's Guild do great work, but they almost all start at $3000 just for labor. I have never spent even close to that much. I have done everything from me doing most of the labor (except checkering) to having it all done for me. Figure out how much you want to spend and go from there. By having several different craftsman do different work I have spent as little as $1200 on a custom stock.
Here is my Fox AE for $1200
[URL=http://s407.photobucket.com/user/JNW_01vet/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-01/6B0C7B8D-6276-4F0C-AE69-5AE0C64FFAEF.jpg.html] [/URL][/img]
Here is a Beretta on which I did almost everything except the checkering and final inletting. This is where I learned I don't inlet.
[URL=http://s407.photobucket.com/user/JNW_01vet/media/null_zps813cf6d5.jpg.html] [/URL]
Here's the L.C. from Economy Gunsmithing. A local stock maker finished and checkered it.
[URL=http://s407.photobucket.com/user/JNW_01vet/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2013-12/2A30432D-AD0F-41EF-82F1-98D1638D1EAC.jpg.html] [/URL]
The most important thing to remember is that this is going to take a long time! Usually much longer than you want. Wenig's has some of the fastest turn around - just a couple months. You can also just send them your gun, your dimensions and they will make you a stock. Many one man shops will take years to restock your gun - depends on the shop. Custom Stocks and Steel in Pennsylvania also does great work.
Do you know your dimensions? Several world class gun fitters near to where you live.
Regards,
Jeff