16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Ugly dogs heck, what about ugly guns?

Opinion on the Ugly Gun picture
I agree with Fin: BOGUS!
78%
 78%  [ 11 ]
Hey! That's MY gun! You got a problem with that?
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 14

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:26 am  Reply with quote

I honestly didn't pay any attention to the picture. I'll have to look at it tonight. You didn't create any controversy. Laughing
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:53 am  Reply with quote

It was funny. Even funnier was the 5k asking price. My quip about yahoos with junkers (not inexpensive guns) getting into someone's face with a pointed story to denegrate folks who they consider to be hunting with "too much gun" for field work was meant as humor too. Its happened to me and several folks I know. We always get a laugh out of the irony. We just smile at the fellow and move on. Getting offended is what he wants us to do. When it doesn't happen, that guy usually walks back to the folks he's with talking to himself about gun snobs and fancy Dans. it just adds to my amusement.

I hunt with an old AyA Matador that some folks would consider a junker, because that model does not have a very good reputation. Mine is one of the good ones I guess. Its in good repair, its clean, reliable, and shoots well. However, the stock finish is worn through in places and has had some tung oil rubbed in to protect the wood. It is not a Merkel or a Fox but it does the job as well as any.

The 1969 Model 37 I bought recently was neglected to the point that it had white paint splashed on it. However, it cleaned up well and was found to be in excellent mechanical condition once all the dried up grease and gunk was cleaned out. I got it at a low price. I suppose some folks would call it a clunker, because it has a generous assortment of nicks and such. But it shows no rust, the paint is gone, the finish has been polished up. Any bared steel prown to rust has had a bit of Brownell's Phospho Blue rubbed on to a patina, and has been oiled. It now looks like a 37 year old gun somebody has used but takes reasonable care of.

Sometimes things get read into statements that ain't there. I wasn't joking about mistreated, neglected guns and dogs though. Sadly, the two go hand in hand too often for me.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:55 am  Reply with quote

Beau, the super lab, deserives to be mistreated and abused, as the cat still lives. Stupid dog still can't get the job done
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:40 am  Reply with quote

I thought you were training the cat to find and point birds? The dog is a retriever. Tie a dead mallard to the cat and see what happens.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

ohhhhhhhhhhh. And I thought it was beau that was retarded. Stopin by the river to get on of the dead ones floating, from all the rain. Thanks
TJC
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

Beau the Puper Slab, I mean super lab, needs to take lessons from Reba. She'll show him how to give the cat a "quick shake". Very Happy Wink

MGF
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

16gg, I know where you're coming from. I think people who denigrate a nice gun are just being reverse snobs, perhaps prompted by jealousy. I hunt with nice guns because I can and because it adds to my pleasure.

I don't doubt I could put down birds with a Stevens 311 or an 870 (once I got used to working the slide again), but I go the route I go -- O/Us, 28 inch tubes, around 6.5 lbs -- because it's what I dig the most. It's not a reflection on anyone else's choice, they just happen to be the guns that float my boat.

I'd never denigrate another hunter's gun ... but I will quietly move far away from a mean-spirited blowhard of any economic standing, a hunter who isn't safe, one who is cruel to his dogs, or one who doesn't take care to be encouraging to young hunters.

There are just too few days afield to spend much time around that kind of nonsense.
brdhnt
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

OK, let's talk about realities.

How about ugly hunting partners? Do you really want to be seen in public with them (or them with you?)

????????????????????????

TB
________
My Webcams Hookup

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

Looking forward to sharing in Montezuma the story of my high class doc friend standing in line in an 'up-scale' grocery store in his skunk squirt stinkin' clothes holding 10 boxes of Massengil disposable baking soda douche. 'Uh...they're not for me...they're for my dog...really...' Embarassed
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:03 am  Reply with quote

It sounds like perhaps for the both of them. It happened to me and the Heidi dog a few times. In those cases, we both ended up in the shower with tomato juice, lemon juice, vineger, and then the baking soda, followed by a good dose of baby shampoo well worked in to a lather.

I suppose if someone had shown up then, I'd have simply said that my dog and I were sharing a bath and a cocktail or two...or three!! But really, why even bother explaining. Only a fellow hunting dog fan would not bat an eye. The rest of the folks don't count. Besides that, we are the ones who are armed if things get ugly. Laughing

As for handsome or ugly, I don't really care what folks think. I'm on the safe side of my mug-- I'm looking out!
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:18 am  Reply with quote

I've got some duck and geese hunting buddies who take their Benelli SBEs in the shower with them too-what more could a guy ask for; hot water, wet dog, clean gun, and a cold one Laughing
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

And speaking of UGLY-word is ol' Thudddd is going to show up this weekend wearing LEDERHOSEN Shocked Somebody post pics Very Happy
hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

See previous post on a different thread.........
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

Those guns make my tired old Stevens Fox BSE look like a Purdy. You should shoot what fits you well; better to shoot with accuracy than to look pretty. I do my best shooting with my poorest[cosmetic] condition Parker.I think the photo in Shooting Sportsman is genuine; he's also sporting a patch on his vest. I'll pay the postage if he wants to send me that gun as a present. Rolling Eyes
TJC
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

Hey huns, I didn't see any Ugly hunting partners when we hunted together, did you? Wink

As far as ugly guns, they be like women. There ain't no ugly ones, God just made some better than others. Very Happy