16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Ugly dogs heck, what about ugly guns?

Opinion on the Ugly Gun picture
I agree with Fin: BOGUS!
78%
 78%  [ 11 ]
Hey! That's MY gun! You got a problem with that?
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 14

fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:46 am  Reply with quote

In the May/June issue of Shooting Sportsman there's a nice photo essay on woodcock hunting. On the first page, a hunter is carrying a sxs; the stock is very worn, the buttplate is broken (which really doesn't matter, since it's too small for the stock anyway) and the wrist is reinforced with duct tape. Now, if this was an old west-Kansas meat hunter I might buy it, but I say that folks who get pictured in mags like SSM don't shoot guns that look like that. Maybe this is an attempt to show that they're all really just good old boys at heart? What say you?

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:20 am  Reply with quote

It's probably the guys favorite bird gun, that has been through the mill, so to speak. It has become a Clunker, held together with duct tape and bailing wire. Why spend 3K to restore it, when it works fine the way it is. Very Happy
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:30 am  Reply with quote

Often as not, if I go afield with a half decent gun, I get buttonholed by a yahoo with some off brand junker and a story about why a nice gun is not needed to shoot game. I've been accosted with a bunch of stories about some local guy with a taped up "Ivy Johnson" or Sears Robuck single or double who could kill a bird flying at 60 yards everytime.

Frankly. these guys, if they exist at all, usually ground sluice everything they kill and need the dog to find it because they are too cheap to buy glasses so they can see straight. They hunt solo and refuse to hunt with anyone, but they'll walk out with a full game bag--at least twice a day Rolling Eyes . Their reputation as a sure shot is built on volume, BS and otherwise. Laughing
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:41 am  Reply with quote

What about this Klunker, the guy thinks it's worth 5K.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:28 am  Reply with quote

ask him what he's been smoking or if its time to have his medication adjusted. Laughing

PS: Love that custom grip. Laughing
GA_Longhorn
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:19 am  Reply with quote

For a clean little one-owner Parker with a few gentle handling marks.....it looks remarkably like a couple of mine. Embarassed

Regards,
Charles

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:47 am  Reply with quote

The guy that has this gun for sale on Gunbroker, goes by the name of Mufflerman. Can you tell by the wrist repair? Laughing
hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:32 am  Reply with quote

Looks like one of those pristine worlly's I keep hearing all about
tjwalker
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

I've not run across anyone hunting with "ugly guns", but I sure have seen some for sale that looked like someone had been using them for a fence post. Recently, I ran across someone that had a high-grade LC Smith for sale. He was asking a price that the gun may have brought, if in excellent condition. It was as rusty as an old horse shoe, cracked wrist, dents and dings all over. The bores would make you cry! He was offended by my offer, ( which was not a monetary one ) and told me he had killed hundreds of quail just last season with it. I would not have fired it unless my life depended on it, and told him it would take more money than it was worth to bring it back into any condition. I then told him if he was the one to let it fall into this ruin, he should be horse-whipped. Evil or Very Mad No firearm I own is an expensive one, at least not when I purchased or inherited it, but I sure am an old-maid when it comes to taking care of them. If it needs fixing, I have it fixed. If you are a poor meat hunter, and can't afford to repair or have a good gun, then I apologize. But you still don't have cause to ground shoot or limb game birds, which would be the only way this seller could have killed anything close to a limit.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:25 pm  Reply with quote

OK, Dave M., you hijacked my thread here! Very Happy No offense, and thanks for showing us that lovely example of Parker's gunmaking skill (actually the gun was probably fine...once) and introducing us to the owner (Mufflerman, was it?) who's obviously having a flashback that even I wouldn't own up to! Shocked

Put to put things back on point: who thinks a guy who get his picture in SSM carries a gun that looks like the one in the photo?!?

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

If that shot wasn't set up, there is a reason a guy chooses to carry a gun that beat up (like what is the point of not replacing the butt plate Confused) Maybe it's his dad's gun?
More likely some strange false pride in the appearance of frugality. Knew a doc once that drove a chevy nova to the hospital doctor's parking lot but had a Mercedes at his second home in Palm Springs. Leader in his church but I witnessed him lying to patients. Committed suicide when he flew his plane into the ground while flying back from CA one night. His wife was with him. Tough on the soul living a lie.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

All that over a Nova? I drove a Ford Pinto for a time and don't admit it to just anyone, but I wouldn't kill myself over it Confused !

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:17 am  Reply with quote

fin2feather, didn't mean to hijack your post. I answered your original question. Then just thought I'd post an example of the kind of gun you were talking about.
I did kinda take offence to 16gg, generalization about people who may hunt with Ole' Klunkers.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:54 am  Reply with quote

My post was not about folks with old clunkers but folks with old clunkers in disrepair and a resentful attitude towards folks who don't. Even old clunkers can be cleaned up and any needed repairs can be decently done. Its called taking responsibility.

I've hunted with my share of clunkers, but everyone was brought back to an acceptable state of repair and appearance. I bought it in disrepair but took responsibility and brought it back to decent condition--not perfect, just repectfully decent. If it was beyond the point of decent repair, I left it lay.

Most folks who would let their guns go to hell or won't take responsibility for the gun they buy and tote usually aren't fit to hunt with either. God forbid they should own a hunting dog and treat it the same way, althought I've seen that too and wanted to stomp the sorry sob's butt.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:12 am  Reply with quote

Dave, I was just kiddin' about the hijack. The post/poll was all in fun; didn't mean to create any controversy! I just thought it was kinda funny to see a pic of a gun like that in an "upscale" magazine. Some people think my Stevens 5100 is an ol' clunker, but it has killed a lot of birds! At least the buttplate fits the gun though Very Happy !

Fin