16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Need 16 ga. Browning
USAFA 71
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:13 pm  Reply with quote

I have finally come to the realization that I just have to have one of the soon-to-be manufactured(hopefully late this year) Browning Classic Lightnings in 16 ga/28" barrels. I am starting to put money away, but I was wondering where to get the gun.

Checking the Bill Hanus web site, I can reserve one with a $500 deposit, which I am willing to do if it will get me the gun I want.

Does anyone know of another source for these guns, since according to the web site they will not be available through the normal distribution system? Is $1756 too much? Do you think it will be available for a lower price?

Any comments, especially from those who already have the Browning in 16 ga, are appreciated!
texasbilly
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

I own a Browning Citori Lightning 16 gauge w/28" barrels. I use Briley extended screw-in chokes for the convenience and versatility. The shotgun is one of my favorites as it swings well, is perfectly balanced, and shoots where I point it. I use it almost exclusively on the sporting clays field.

I highly recommend the shotgun. Anyone who is looking for a shotgun that is as good looking as it is functional, would do well to consider the 16 gauge Browning Citori Lightning.

Grousen
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:52 am  Reply with quote

Carolina Sporting Arms says they still have some in stock. Their web address is: www.csaguns.com. Hope this helps.

By the way, I have a Browning Lightning Feather 16 ga with 28" barrels, and it is the best upland gun I have ever had. It weighs 6.0 pounds on a digital scale, carries like a feather and drops birds like rocks. Good luck on your search.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:31 am  Reply with quote

Mine is a 16 ga. Grade I in 26", breaks the skeet targets really well and downs roosters as well as the 1620. I love the versatility with the choke tubes ! One of the best O/U buys around....

budrichard
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:52 am  Reply with quote

WAIT! After the guns come in, there are ALWAYS guns that don't sell and then these are sold at a discount. What the dealers want you to think is that you won't get one and therefore you should put your money up front for list price. These ARE NOT rare collector guns but new and easy to obtain. WAIT until they are being discounted. I may pick up a Superlight Feather if the price is right. -Dick
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:21 am  Reply with quote

If you arwe going to buy from B. Hanus, you can bet the farm you will get a better deal almost anywhere else. He has the highest markups.

I suggest contacting Bill Hicks, Inc directly. They have a list of stocking dealers they sell to. They might be able to find a couple or more in your area. You willl also be able to get an idea of how many of these guns are already committed and where.
justchris
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:16 am  Reply with quote

I have a Citori in 16ga. and it is my favorite shotgun.

Reeds Sporting Goods still have a few left.

http://www.reedssports.com/main.taf?cat=1712
Scolari
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:39 am  Reply with quote

I bought a Browning Citori Lightning a few years ago. I ordered it through a club I belong to from Bill Hicks. Hicks's only sells to FFL dealers. It is one of my favorite guns and use it on the clays course. It does shoot where you are looking. I liked it so much, I just bought one like it in 20 ga. Now I take them both. I use the 20 for the shorter shots and the 16 for the more difficult ones. I think you will be very happy with one and for the money, you can't beat them.
druminman
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

I bought mine from Reed's as well a couple months ago. They said then they only had four left too. This is obviously a marketing ploy, or else they don't have a 28" Lightening any more. None the less, at $1500 it is the best price I found after searching the web for a couple days, and they ship for $20.
longwalker
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:43 am  Reply with quote

I have used mine for only one season, but now i don't know why i have a 20ga Superposed in the rack.... the 16 citori shoots better and carries as well. got rid of my old 12 ga citori - too heavy and slow to swing. Stock dimensions are different too. i highly reccommend the 16 Citori lighting.

chilly460
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:02 am  Reply with quote

I found a very good price at Impact Guns for a White Lightning. Cheapest I'd seen it anywhere else was $1599 at Reeds for the White Lightning, and $1499 for the Lightning. Impact has White Lightnings for $1417.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/SS-12441.html

I'm very tempted to pick one up. I've also found a very nice used Feather Lightning 16ga at my local gun shop for $1799 which is a good, not great, price.

Anyone comment on how the Feather Lightnings hold up? I would want to do quite a bit of clay shooting as well, is the Feather too light for a decent volume of shooting? Sorry if this is off track, I can move to a new thread if this is inappropriate.
Citori16
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:13 am  Reply with quote

I have a White Lightning and a Grade VI in 26", love them both, and the Brileys I bought for them. The White I bought through Carolina Sporting Arms, $1600 I think or whatever the MSRP was at the time. The Grade VI I bought through a store in Kalamazoo, MI, name escapes me. They had this gun on gunbroker.com and it went for around $3000 which was a steal! Very Happy This was a couple years after the first new run, must have been a holdover. I prefer the 26" where most people don't so this may be the reason why it went for such a bargain.

I only wish the Grade VI had the grouse and quail inlays that the new Grade VII has.. Rolling Eyes

It would be nice if they had buttpads, too, but I can't break down to have them put on.

XVIgauge
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:49 am  Reply with quote

Went to the site. It says the Grand Lightning weighs between 7 and 7 lbs 4 oz. w/ 26 inch barrels. My DeHaan w/ 28 inch barrels weighs 7 lbs 2 oz. For $800 more, what is the advantage of the Browning over my DeHaan?
XVI

XVIgauge
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:55 am  Reply with quote

Correction. Not Grand Lightning, but White Lightning. Anyway, what's the advantage for twice the money?
XVI

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:02 am  Reply with quote

Its a typo. 16 ga. Grand lightnings weigh between 6.5 to 6.12 lbs typically. The heaviest one I ever held weighed 6 lbs, 13 ounces w/ 28" barrels. White lightnings are about 5% less in weight due to lighter wood. The difference? Night and day. the Browning is a much better made gun and will hold a much higher % of its value much longer. If you doubt this, try selling your DeHaan.