16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  purple Feds
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

I bought 4 cases of federal 1oz #8 new production. Shot the first 4 box's last night. The crimps on 15 of each 25 were completly gone after firing. They did not seem to recoil any differently and they broke targets. I was dissapointed since I bought them to reload. The entire crimp end was gone or half of it was gone. Temps were high 20's nothing extreme.
Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:35 pm  Reply with quote

Wasn't there a thread somewhere else on this issue with Feds recently? Was it you?
Gil
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

Not me but would be intrested in hearing what other folks did or what they found out.
Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

Here 'tis:
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12288&highlight=headspace
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

I've been using current production Feds at same temps and colder with no problems.Not sure if they put a lot # on the box---have to take a look.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

I shot them out of 2 different guns last night and more than half lost from the fold front. I looks like there were skived to much or had to much heat to seal the crimps. They are very brittle at the top edge of the fold or thin. I am sure it's a manufacturing issue.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

Did you happen to find any pieces of the missing parts?
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

I shot a flat of the Federals this summer, never had a problem and I used them in an 1100 and an 870.

I have had a number of Federal 16 Gauge hulls tear away like that at the crimp after 2 or 3 firings however. The load and velocity never seems to matter. That has been going on for years, nothing that just started.

RLR390
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

I would send a bunch of them into Federal w/ a letter explaining the situation and your disappointment in their hulls. I did that w/ a bunch of AA's a number of yrs ago and Winchester sent me a check to go buy some more ammo. If I recall it was $40 they sent me which was about 8 boxes of shells at the time.
UGGY
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:14 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't had the crimp problem you are describing, but I have split a few hulls. Last winter I decided to store a box of Kent Cheddites outside so I could sneak in a quick round of clays after work. I soon discovered that hulls stored in cold weather tend to split; Surprised some of them right to the brass. Can't remember how cold it was, but there was snow on the ground. Your federals weren't stored in sub freezing temperatures by any chance were they?

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:29 am  Reply with quote

No they were indoors. I have not bought loaded ammo in a long time I had an endless supply of hulls from TJC until he moved to NH and retired. So I just find it funny the first time I buy amo to get hulls they are junk. It is the ammo gods getting back at me for rolling my own.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:29 pm  Reply with quote

My best advice is to contact Federal directly. Include the lot number (s) off the ammo boxes. They might be willing to send or email you a prepaid shipping label for the empties and the rest of the unfired shells. Of course, they should also be willing to replace the shells with new ones plus some extras for your troubles. Good luck.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:11 pm  Reply with quote

I had some factory 270 Win cartridges about 20 years ago- at the time they were about 20 years old. I fired one and it had high pressure indicators. I measured the case length and it was several .001"s over the max length. I sent the case and a few unfireds back to Winchester asking that they check the problem. I got a coupon for a new box of cartridges, but also a very abusive letter saying among other things I should never fire cartridges that were that old yada yada. Coincidental to that, I've made every effort to purchase only components so I can check every part of a cartridge- metalic or shotshell & they can keep their coupons.
scraggley
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

On page 56 of Ballistc Products " Advantages 5th. edition" reference is made to a shotshell loading condition where an overly deep crimp can alter load pressures and may ruin the shotcup by reaching over the petals and hooking the top of the wad. If the wad is hooked under the outer edge of the crimp , the path of least resistance may result in the wad pulling the hull apart. Could this be the problem with some of these shotshells? Maybe a carefull dissection of some of these suspect shotshells would be enlightining .

bauerp
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

Are you sure you have a 2 3/4 chamber - no offense if so.